Deposit confusion Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
bills165

New

Deposit confusion

Post by bills165 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:39 pm

Ok here's the problem. I have been accepted at one of my safety schools, but am currently being held at my top choice. The deposit deadline for my safety is April 25, and I got word from my top choice that held candidates wouldn't be looked at again until after April 15. If I were to send in the deposit for my safety, would that "bind" me to the school eliminating the possibility of me being able to accept an offer from my top choice?

theotherone823

Bronze

Re: Deposit confusion

Post by theotherone823 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:01 pm

bills165 wrote:Ok here's the problem. I have been accepted at one of my safety schools, but am currently being held at my top choice. The deposit deadline for my safety is April 25, and I got word from my top choice that held candidates wouldn't be looked at again until after April 15. If I were to send in the deposit for my safety, would that "bind" me to the school eliminating the possibility of me being able to accept an offer from my top choice?
No, probably not. The deposit is typically just a way to hold your seat at a school after being offered admission but before fully enrolling. It is not uncommon for people to put down deposits at more than one school and then make a decision about which to attend later on. I suppose a school could make you sign a form promising to decline all other offers and withdraw any pending applications upon paying the deposit, but as far as I know that is very uncommon.

Return to “Ask a Law Student”