How does the ABA enforce the 20 hour work week min for ... Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
konoha

New

How does the ABA enforce the 20 hour work week min for ...

Post by konoha » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:21 pm

those schools that allow full-time students to work during the week? Can they track over time hours worked over 20? If so how?

Thank you.

McAvoy

Gold

Re: How does the ABA enforce the 20 hour work week min for ...

Post by McAvoy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:23 pm

They don't

B.B. Homemaker

Gold

Post by B.B. Homemaker » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:23 pm

konoha wrote:those schools that allow full-time students to work during the week? Can they track over time hours worked over 20? If so how?

Thank you.
I think the punishment is kind of built in when you bomb 1L and have a very difficult road ahead of you. Also unless you're getting cash in an envelope, there'll be some form of paper trail and yeah no, why risk it? Work with your school if money is the issue.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:24 pm

It's kind of a self-inflicted punishment. If you're going to try and work 20+ hours a week, you're in for a world of hurt regardless of anything the ABA can do to you.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:26 pm

twenty wrote:It's kind of a self-inflicted punishment. If you're going to try and work 20+ hours a week, you're in for a world of hurt regardless of anything the ABA can do to you.
I volunteered 20 hours a week during 2LOL and my GPA skyrocketed. Plus I got great experience that was def. discussed in interviews.

But I agree, you should not risk it during 1HELL.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

konoha

New

Post by konoha » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:50 pm

Hi,
Thanks all for the quick replies!

The 20 hours a week would be done at home. Most times, I can finish the work much sooner than the 20 hours. I'd like to work mainly because.... my kids need things.

B.B. Homemaker

Gold

Post by B.B. Homemaker » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:53 pm

Just be careful. I know life has its demands outside of law school, but I strongly caution against jeopardizing performance during 1L unless absolutely necessary.

Knowing nothing about your career plans or situation, that is. I could be way off base, so ymmv.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:18 pm

B.B. Homemaker wrote:Just be careful. I know life has its demands outside of law school, but I strongly caution against jeopardizing performance during 1L unless absolutely necessary.

Knowing nothing about your career plans or situation, that is. I could be way off base, so ymmv.
Agreed. You may have plenty of time now, but the week before the memo is due and the month before finals will be hard enough without having to work 20 hours a week on top of that.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:19 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
B.B. Homemaker wrote:Just be careful. I know life has its demands outside of law school, but I strongly caution against jeopardizing performance during 1L unless absolutely necessary.

Agreed. You may have plenty of time now, but the week before the memo is due and the month before finals will be hard enough without having to work 20 hours a week on top of that.
Plus kids.

Kids + 20 hours a week of work +1L sounds like a disaster, or at least a bad plan.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:02 am

konoha wrote:Hi,
Thanks all for the quick replies!

The 20 hours a week would be done at home. Most times, I can finish the work much sooner than the 20 hours. I'd like to work mainly because.... my kids need things.
Do NOT risk it. If you want BigLaw, clerkships (and other opportunities that hire before 3LOL), 1L is THE most important and crucial year. You don't want to be left thinking, "If only I had more time to devote to outlining during 1L", etc.

That said, I am a public interest gunner and devoted 2-3 hours a week at a pro bono project, during the semester except around finals. It definitely was looked favorably upon by employers and was mentioned in interviews. I know people in the top of the class/LR who volunteered A LITTLE BIT during 1L. But don't go overboard.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”