JD as Dr. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
dr123

Gold

Re: JD as Dr.

Post by dr123 » Sun May 15, 2011 3:22 pm

Ph.D's who insist on being called Dr. are the biggest fuckin douches

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Sun May 15, 2011 3:23 pm

There is a local politician who demands people adress him as Dr. because he has a JD.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun May 15, 2011 3:25 pm

Scratch what I said above, anyone who insists on being called Dr. who isn't a Doctor of Medicine is a fuckin douche

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Sun May 15, 2011 3:26 pm

I just get annoyed by people who put every degree they've ever had after their name.

ie.

Dear Steve,

What time is the dinner?

Sincerely,

Dr. John Smith, Ph.D, MPA, MBA, JD

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun May 15, 2011 3:28 pm

aliarrow wrote:I just get annoyed by people who put every degree they've ever had after their name.

ie.

Dear Steve,

What time is the dinner?

Sincerely,

Dr. John Smith, Ph.D, MPA, MBA, JD
LOL, I'm gonna start signing notes, e-mails, and shit: "_________, BA"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lmfao

New

Post by lmfao » Sun May 15, 2011 3:33 pm

dr123 wrote:Scratch what I said above, anyone who insists on being called Dr. who isn't a Doctor of Medicine is a fuckin douche
PhD's are the original/real 'doctors'. Like the majority of the population, you, sir, are ignorant and not well-informed.

"The term “doctor” is derived from the Latin verb docere, which means “to teach.” Historically, it refers to a teacher or, by extension, a scholar. It did not specifically refer to a physician. This title was later co-opted by the medical community though, due to the respect and prestige that it imputes. In one of life’s great ironies, many uninformed laypeople now perceive the medical degree to be more prestigious than the lowly PhD, declaring that people who have earned the latter are “not real doctors.

When someone declares that physicians are the only real doctors, he/she is simply mistaken. PhDs have every right to this title–and I say that based on the title’s etymology, the demands of their programs and the accepted, contemporary usage of this term, even outside of academic circles."

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun May 15, 2011 3:37 pm

lmfao wrote:
dr123 wrote:Scratch what I said above, anyone who insists on being called Dr. who isn't a Doctor of Medicine is a fuckin douche
PhD's are the original/real 'doctors'. Like the majority of the population, you, sir, are ignorant and not well-informed.

"The term “doctor” is derived from the Latin verb docere, which means “to teach.” Historically, it refers to a teacher or, by extension, a scholar. It did not specifically refer to a physician. This title was later co-opted by the medical community though, due to the respect and prestige that it imputes. In one of life’s great ironies, many uninformed laypeople now perceive the medical degree to be more prestigious than the lowly PhD, declaring that people who have earned the latter are “not real doctors.

When someone declares that physicians are the only real doctors, he/she is simply mistaken. PhDs have every right to this title–and I say that based on the title’s etymology, the demands of their programs and the accepted, contemporary usage of this term, even outside of academic circles."
Oh c'mon dude, what the fuck ever. It is well known that in current times Dr. is synonymous with Doctor of Medicine. You're right though, Ph.D.'s have all the right in the world to call themselves doctors, but that doesn't mean they're not douches for doing it.

Also I never said Ph.D.'s are less prestigious than M.D.'s or any of those other inferences you seemed to make from my statement. A Ph.D. is a very impressive and prestigious thing to have in my book. But if you have a Ph.D. and have interactions like this:

1: Hello, Mr. _____
2: Oh, it's Dr. _____
1: oh sorry, what type of medicine do you practice
2: I'm a Dr. of Russian Literature

...then you're a fuckin douche.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sun May 15, 2011 3:42 pm

Veyron wrote:In my experience, its the people from TTTs that insist on the letters after their name. The only guy who I'm making call me doctor after I graduate is my Med-Student brother, and then, only because it will piss him the fuck off.
TITCR

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun May 15, 2011 3:44 pm

lmfao wrote:
Dr. JD wrote:I find it almost funny (a bit pathetic) that my degree reads "Juris Doctor" which translates into English as Doctor of Law and I have to read a PhD tell me how hard or not it was to earn my degree. One even suggested that a JD is easier to get than a PhD, so that is why lawyers in America (not true in many other countries) do not go by doctors. This rigor argument is also bunk...it takes approximately 90 semester credits to earn a JD and only 50-60 semester credits (post bachelors) plus a 20-30 credit dissertation. So either do an extra 10 doctoral level classes or a dissertation. Neither sound easy.

THE REASON LAWYERS DON'T OFTEN GO BY DOCTOR... HISTORICALLY (A TRADITION CARRIED FROM ENGLAND AND NOT FROM MAINLAND EUROPE) LAWYERS EARNED A BACHELORS DEGREE (AS DO PHYSICIANS IN ENGLAND TO THIS VERY DAY) AND WHEN THE REMAINING LAW SCHOOLS IN THIS COUNTRY DROPPED THE LL.B. (CIRCA 1960s) MOST OF THE LAWYERS AT THAT TIME DID NOT HAVE A DOCTORATE AND THEY DID NOT WANT TO FEEL LESS IMPORTANT THROUGH "SELF-LAUDATION" OF THE NEW LAW GRADUATES WITH PROFESSIONAL DOCTORATES CALLING THEMSELVES DOCTOR, SO THEY FAUGHT TO PREVENT THE NEW LAWYERS FROM CALLING THEMSELVES DOCTORS. THAT'S IT! END OF STORY.

THE SOLUTION IS FOR ALL LAWYERS NOW TO BEGIN CALLING THEMSELVES BY THE DEGREE THAT THEY EARNED...NOT A BACHELORS, NOT A MASTERS BUT A DOCTORATE. THANK YOU, DR. JD
I truly hope that you are trolling, otherwise, you are one sad delusional individual. Let me break it down for you:

MD: 4 years in medical school + 4 years of residency.
PhD: 2 years in graduate school (classes) + 3-5 years of research resulting in the "ORIGINAL" contribution to knowledge + 2-4 years of post-doc (the latter is required for most 'good' research positions in the academia). NO respected university will give you a MS in 1 year and a PhD in 2 years. (unless you are a genius and/or are studying in a 'fourth rate university' which happens to have an accelerated/worthless graduate program)
JD: 3 years of classes with NO original contribution to knowledge.....

JD (aka Masters degree) requires MUCH LESS WORK than MD/PhD. Anyone saying otherwise is either trolling or plain stupid.

It might have been "hard" for you to get a JD, but, at the same time, it might have been hard for a mentally challenged person to finish high school... should we call him/her "Doctor" as well ??????
I don't think JD's should call themselves doctors. But why are you counting post degree work for MD and PhD and not for JD. You might as well count Big Law for JD.

Also MD's don't produce any original content either. In fact JD's probably do more because are required (at least at my school) to write an original paper, but it's a joke compared to a thesis for a PhD.

Finally, lumping all PhD's together is stupid. The only hard part about a PhD in the humanities is going six years ignoring how utterly useless your work is and piling through years of academic bureaucracy to create a work that nobody will ever read. It's not hard, nor important. You guys are just underpaid lectures for Universities.

A PhD in the sciences is considerably more difficult.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sun May 15, 2011 3:45 pm

aliarrow wrote:
Veyron wrote:In my experience, its the people from TTTs that insist on the letters after their name. The only guy who I'm making call me doctor after I graduate is my Med-Student brother, and then, only because it will piss him the fuck off.
I always laugh some when I have to get info from the Pasco Clerk.
Attention Whoring to the max.
Better = the waving American flag graphic in the header.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun May 15, 2011 3:45 pm

Anyone who insists on being called Doctor, who isn't treating me medically, personally, is a douche.

masochist

Bronze

Post by masochist » Sun May 15, 2011 4:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anyone who insists on being called Doctor, who isn't treating me medically, personally, is a douche.
+1

Calling non-medical personnel “doctor” is confusing. Physicians, psychologists, dentists, etc should be called “doctor” in professional settings as a way of indicating that they have the authority to issue medical orders independently. Anyone else who insists upon the title is a douche. Furthermore, any one of the above groups who insists upon the use of the title outside of a professional setting is a douche.

If a lawyer called himself “doctor,” I would mercilessly mock him. This would be beyond lame.

lmfao

New

Post by lmfao » Sun May 15, 2011 4:20 pm

dr123 wrote:

But if you have a Ph.D. and have interactions like this:

1: Hello, Mr. _____
2: Oh, it's Dr. _____
1: oh sorry, what type of medicine do you practice
2: I'm a Dr. of Russian Literature

...then you're a fuckin douche.
I agree, partially... it heavily depends on the situation - the above interaction would've been perfectly normal during a research conference where you have PhD's, grad students, undergrads, media, etc.
Desert Fox wrote:I don't think JD's should call themselves doctors. But why are you counting post degree work for MD and PhD and not for JD. You might as well count Big Law for JD.

Also MD's don't produce any original content either. In fact JD's probably do more because are required (at least at my school) to write an original paper, but it's a joke compared to a thesis for a PhD.

Finally, lumping all PhD's together is stupid. The only hard part about a PhD in the humanities is going six years ignoring how utterly useless your work is and piling through years of academic bureaucracy to create a work that nobody will ever read. It's not hard, nor important. You guys are just underpaid lectures for Universities.

A PhD in the sciences is considerably more difficult.
I am counting post degree work for MDs because (at least in most medical schools in my state) physicians cannot call themselves "Doctor" until after they complete their residencies. And here we have JD's calling themselves "Dr." straight out of law school :)

I was trying to stress the point that once you spend 3 years in law school and get your JD, you can work as a lawyer and earn vast amounts of $$. Not so with MDs/PhDs - they have to 'suffer' a few more years.

I will agree that "most" MDs do not produce any original content (some do). However, even suggesting that JDs have the same workload as MDs is downright stupid. There is no comparison.

Finally, it is simply not true that a PhD in humanities is a 'walk in the park'. It all depends on the University and the faculty.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lmfao

New

Post by lmfao » Sun May 15, 2011 4:34 pm

masochist wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
+1

Calling non-medical personnel “doctor” is confusing. Physicians, psychologists, dentists, etc should be called “doctor” in professional settings as a way of indicating that they have the authority to issue medical orders independently. Anyone else who insists upon the title is a douche. Furthermore, any one of the above groups who insists upon the use of the title outside of a professional setting is a douche.

If a lawyer called himself “doctor,” I would mercilessly mock him. This would be beyond lame.
So, according to you, we shouldn't call someone with a PhD "doctor" because it is "confusing"?? I hope you are joking.... PhD's are the original 'Doctors'.

Anyone who has the patience and intelligence to earn a PhD deserves to be called "Doctor". No butts about it. Those people earned the title after all. You gotta hand it to the MD's PR though, they did an outstanding job 'educating' the general population...
Last edited by lmfao on Sun May 15, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Sun May 15, 2011 4:38 pm

JDs should never be called Dr. because then we would have to call all JD recipients doctor. Think about it, all Cooley and Phoenix School of Law grads would be called doctor. Not in my world.

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Sun May 15, 2011 4:39 pm

lmfao wrote:
masochist wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
+1

Anyone who has the patience and intelligence to earn a PhD deserves to be called "Doctor". No butts about it. Those people earned the title after all. You gotta hand it to the MD's PR though, they did an outstanding job 'educating' the general population...
Egregious Pheonix trolling

lmfao

New

Post by lmfao » Sun May 15, 2011 4:51 pm

aliarrow wrote:
Egregious Pheonix trolling
:) Granted, that is not a very prestigious degree (to say the least). However, I would still call someone with A PhD from UOP a "Dr.", but that's just me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bartlebee06

Bronze

Post by Bartlebee06 » Sun May 15, 2011 5:07 pm

It takes a lot to get a PhD, so in academia they deserve to be called that. Outside of that setting the only people who should be called "Doctor" are MD's. As far as J.D. is concerned, being called attorney, lawyer, counselor, etc. is prestigious enough. Leave the doctor connotation to the people who worked 100 hrs.+ to get through residency and have the ability to hand out narcotics.

By 100 hrs.+ I meant per week.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sun May 15, 2011 5:17 pm

Bartlebee06 wrote:As far as J.D. is concerned, being called attorney, lawyer, counselor, etc. is prestigious enough.
Egregious attorney trolling.

ThomasMN

Bronze

Post by ThomasMN » Sun May 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Bartlebee06 wrote:It takes a lot to get a PhD, so in academia they deserve to be called that. Outside of that setting the only people who should be called "Doctor" are MD's. As far as J.D. is concerned, being called attorney, lawyer, counselor, etc. is prestigious enough. Leave the doctor connotation to the people who worked 100 hrs.+ to get through residency and have the ability to hand out narcotics.

You know, some people have such a love affair with MD's, I don't really get it. Sure there are people who become doctors to help and heal people, but there are also people who enter a dozen other professions - that don't get paid anywhere near six figures - that help people as well. Looking at how the medical profession in America treats the rest of the population does not exactly engender a lot of respect.

Anyone who demands to be called a certain title might - emphasis on might - be a douche, but you're also a disrespectful douche bag if you can't extend someone the courtesy to address them by their formal title. I know its unthinkable for people to think that someone might actually like to be treated with respect. That being said, don't go telling people to refer to you as Dr. so and so when you have a JD. At the very most you might ask to be referred to as Mr. or Mrs. when in a professional environment etc.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun May 15, 2011 5:32 pm

ThomasMN wrote:
Bartlebee06 wrote:It takes a lot to get a PhD, so in academia they deserve to be called that. Outside of that setting the only people who should be called "Doctor" are MD's. As far as J.D. is concerned, being called attorney, lawyer, counselor, etc. is prestigious enough. Leave the doctor connotation to the people who worked 100 hrs.+ to get through residency and have the ability to hand out narcotics.

You know, some people have such a love affair with MD's, I don't really get it. Sure there are people who become doctors to help and heal people, but there are also people who enter a dozen other professions - that don't get paid anywhere near six figures - that help people as well. Looking at how the medical profession in America treats the rest of the population does not exactly engender a lot of respect.

Anyone who demands to be called a certain title might - emphasis on might - be a douche, but you're also a disrespectful douche bag if you can't extend someone the courtesy to address them by their formal title. I know its unthinkable for people to think that someone might actually like to be treated with respect. That being said, don't go telling people to refer to you as Dr. so and so when you have a JD. At the very most you might ask to be referred to as Mr. or Mrs. when in a professional environment etc.
If law ceased to exist, then the JD would be worthless.
If we invented a self-repairing car, we would no longer need mechanics.
If we invented a self-flipping hamburger, we would no longer need burger flippers.
If all people became immortal, then the MD would be worthless.

Taking bets on which one is least likely.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bartlebee06

Bronze

Post by Bartlebee06 » Sun May 15, 2011 5:33 pm

So what would you call this guy?

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun May 15, 2011 5:34 pm

Bartlebee06 wrote:So what would you call this guy?

Mike Myers?

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Sun May 15, 2011 5:36 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
If law ceased to exist, then the JD would be worthless.
If we invented a self-repairing car, we would no longer need mechanics.
If we invented a self-flipping hamburger, we would no longer need burger flippers.
If all people became immortal, then the MD would be worthless.

Taking bets on which one is least likely.
$5 on self-flipping hamburger. The big burger lobby (a/k/a Big Mac) would never allow it. You think the tobacco lobby is powerful? LOLOL

Bartlebee06

Bronze

Post by Bartlebee06 » Sun May 15, 2011 5:36 pm

Just sayin'

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”