"Quality" of students at differing law schools Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
twenty 8

Bronze

Re: "Quality" of students at differing law schools

Post by twenty 8 » Sat May 10, 2014 10:53 pm

ymmv wrote: This guy has a bright future on the Hill.
If that didn't work out... there's always FOX.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat May 10, 2014 10:57 pm

twenty 8 wrote:
ymmv wrote: This guy has a bright future on the Hill.
If that didn't work out... there's always FOX.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sat May 10, 2014 11:08 pm

elterrible78 wrote:
CounselorNebby wrote:What is the trickle-down sandwich theory??!!
I guess Boop is right.

The short version of the story is that a group of us were doing some pro bono work at a homeless shelter, and had lunch brought in for both us (the students) and the clients (homeless people). The express understanding, reiterated in e-mails and verbal announcements, was that any leftover food would stay at the shelter to feed the homeless. I didn't even want to eat lunch, because I'd have rather the food went to someone else, but I figured whatever, there was a lot of food, and part of the whole idea was to eat lunch with the clients. As we were finishing up and leaving, though, a group of law students grabbed extra sandwiches, potato chips, sodas, cookies, etc., to take home with them. So, you know, in a way, TAKING FOOD FROM HOMELESS PEOPLE.

I mentioned this to one of the student government reps at school, and he just saw no problem with it. In fact, he lectured me, the homeless would be better off in the long run because we, as law students, have demanding lives, and need to meet our caloric requirements to study efficiently. And if we can meet those requirements, and study more efficiently, in the long run we will be better able to serve the homeless. So it really was in their benefit that we took the food, rather than leave it for them.

He wasn't joking.
I hate UChicago students more than most people and even I was shocked at this story.

bizzike

New

Post by bizzike » Sun May 11, 2014 12:11 am

OP is the kind of guy/girl who gets indignant that people don't compliment them enough on their new car (which would totally be a honda element)

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun May 11, 2014 1:48 pm

Can we get some money together to send another lunch over "with apologies from the local law student community"? Srs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Sun May 11, 2014 1:53 pm

Wow... Chicago...

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sun May 11, 2014 1:58 pm

The Economics of Justice: Law students need food over the homeless.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun May 11, 2014 2:08 pm

CounselorNebby wrote:The Economics of Justice: Law students need food over the homeless.
TBF it was consistent with Coase Theorem...

Pancakes12

Bronze

Post by Pancakes12 » Sun May 11, 2014 2:21 pm

IAFG wrote:
CounselorNebby wrote:The Economics of Justice: Law students need food over the homeless.
I don't see how this has anything to do with coase but I could be wrong

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun May 11, 2014 2:27 pm

Pancakes12 wrote:
IAFG wrote:
I don't see how this has anything to do with coase but I could be wrong
Obviously the law students put those chips to the highest value use.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sun May 11, 2014 2:51 pm

Hopefully the law students that took the food also have their parents footing the bill for their tuition. Thus the Economics of Justice circle would be complete.

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Sun May 11, 2014 3:04 pm

I just want to step in and say that I don't think this particular ass-clown's take on the entire episode is reflective of the student body. It's just an example of a student taking the "U of Chicago" approach and completely going to hell with the joke. The overwhelming majority of students who know about this think it is absolutely absurd, and I have to imagine even the most "Law and Economicsy" faculty would, too.

I just threw it out there as a particularly egregious example of bad student behavior and idiotic student justifications.

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Sun May 11, 2014 3:23 pm

elterrible78 wrote:I just want to step in and say that I don't think this particular ass-clown's take on the entire episode is reflective of the student body. It's just an example of a student taking the "U of Chicago" approach and completely going to hell with the joke. The overwhelming majority of students who know about this think it is absolutely absurd, and I have to imagine even the most "Law and Economicsy" faculty would, too.

I just threw it out there as a particularly egregious example of bad student behavior and idiotic student justifications.

Next year: the Homeless Hunger Games, sponsored by student government!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sun May 11, 2014 11:01 pm

IAFG wrote:Can we get some money together to send another lunch over "with apologies from the local law student community"? Srs.
Would go in on this.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 12, 2014 11:20 am

Differences in quality between schools within a couple slots on the USNWR survey are negligible and utterly meaningless. Differences in quality broad strokes between your local TTT and T13 are likely to be substantial. However, there will still be kids at state flagships who spurned top schools for full rides - generalizations in law school are inherently dangerous. The law school exam is a beast onto itself: at the end of the day you cannot predict how you will do relative to your classmates based on their performance in college.

More importantly, don't take this attitude with your peers. Starting assumption: you're not better than anyone, best not to take yourself too seriously or expect ridicule.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon May 12, 2014 11:42 am

jbagelboy wrote:Differences in quality between schools within a couple slots on the USNWR survey are negligible and utterly meaningless. Differences in quality broad strokes between your local TTT and T13 are likely to be substantial. However, there will still be kids at state flagships who spurned top schools for full rides - generalizations in law school are inherently dangerous. The law school exam is a beast onto itself: at the end of the day you cannot predict how you will do relative to your classmates based on their performance in college.

More importantly, don't take this attitude with your peers. Starting assumption: you're not better than anyone, best not to take yourself too seriously or expect ridicule.
It's not just the kids who spurned top schools. Some kids who barely got in off the waitlist at UNC are just smarter than Harvard students. The LSAT is a pretty blunt measurement. Now that LSAT forum nerds study for 6 months, it's probably utterly worthless.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon May 12, 2014 11:46 am

elterrible78 wrote:I just want to step in and say that I don't think this particular ass-clown's take on the entire episode is reflective of the student body. It's just an example of a student taking the "U of Chicago" approach and completely going to hell with the joke. The overwhelming majority of students who know about this think it is absolutely absurd, and I have to imagine even the most "Law and Economicsy" faculty would, too.

After Dany hooked us up with some of the shit that goes on with the U of C list serv, I guess I am skeptical.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon May 12, 2014 11:48 am

bjsesq wrote:

After Dany hooked us up with some of the shit that goes on with the U of C list serv, I guess I am skeptical.
Describe or link pls

mx23250

Silver

Post by mx23250 » Mon May 12, 2014 11:50 am

Fact of the matter is that some T14 students fail the bar exam while many TTTT students pass the exact same exam for the exact same state. Ambition and willingness to work hard is not rooted solely in UGPA and LSAT. Correlation does not equal causation.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon May 12, 2014 11:52 am

Desert Fox wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Describe or link pls
There were several sperg threads where dumb fucks talk about gay marriage, or the efficiency of poverty, and basically ten to fifteen asptards just douche out on each other.

Straw_Mandible

Bronze

Post by Straw_Mandible » Mon May 12, 2014 11:53 am

Desert Fox wrote: It's not just the kids who spurned top schools. Some kids who barely got in off the waitlist at UNC are just smarter than Harvard students. The LSAT is a pretty blunt measurement. Now that LSAT forum nerds study for 6 months, it's probably utterly worthless.
Except for the fact that it does a great job separating out the people who are willing to work that hard to achieve their goals. Which is probably a much stronger predictor of academic/professional success than the people who can waltz in and score 170+ on natural talent.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon May 12, 2014 11:57 am

Straw_Mandible wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: It's not just the kids who spurned top schools. Some kids who barely got in off the waitlist at UNC are just smarter than Harvard students. The LSAT is a pretty blunt measurement. Now that LSAT forum nerds study for 6 months, it's probably utterly worthless.
Except for the fact that it does a great job separating out the people who are willing to work that hard to achieve their goals. Which is probably a much stronger predictor of academic/professional success than the people who can waltz in and score 170+ on natural talent.
The disparity between people who study hard for the LSAT and people who don't is much much larger than people who study hard for the law school and those who don't. In my experience, at least at the t14, almost everyone studies enough to hit the point of diminishing returns.

The LSAT isn't supposed to be a test that you study for. It's a shitty measure of worth ethic.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Mon May 12, 2014 12:02 pm

Straw_Mandible wrote:
Fwiw: natural talent usually wins if at all motivated to succeed.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon May 12, 2014 12:14 pm

LSAT does a great job separating people by work ethic and ambition. Law school selectivity does the same thing. The difference between local schools and preftigious schools is intelligence and talent at the bottom 20% of the class, but differing goals and work ethic for the other 80%.

I for one have zero problems with this. My friends who attended top schools work about twice as much as I do every single day of their lives. If they earn more money than me over the course of our lifetimes, good on 'em. They deserve it. I just hope they enjoy their retirement, because they do not seem to be enjoying the journey to get there.

Straw_Mandible

Bronze

Post by Straw_Mandible » Mon May 12, 2014 12:36 pm

NYSprague wrote:
Straw_Mandible wrote:
Fwiw: natural talent usually wins if at all motivated to succeed.
Talent is overrated.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”