why do schools care if im LGBT Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
thevuch

Silver

why do schools care if im LGBT

Post by thevuch » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:43 pm

seriously stop asking me gah

Mauve.Dino

Bronze

Re: why do schools care if im LGBT

Post by Mauve.Dino » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:37 pm

I know, I hate being asked the "are you a mauve dinosaur, and if so, how many red velociraptors and yellow ultrasaurs did you room with in college," question.

I even had to draw a diagram.

mx23250

Silver

Post by mx23250 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:40 pm

I was asked if I love lamp and, if so, how many lamps have I loved in the past 12 months.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:18 pm

They keep asking me if I have whiskers. I keep telling them of course I do, I keep getting lasagna in them. Then they asked how often I get lasagna in my whiskers and I told them at least 4 times per day.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:28 pm

Serious answer here: some schools are probably seeking to strengthen their GLBT organizations and want to compile lists so that their representatives can reach out. It's also for statistical purposes that can only help the causes of GLBT students and their community at-large. The fact that the demographic is isolated and counted suggests that schools are seeking diversity.

Of course, anyone can misrepresent himself either way (i.e. Y/N); so how do the schools know whether they are even getting accurate info?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:19 pm

Maybe they are trying to launch a law student orgy program as a desperate promotion in these desperate times of falling applicants, and they need some versatility to mix in in order to make everything work.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:04 am

Two big reasons:

1) Every 1L class involves LGBT issues in some way. LGBT students might have an interesting perspective on those issues.

2) LGBT students are considered "diverse" for firm hiring purposes and thus have a slightly better shot at a firm job. I'm not LGBT, so I can't confirm from personal experience.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:36 pm

androstan wrote:Maybe they are trying to launch a law student orgy program as a desperate promotion in these desperate times of falling applicants, and they need some versatility to mix in in order to make everything work.
But what if you aren't versatile?

thevuch

Silver

Post by thevuch » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:16 pm

what would be considered 'versatile'

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:20 pm

thevuch wrote:what would be considered 'versatile'
An individual comfortable with being either top or bottom. HTH

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:22 pm

banjo wrote: 2) LGBT students are considered "diverse" for firm hiring purposes and thus have a slightly better shot at a firm job. I'm not LGBT, so I can't confirm from personal experience.
Wut? Really?

Oh yeah, I'd also like to take this opportunity to announce that I'm officially bi now.

thevuch

Silver

Post by thevuch » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:24 pm

bi sexual or
bi curious or
bi pedal or
bi nary or
Last edited by thevuch on Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:24 pm

Will_McAvoy wrote:
banjo wrote: 2) LGBT students are considered "diverse" for firm hiring purposes and thus have a slightly better shot at a firm job. I'm not LGBT, so I can't confirm from personal experience.
Wut? Really?

Oh yeah, I'd also like to take this opportunity to announce that I'm officially bi now.
Check out Lavender Law. A legal hiring conference just for LGBT students

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:25 pm

Attax wrote:
:lol:

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:25 pm

thevuch wrote:bi sexual or
bi curious or
bi pedal or
bi nary or
bi lesbian
Doesn't matter. Dig a little further and I'll sue you, bro.

But seriously: I didn't know that gave a tangible boost in employment. Where does one's sexual orientation come up in an interview, and how does the employer verify said orientation if it is a contributing factor to them being hired?
Last edited by McAvoy on Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thevuch

Silver

Post by thevuch » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:26 pm

Will_McAvoy wrote:
bi curious or
bi pedal or
bi nary or
bi lesbian
im reading the associate right now

i know all about you

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:30 pm

Will_McAvoy wrote:
bi curious or
bi pedal or
bi nary or
bi lesbian

But seriously: I didn't know that gave a tangible boost in employment. Where does one's sexual orientation come up in an interview, and how does the employer verify said orientation if it is a contributing factor to them being hired?
As an LGBT person who hasn't started LS yet, I'm not sure. Most of my coworkers don't even know because I don't go around introducing myself as "Hi, I'm attax, I'm LGBT." However, the diversity boost has to exist somewhat, but not sure how substantial it is. I don't think they could prove it, just like I could marry a woman and laugh at the diversity statement I wrote claiming I was "confused" or "I misunderstood myself." But I don't know why anyone would claim they're LGBT for LS purposes if they aren't. It has its ups and downs regardless of where you lie on the spectrum, but I'd trade job prospects for simply being accepted and the world not giving a fuck about it and just letting me live my life.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:30 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:
Attax wrote:
:lol:

thevuch

Silver

Post by thevuch » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:34 pm

i have a good friend who is LGBT here at my undergrad law school

why isnt it LGBTA?

A as in asexual.

She's told me about how they are trying to subsume themselves into the movement

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:36 pm

Attax wrote:
As an LGBT person who hasn't started LS yet, I'm not sure. Most of my coworkers don't even know because I don't go around introducing myself as "Hi, I'm attax, I'm LGBT." However, the diversity boost has to exist somewhat, but not sure how substantial it is. I don't think they could prove it, just like I could marry a woman and laugh at the diversity statement I wrote claiming I was "confused" or "I misunderstood myself." But I don't know why anyone would claim they're LGBT for LS purposes if they aren't. It has its ups and downs regardless of where you lie on the spectrum, but I'd trade job prospects for simply being accepted and the world not giving a fuck about it and just letting me live my life.
Right -- it's a personal part of your life that has no bearing on your ability to perform your job. If giving a boost is rectifying LGBT discrimination in hiring, then awesome, but does that really happen in law school/the legal profession today? Maybe I'm naive, but I'd really think/hope not.

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:37 pm

thevuch wrote:i have a good friend who is LGBT here at my undergrad law school

why isnt it LGBTA?

A as in asexual.

I believe the truly politically correct term is LGBTQIA, which is also inclusive of intersex and queer persons.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:38 pm

thevuch wrote:i have a good friend who is LGBT here at my undergrad law school

why isnt it LGBTA?

A as in asexual.

Because there's asexuality, pansexuality, homosexual heteroromantic, . . .

LGBT may stand for Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transexual, and although the spectrum is more complicated than that it is a broad umbrella term meant to include all people who aren't heterosexual heteroromantics. That is what people assume when they hear LGBT and I think encompassing it all would get us a nice super long LGBTQAT*tAgGq... No one wants to say that.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:40 pm

Will_McAvoy wrote:
Attax wrote:
Right -- it's a personal part of your life that has no bearing on your ability to perform your job. If giving a boost is rectifying LGBT discrimination in hiring, then awesome, but does that really happen in law school/the legal profession today? Maybe I'm naive, but I'd really think/hope not.
I think it really depends on where you are from. It may not necessarily be a sense of rectifying a wrong so much as it is with promoting a sense of acceptance: if we bring more of them in then we send a message to people that it is acceptable. I think it is more prominent in some places than others. I felt like UT was great about introducing me to OUTLaw people and other things because of it. Additionally, I think it also is strategic from a business perspective for top candidates at firms or schools. You don't want to lose a great associate because they didn't feel comfortable there. Total PR move, but also a viable hypothesis.
Last edited by Attax on Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:42 pm

Attax wrote: I think it really depends on where you are from. It may not necessarily be a sense of rectifying a wrong so much as it is with promoting a sense of acceptance: if we bring more of them in then we send a message to people that it is acceptable. I think it is more prominent in some places than others. I felt like UT was great about introducing me to OUTLaw people and other things because of it.
I suppose. I've only really lived in pretty liberal and accepting areas, so I might be a little insulated.

Will you be trying to find a job in Waco after graduation? :D

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:43 pm

Will_McAvoy wrote:
Attax wrote: I think it really depends on where you are from. It may not necessarily be a sense of rectifying a wrong so much as it is with promoting a sense of acceptance: if we bring more of them in then we send a message to people that it is acceptable. I think it is more prominent in some places than others. I felt like UT was great about introducing me to OUTLaw people and other things because of it.
I suppose. I've only really lived in pretty liberal and accepting areas, so I might be a little insulated.

Will you be trying to find a job in Waco after graduation? :D
I obv didn't send my diversity statement to Baylor :P

DFW=Austin>SanFran>Houston>NYC is my plan

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”