TLS and adcoms Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
anyriotgirl

Platinum

Re: TLS and adcoms

Post by anyriotgirl » Mon May 19, 2014 1:57 am

Nova wrote:
HRomanus wrote:What are the repercussions on employment of being a TLS poster? In any case, I'm planning on significantly decreasing my activity here when I matriculate.
Seems extremely unlikely an empolyer will find you on TLS
idk i've been pretty open about my ug and sexual orientation i feel like there can't be THAT many people who fit my description running around lawyering

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon May 19, 2014 2:21 am

anyriotgirl wrote:
Nova wrote:
HRomanus wrote:What are the repercussions on employment of being a TLS poster? In any case, I'm planning on significantly decreasing my activity here when I matriculate.
Seems extremely unlikely an empolyer will find you on TLS
idk i've been pretty open about my ug and sexual orientation i feel like there can't be THAT many people who fit my description running around lawyering
Sure I'm outted too but I doubt they're even looking

And even if they are, just don't post anything too dumb and you should be fine, right?

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Mon May 19, 2014 2:27 am

I think some adcoms may have a problem with it because they dislike TLS. There was a poster last cycle who mentioned in his interview with the HLS head adcom that he thought TLS was a good resource, and she actively disagreed. I also know that she matched at least one applicant with their username this cycle.
Last edited by drawstring on Mon May 19, 2014 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon May 19, 2014 2:37 am

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Mon May 19, 2014 2:38 am

That's because adcoms think they have a monopoly on information about their school. That's fine I guess but it's not like it really matters. Just don't post your scores and what not until you get in. If you already have, then just don't say dumb things.

I don't know who in their right mind would mention TLS during a harvard interview. That dude deserves to get dinged.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Mon May 19, 2014 2:45 am

Also, to address an earlier post about why they'd have problem with data collection----it seems to me like adcoms are frequently vague in what they say and often backtrack. I also know of a few cases in which adcoms have told people stuff that definitely is not true. I could see how these types would have a problem with someone trying to make things more transparent, for example by collecting relevant data. Last cycle two posters with very good numbers were not accepted at Harvard, and they were both very active in data collection and analyzing. Obviously there could have been other reasons for their lack of success at Harvard, but as poster who is in a similar (though not quite as strong numbers) situation it makes me wonder.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Mon May 19, 2014 3:23 am

drawstring wrote:Also, to address an earlier post about why they'd have problem with data collection----it seems to me like adcoms are frequently vague in what they say and often backtrack. I also know of a few cases in which adcoms have told people stuff that definitely is not true. I could see how these types would have a problem with someone trying to make things more transparent, for example by collecting relevant data. Last cycle two posters with very good numbers were not accepted at Harvard, and they were both very active in data collection and analyzing. Obviously there could have been other reasons for their lack of success at Harvard, but as poster who is in a similar (though not quite as strong numbers) situation it makes me wonder.
lol, is this me?

PM me if you feel like chatting about anything related to this topic. I'd actually be interested in hearing this story about JS matching someone with their username this cycle.

chizzy

Silver

Post by chizzy » Mon May 19, 2014 4:38 am

I feel like the process to out someone is very easy especially when an ad comm could easily access their schools applicant thread. This gives them the opportunity to browse those threads frequently and get used to users. I feel like this even gives them the opportunity to out you without knowing your numbers and they might get passed with over analyzing.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Mon May 19, 2014 9:32 am

Mullens wrote:
Pancakes12 wrote:How do adcoms find out besides people explicitly posting their numbers or name?
People post things about interviews, where they're from, where they went to UG, work experience, etc. that would be pretty easy for adcomms to figure out if they remotely cared.
This is why it's best to post more vaguely about these specifics. Or just go private if you want to talk specifics with someone here.

ETA: oh, and don't post specific numbers, schools, etc. in your profile. Who cares about the adcomms? It's all about the potential employer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”