C & F: "Any Educational/Academic Institution" Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
anonid

New

C & F: "Any Educational/Academic Institution"

Post by anonid » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:39 pm

Harvard and NYU (among others I imagine) want to know about suspensions disciplinary/academic issues at any academic institution attended. They pretty much leave it at that. This is in contrast to most schools who say "after high school," "any college, university, post-secondary educational institution," etc.

Do these schools want to hear bout high school/grade school suspensions? Harvard doesn't even require a high school name in the education section...

Attax

Gold

Re: C & F: "Any Educational/Academic Institution"

Post by Attax » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:16 pm

When in doubt email and ask or disclose.

anonid

New

Post by anonid » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:32 am

I was hoping someone had already asked...

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:18 am

anonid wrote:I was hoping someone had already asked...
If you have doubt, and you opt not to disclose, what is your follow-up conversation going to be should it become an issue later? Will you reply that you opted not to disclose because some random person on an Internet forum told you not to?

js1663

Bronze

Post by js1663 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:32 am

As others have said, you should email and ask when in doubt.

With that said, I did email them, and below are the responses I got from Harvard and NYU:

Harvard:
Good afternoon, and thank you for your message. Responses to Character and Fitness questions should include any relevant situations from post-secondary school institutions, i.e., college and beyond. However, if there is a significant character and fitness issue from prior to your collegiate studies that you feel should be brought to the attention of the committee, you are welcome to include it in your answers. Please note that your character and fitness question answers should be consistent with any future institutional and legal documents such as your college certifications (we require these after admission) and your bar application.

NYU:
Any disciplinary action imposed by a college or university must be disclosed, regardless of your age at the time of the incident. Disciplinary action imposed by an elementary or secondary school need not be disclosed unless it included a violation of the law.
haus wrote:
If you have doubt, and you opt not to disclose, what is your follow-up conversation going to be should it become an issue later? Will you reply that you opted not to disclose because some random person on an Internet forum told you not to?
As Haus said, even though i'm posting the answers here, you absolutely should email them get verification yourself in case it somehow comes back that they wanted it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nekrowizard

Bronze

Post removed.

Post by Nekrowizard » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:36 am

Post removed.
Last edited by Nekrowizard on Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anonid

New

Post by anonid » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:31 am

js1663 wrote:
With that said, I did email them, and below are the responses I got from Harvard and NYU:

Harvard:
Good afternoon, and thank you for your message. Responses to Character and Fitness questions should include any relevant situations from post-secondary school institutions, i.e., college and beyond. However, if there is a significant character and fitness issue from prior to your collegiate studies that you feel should be brought to the attention of the committee, you are welcome to include it in your answers. Please note that your character and fitness question answers should be consistent with any future institutional and legal documents such as your college certifications (we require these after admission) and your bar application.

NYU:
Any disciplinary action imposed by a college or university must be disclosed, regardless of your age at the time of the incident. Disciplinary action imposed by an elementary or secondary school need not be disclosed unless it included a violation of the law.
haus wrote:
As Haus said, even though i'm posting the answers here, you absolutely should email them get verification yourself in case it somehow comes back that they wanted it.

Thank you and I agree. I was worried about annoying them with a question they probably get very often, though I suppose they can change the wording on that question any time they like.

js1663

Bronze

Post by js1663 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:36 am

anonid wrote:
js1663 wrote:

Harvard:

NYU:
haus wrote:

Thank you and I agree. I was worried about annoying them with a question they probably get very often, though I suppose they can change the wording on that question any time they like.
Yep don't worry about it just email them so you can say you heard it from them. I highly doubt they've ever nixed someone as long as it's a normal email, and they'll give you a simple short response or a template response about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”