Computer issues during exam? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
1e4

New

Computer issues during exam?

Post by 1e4 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:34 pm

Has anyone ever seen this happen before? Would you just be screwed if you had computer failure or something absurd during the exam?

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Re: Computer issues during exam?

Post by Mal Reynolds » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:41 pm

1e4 wrote:Has anyone ever seen this happen before? Would you just be screwed if you had computer failure or something absurd during the exam?
At my school you can tell your proctor and they will normally bring you out of the room and help you fix your computer, or give you a new one. You get all your wasted time back. But if you're having computer problems I would take care of those immediately.

Zero99

New

Post by Zero99 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:52 pm

You don't get your wasted time back at my school and you can very easily get screwed over by technical problems. ive seen it happen- examsoft is a pretty shitty piece of software. You have to start writing the exam by hand, which puts you at a huge disadvantage wrt other students. If you think you may have some tech problems, see how your school handles it during exams and get that shit sorted out now

1e4

New

Post by 1e4 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:57 pm

Zero99 wrote:You don't get your wasted time back at my school and you can very easily get screwed over by technical problems. ive seen it happen- examsoft is a pretty shitty piece of software. You have to start writing the exam by hand, which puts you at a huge disadvantage wrt other students. If you think you may have some tech problems, see how your school handles it during exams and get that shit sorted out now
So will examsoft save what you already have in the case of a shutdown? Or would you just have to start over? Not asking this question because it's likely to happen, but it seems relevant to know for an end of the year exam that will determine your entire grade.

1e4

New

Post by 1e4 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:57 pm

I'm hoping most school's policies would be like Mal's and give you back the time that was wasted.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:01 pm

Or don't be a cheapskate and get a new computer.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:02 pm

Supposedly Examsoft constantly saves what you have typed. Or something. That's what they tell us.

At my school if you have computer problems they give you a piece of scratch paper and tell you to start writing until they can fix your computer. You don't get any extra time as far as I know. Saw it happen to another student in my first exam fall semester.

I think Mal's school's policy is better.

In b4 UTTT

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:01 pm

BigZuck wrote:Supposedly Examsoft constantly saves what you have typed. Or something. That's what they tell us.

At my school if you have computer problems they give you a piece of scratch paper and tell you to start writing until they can fix your computer. You don't get any extra time as far as I know. Saw it happen to another student in my first exam fall semester.

I think Mal's school's policy is better.

In b4 UTTT
UTTT

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:33 pm

At my school, you went to the registrar and she set you up with a school laptop reserved for the purpose. I don't think you got any additional time, but the time you spent dealing with the problems didn't count toward your total. It never happened to me, so I don't know whether they were able to retrieve what you'd typed in ExamSoft or what, but the mechanical problems weren't held against you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”