Applying for TFA and LS - Same time or not? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
hmhultma

New

Applying for TFA and LS - Same time or not?

Post by hmhultma » Thu May 22, 2014 10:49 pm

I'm fairly certain I'd like to take time between UG and LS, if nothing but to gain more experience and see more of the country than just MS. I'm very interested in TFA, and I know that many law schools grant deferrals for admitted students who wish to do TFA. My question: is it better to apply for LS and TFA, then ask for a deferral, or just TFA (and a few other teaching programs so I don't put all my eggs in the TFA basket), and apply for law school as my TFA time comes to a close?

For reference about my chances as an applicant (not sure if you need this, but may as well):

GPA: 3.84
LSAT: I haven't taken the LSAT yet, but my practice tests average 172

Thank you so much!

jkhalfa

Bronze

Re: Applying for TFA and LS - Same time or not?

Post by jkhalfa » Thu May 22, 2014 10:58 pm

Is TFA worth anything as a soft? If so, you'd want to apply to LS after being accepted to TFA. That could possibly rule out applying to both at the same time; I don't know specifics about the TFA timeline, so I'm not sure.

hmhultma

New

Post by hmhultma » Thu May 22, 2014 11:22 pm

jkhalfa wrote:Is TFA worth anything as a soft? If so, you'd want to apply to LS after being accepted to TFA. That could possibly rule out applying to both at the same time; I don't know specifics about the TFA timeline, so I'm not sure.
I think that the worth as a soft would come from having some sort of experience, though that's really what my question is. The TFA timeline, as I understand it, would really require I apply to both at the same time, if I'm aiming for deferral.

Do you know if, to most T14 schools, it would be better to apply coming straight out of UG or with some time between for experience, which I would gain from TFA?

jkhalfa

Bronze

Post by jkhalfa » Thu May 22, 2014 11:39 pm

I'm a 0L, so take what I say with a grain of salt. However, I think constructive time off would definitely benefit you. TLS conventional wisdom says that work experience is a plus, and a lot of top law schools publish the average age of incoming students in their class profiles as if they pride themselves on having more mature students. In fact, a lot of K-JDs (applicants straight out of college) reported bad cycles this year. So, you'd likely benefit from TFA or other experience, and I don't see how it could be harmful.

Thus if applying to both now means that TFA won't go on your LS app, then waiting to apply to LS seems like the better choice. Future you will be just like present you but with an added soft of some positive value. (The trend is for school medians to go down, so I wouldn't worry about your numbers depreciating.)

riverwater

Bronze

Post by riverwater » Thu May 22, 2014 11:52 pm

Was in a similar situation and waited. You should too in order to increase your GPA and get WE. You may also decide it makes for a good PS. Also important: schools don't always defer scholarships.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Chrstgtr

Bronze

Post by Chrstgtr » Fri May 23, 2014 12:39 am

I agree you're better off waiting. Whatever your decision, I would make sure you are committed to TFA. I know many many people who thought they were set on TFA only to quit in the first 6 months. I do not know how that would affect a deferral but I cannot imagine it would be viewed favorably by a LS.

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Fri May 23, 2014 12:43 am

Just be a teacher if you want to teach.

riverwater

Bronze

Post by riverwater » Fri May 23, 2014 1:35 am

BillPackets wrote:Just be a teacher if you want to teach.
Lol you're allowed to have / pursue multiple interests

hmhultma

New

Post by hmhultma » Fri May 23, 2014 1:36 am

Thanks, y'all! I enjoy hearing the experience of others, and I'll probably wait to apply for LS during my TFA time, if I get it. Did you all take time between UG and LS? If so, what did you do during that time? Did you find the extra years beneficial? Was it difficult to get back into the swing of studying and sitting through lectures?
Particular thanks to you, sir. I didn't think the LS Application process would ever make me laugh, but this has got me chuckling every time I think of it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Fri May 23, 2014 2:03 am

riverwater wrote:
Lol you're allowed to have / pursue multiple interests
Lol @ y'all not knowin nething bout TFA. Go save those poor ppl.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri May 23, 2014 11:48 am

I would do TFA and apply to law school in two years. I can summarize several of the reasons provided in this thread already.
1) Completing your senior year of college will give you a full additional year of grades and the opportunity to increase your already stellar GPA, giving a bit more padding for the big T14 scholarships.
2) TFA is generally considered a decent soft. It will have a net positive impact on your application in a couple years.
3) You may lose your scholarship if you opt to defer at some schools.
4) Summer between TFA years (or right before boot camp) is a great time to work on the LSAT. It's one of the few relatively prestigious full time jobs coming out of undergrad that gives you a several month vacation. Conversely, senior year of college is a super shitty time to work on/take the LSAT. Feel free to sit for the October exam, but you'll do better once you've finished school.
5) Applying to both at the same time sounds like a shitty time, and you should be LIVING IT UP your senior year!!! It only gets worse from there.

bropulous

New

Post by bropulous » Sun May 25, 2014 12:00 am

I'm adding my vote to the "wait" camp. Another thing you might want to consider is that waiting to apply will help you to make a better decision about whether to go to law school at all. I took some time off between college and law school, and I learned a lot during that time about what I did and didn't want in a career. If you've already gotten into a great school, that's definitely going to color your perspective on the choice. I would hold off on taking the LSAT for the same reason, although the most important consideration there is when you'll have the most time to practice and do well on it.

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:16 pm

hmhultma wrote:Thanks, y'all! I enjoy hearing the experience of others, and I'll probably wait to apply for LS during my TFA time, if I get it. Did you all take time between UG and LS? If so, what did you do during that time? Did you find the extra years beneficial? Was it difficult to get back into the swing of studying and sitting through lectures?
I took 2 years off and taught (non-TFA). It was one of my better decisions. LS will always be there, and most applications get stronger as time goes by. Plus, not being a student is pretty great. Rock the TFA application, and enjoy your time 'out of school.'

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

xRON MEXiCOx

Diamond

Post by xRON MEXiCOx » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:17 pm

you can always turn one of them down...

presidents42

New

Post by presidents42 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:43 pm

I applied to both law school and TFA last year. I would definitely wait. After doing TFA, I've decided to pursue a career in education policy. I am incredibly glad to have had the work experience, and I never would have had my interest sparked without TFA. The two years are hard, don't get me wrong, but I feel like I have a much better sense of where I want my life to go after having done it. Feel free to inbox me if you have questions!

ntx

New

Post by ntx » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:12 pm

I'm on the other end -- I just finished two years of teaching with TFA and an additional third year without TFA; it was a rough decision to step away from teaching.

I can definitely say that the skills that I learned from TFA will definitely help with LS; working under pressure; failing (no need to explain more); huge successes after huge bouts of failure; being told you're awful at something; resiliency; learning when it's time to put yourself first; becoming a better person...

The list goes on. I feel sorry for an undergraduate that enters LS without any work experience -- while it might not impact how well they do in law school, it definitely puts those students at a disadvantage when faced with real-world problems as a lawyer. This is all hearsay :lol: . TFA just happened to have a huge impact on me as a person. I wasn't even a giant fan of TFA as an organization, yet I am hoping to still study education policy along with law next year. It was an invaluable experience.

Go with TFA or something else constructive. Working gave me a reason for why I want to study law -- it gave every social problem that I studied in college -- a face, if you will. Challenge yourself for 2 or 3 years, if you feel it will benefit you in the long run. LS can wait.

I've noticed that most of my friends who went into LS after college seem to hate everything about it; the ones who entered after working in the corporate world, TFA, Peace Corps, whatever seem to be optimistic about their LS experience; That's not to say that all of them love LS.
Last edited by ntx on Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:20 pm

Definitely apply for TFA now and apply to LS later on for all the reasons already given in this thread.
hmhultma wrote:Did you all take time between UG and LS? If so, what did you do during that time? Did you find the extra years beneficial? Was it difficult to get back into the swing of studying and sitting through lectures?
Yes. Something much less cool than TFA. Yes. Not at all.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”