~500k Combined Debt- Manageable or Catastrophic? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
alicepaul

New

Re: ~500k Combined Debt- Manageable or Catastrophic?

Post by alicepaul » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:06 pm

Related question- how does debt repayment work for a married couple? I am lucky enough to be graduating without any debt, but my SO will be accumulating about $100,000 dollars in debt (including undergrad). When we get married, will his debt become my debt? If so, how would LRAP work considering I will almost certainly be doing PI (he may as well). I know there is a maximum income to be eligible, but how does that change with two incomes? Financially, does it make a difference if we get married before or after a large portion of the debt is paid off?

Sorry if this question is extremely convoluted.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:19 pm

alicepaul wrote:Related question- how does debt repayment work for a married couple? I am lucky enough to be graduating without any debt, but my SO will be accumulating about $100,000 dollars in debt (including undergrad). When we get married, will his debt become my debt? If so, how would LRAP work considering I will almost certainly be doing PI (he may as well). I know there is a maximum income to be eligible, but how does that change with two incomes? Financially, does it make a difference if we get married before or after a large portion of the debt is paid off?

The debt will remain individually yours, but your individual payment amount will be based on your combined household income. E.g. if you do PI and your spouse does big law, your individual payment will be much higher than if you were not married. How LRAP works will depend on how your school's LRAP interacts with the federal IBR/PAY-E programs.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:30 pm

rayiner wrote:
alicepaul wrote:Related question- how does debt repayment work for a married couple? I am lucky enough to be graduating without any debt, but my SO will be accumulating about $100,000 dollars in debt (including undergrad). When we get married, will his debt become my debt? If so, how would LRAP work considering I will almost certainly be doing PI (he may as well). I know there is a maximum income to be eligible, but how does that change with two incomes? Financially, does it make a difference if we get married before or after a large portion of the debt is paid off?

The debt will remain individually yours, but your individual payment amount will be based on your combined household income. E.g. if you do PI and your spouse does big law, your individual payment will be much higher than if you were not married. How LRAP works will depend on how your school's LRAP interacts with the federal IBR/PAY-E programs.
Alice, you'll have to crunch the numbers to figure out whether marriage is financially worth it. While married couples enjoy substantial tax benefits, you will also pay much more toward your student loan debt as a result of your IBR plan being based on your combined income. I know that sounds callous, but it doesn't mean you can't have the ceremony and reception. It just means that maybe you don't sign the marriage license.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:33 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Alice, you'll have to crunch the numbers to figure out whether marriage is financially worth it. While married couples enjoy substantial tax benefits, you will also pay much more toward your student loan debt as a result of your IBR plan being based on your combined income. I know that sounds callous, but it doesn't mean you can't have the ceremony and reception. It just means that maybe you don't sign the marriage license.

if you live in a common law state, could you run into trouble doing this?

alicepaul

New

Post by alicepaul » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:34 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Haha. That doesn't sound callous at all- I asked the question, didn't I? Obviously a piece of paper will not define our relationship, but considering that it is a large amount of money to pay off, it is something to take under serious consideration. Will definitely have to crunch the numbers to get a better sense of our options. Thank you for your help!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alicepaul

New

Post by alicepaul » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:35 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
rayiner wrote:

We will not as far as I know (attending Michigan).

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:37 pm

alicepaul wrote:
anyriotgirl wrote:
We will not (attending Michigan) and likely never will-- the states with common law are Alabama, Colorado, Kansas, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Iowa, Montana, Utah and Texas.
oh I was asking a question, not issuing a caution. I'm curious.

alicepaul

New

Post by alicepaul » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:37 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:
alicepaul wrote:
anyriotgirl wrote:
We will not (attending Michigan) and likely never will-- the states with common law are Alabama, Colorado, Kansas, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Iowa, Montana, Utah and Texas.
Oh my bad. That is a good question.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:38 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:
alicepaul wrote:
anyriotgirl wrote:
Possibly, but I think you'd have to be living together for a several years before that happens. Would have to do more research.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:43 pm

Married people do not really enjoy any tax benefits unless one spouse stays at home. A typical couple where both parties make similar money will pay a tax penalty. It's not a huge penalty, but it's significant (about $8k/year for a double big-law couple).

That said, it's not a reason not to get married. You won't pay more over the life of the loan if you're married versus single--your individual payments under PAY-E will just be different. Try this calculator: https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/m ... tor.action.

Also, there's good reasons to get married. Power of attorney if one person gets sick, etc.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:53 pm

Good point, lots to consider about marriage other than finances.

koalacity

Silver

Post by koalacity » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:57 pm

rayiner wrote:Married people do not really enjoy any tax benefits unless one spouse stays at home. A typical couple where both parties make similar money will pay a tax penalty. It's not a huge penalty, but it's significant (about $8k/year for a double big-law couple).

That said, it's not a reason not to get married. You won't pay more over the life of the loan if you're married versus single--your individual payments under PAY-E will just be different. Try this calculator: https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/m ... tor.action.

Also, there's good reasons to get married. Power of attorney if one person gets sick, etc.
The bolded is true for PAYE, but not for the LRAPs at most schools. Fortunately for her, Michigan does not factor in spousal income with their LRAP (so even if she decides to do biglaw instead of doing PI and he does end up doing LRAP-eligible PI work, her income won't affect his eligibility for Michigan's LRAP). At Harvard, Stanford, and NYU (among others), spousal income is considered. If I recall correctly, Chicago and Michigan are the only T14s who exclude it.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:11 pm

Will_McAvoy wrote:Going to Boston right away then subsequently doing BU/BC would probably be a good idea for the relationship, too.

Maintaining a happy marriage with one person in law school is supposed to be challenging -- maintaining an engagement while both people are 1Ls in different cities sounds really difficult and really not fun. Would you guys get to see each other even ten times a year? That sounds really hard.
Agreed.

Every year the applicant pool gets worse and worse, so you have nothing to lose by waiting and applying to a Boston school next year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gungnir

New

Post by Gungnir » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:43 pm

Also, I already live in Boston. BU/BC is sounding compelling, but I do have concerns about how competitive I would be for the full ride with my numbers (174/3.2). The BU ED or the PI scholarships seem like my best bet.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:48 pm

rayiner wrote:Married people do not really enjoy any tax benefits unless one spouse stays at home. A typical couple where both parties make similar money will pay a tax penalty. It's not a huge penalty, but it's significant (about $8k/year for a double big-law couple).

Maybe my tax prof was wrong, and I'm no expert, but I thought a substantial majority of couples got tax benefits, and a small proportion--who make very similar money, e.g. double big laywers--paid a "penalty." For example, I'm pretty sure if you're a married couple with one doing PI and one doing biglaw, you'll reap significant tax benefits.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:07 pm

At the moment, if you're married but file singly, under IBR/PAYE your payment is based only on your income. Now, I don't know how that plays out for LRAPs, or if you yourself get significant enough tax benefits filing jointly that it's not worthwhile to file singly. The husband and I don't have kids or a mortgage and we're both out of school, so I'm not sure we were getting any worthwhile tax benefits filing jointly.

A couple things, though: if you're in a community property state filing singly as a married couple may be so complicated that it wipes out any benefit. (At least, that was our experience.) Also, there are proposals to eliminate the married-filing-singly loophole. (Again, for federal repayment plans. My school has no LRAP worth the name so YMMV.)

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:50 pm

I've applied to each of BC and BU and unless you get their full PI scholarships, which are rare, you're not going there on a full offer. My stats are a good amount above the 75ths and I didn't get one at either (not that I'm going for PI). However, I agree with the general idea being suggested that either school at a relatively affordable price is better than Georgetown at sticker, not only financially, but for your relationship also.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:31 pm

Otunga wrote:I've applied to each of BC and BU and unless you get their full PI scholarships, which are rare, you're not going there on a full offer. My stats are a good amount above the 75ths and I didn't get one at either (not that I'm going for PI). However, I agree with the general idea being suggested that either school at a relatively affordable price is better than Georgetown at sticker, not only financially, but for your relationship also.
99% sure I got a full ride to one or both -- and def wasn't a public interest fellowship.

eljefe1

Bronze

Post by eljefe1 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:36 pm

Don't go to law school. you have a sugar momma.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:53 pm

You should not go to law school. This is a horrible decision.

SFrost

Bronze

Post by SFrost » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:02 pm

Otunga wrote:I've applied to each of BC and BU and unless you get their full PI scholarships, which are rare, you're not going there on a full offer. My stats are a good amount above the 75ths and I didn't get one at either (not that I'm going for PI). However, I agree with the general idea being suggested that either school at a relatively affordable price is better than Georgetown at sticker, not only financially, but for your relationship also.
I would have to disagree. I got 80% tuition offer from BC and 100% from BU (I think it was 40/yr Dean scholarship and 6/yr need-based). Didn't apply for PI or anything. I was >75 GPA and >50 LSAT

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:03 pm

SFrost wrote:
I would have to disagree. I got 80% tuition offer from BC and 100% from BU (I think it was 40/yr Dean scholarship and 6/yr need-based). Didn't apply for PI or anything. I was >75 GPA and >50 LSAT
totally anecdotally, but from what happened with my IRL friends and those schools, the boston schools seem pretty homer-y when passing out the money

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:09 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:
SFrost wrote:
totally anecdotally, but from what happened with my IRL friends and those schools, the boston schools seem pretty homer-y when passing out the money
would make sense. I'm a NYer but had a pretty strong why BC/BU based on family...

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:20 am

Sounds like she already made a shitty choice given your joint goals (only 15% of h grads clerk anyway). Don't compound it with an even shittier one. You don't need to go to law school just because she is

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:50 am

eljefe1 wrote:Don't go to law school. you have a sugar momma.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”