Is a Joint JD-Policy Degree Worth It? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
chaitealatte

New

Is a Joint JD-Policy Degree Worth It?

Post by chaitealatte » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:00 am

So, I have experience working at Human Rights Watch and a few similar orgs. The vast majority of people I work with, and have the sort of careers I aspire to have, are lawyers who mostly work in the policy world doing research, writing reports-- basically my dream job. HRW or something similar is ultimately where I hope to end up as well. My question-- does anyone have experience with dual degree programs from traditional policy schools such as Tufts Fletcher or Harvard Kennedy, and what impact it might have to get a dual degree in this field? I've talked to several of the lawyers I worked with and they all seemed to say that a degree from a top law school would be sufficient- but I also feel like it's a different world now than it was 20 years ago when they were all entering the job market. So-- is it smarter to do a joint program? Just a JD? Give up on law school and apply only to policy programs? I'd love any insight. Thanks!

stego

Platinum

Re: Is a Joint JD-Policy Degree Worth It?

Post by stego » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:31 am

I don't know, probably not worth it to get a dual degree, but what do I know? Interested what others think.

alyzeebra

New

Post by alyzeebra » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:06 pm

I am in the same boat. HKS joint MPP and JD would be ideal... I think. I have heard from many lawyers though that if you have a JD, it might add more weight to your word than just a policy degree. In addition it helps to know about laws, etc when creating policy because you'll know more about what to expect from that aspect. On the other hand, I don't think you can ever have too much education and a joint degree would not hurt you, other than adding an extra year and extra debt.

handsonthewheel

Bronze

Post by handsonthewheel » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:14 pm

From my research into this, the answer is that it is not really worth it or necessary.

If you want to be a lawyer, get the JD. If you want to do policy work, you can do either, but the MPP from a top school is going to likely get you where you want to go, do it faster, provide more resources for that goal and specifically train you to do that work.

In my meager experience practicing so far, my view of joint degrees is that they really are just for appearance and no one really cares. There may be areas where a joint degree us useful (if you have a masters in EE or something, great), but my perception is that if you need expertise in an non-legal area in the practice of law, it is entirely assumed and expected that you learn what you need to while practicing.

If you're for sure not going to pay for it (PI/gov't), then do whatever you want (and hope for the best). But if you may go private practice/private work, then you will want to think long and hard about the additional cost. If you want to do policy work, it's probably better to get the MPP and then you can later decide if you want to get out and do law.

Abraham Lincoln Uni.

Bronze

Post by Abraham Lincoln Uni. » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:05 pm

A JD degree can open many doors for students, whether they plan to open their own practice, work for a firm, teach, or simply to have knowledge regarding the law. In general, having a JD degree can only enhance your knowledge and understanding regardless of what career you may embark in. You may also attend law school as a part time student or find a joint program. Either way, it will be beneficial. It may also be wise to speak to those in the field you wish to pursue, both older and newer generations, especially employers. This will give you a better idea if it does even make a difference.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:07 pm

Abraham Lincoln Uni. wrote:A JD degree can open many doors for students, whether they plan to open their own practice, work for a firm, teach, or simply to have knowledge regarding the law. In general, having a JD degree can only enhance your knowledge and understanding regardless of what career you may embark in. You may also attend law school as a part time student or find a joint program. Either way, it will be beneficial. It may also be wise to speak to those in the field you wish to pursue, both older and newer generations, especially employers. This will give you a better idea if it does even make a difference.
Pls stop

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:11 pm

Abraham Lincoln Uni. wrote:A JD degree can open many doors for students, whether they plan to open their own practice, work for a firm, teach, or simply to have knowledge regarding the law. In general, having a JD degree can only enhance your knowledge and understanding regardless of what career you may embark in. You may also attend law school as a part time student or find a joint program. Either way, it will be beneficial. It may also be wise to speak to those in the field you wish to pursue, both older and newer generations, especially employers. This will give you a better idea if it does even make a difference.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....

*gasp*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*gasp*

The only thing it's good for is parting you form your unearned money and extending your debt slavery.

To the OP- if you want a shot at marquee public interest shops as a lawyer, you had better get into Yale or a close equivalent. The impact of a joint degree will be marginal.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:49 pm

[quote="Abraham Lincoln Uni."]A JD degree can open many doors for students, whether they plan to open their own practice, work for a firm, teach, or simply to have knowledge regarding the law. In general, having a JD degree can only enhance your knowledge and understanding regardless of what career you may embark in. You may also attend law school as a part time student or find a joint program. Either way, it will be beneficial. It may also be wise to speak to those in the field you wish to pursue, both older and newer generations, especially employers. This will give you a better idea if it does even make a difference.[/quote]

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:19 am

I'm in the same boat as you are. I'm doing my MPP abroad - to save time/money - and then plan on working for a few years. Then, depending on how my career track is progressing, and a whole bunch of other stuff, I'll decide if I want to go to LS.

PM me, we can talk about this in length.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:57 am

I think if you can do the joint degree for free or little to no cost over the JD, do it. I have a joint degree and I think it's been helpful. But 4 years of intense grad school is a lot, and can be very expensive. You need to be VERY sure of what you want.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”