softs and internship question Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
secondshot

New

softs and internship question

Post by secondshot » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:48 am

Hey guys, I'm in my sophomore year. I've joined an honors club, law club and social justice club. I figure these types of things will eventually help as far as softs go? Let me know if it's just a waste of time doing these types of things.

Also, I was offered an internship at a small law firm (3 attorneys). It's only a few hours a week (unpaid), but I don't want to waste my time if you don't think it will mean much when I'm applying to law schools?

Basically I'm clueless about softs and what matters, and what does not. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Re: softs and internship question

Post by iamgeorgebush » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:23 am

people on tls will tell you that softs play a minimal role in your application

especially those softs

try doing something interesting and unique

instead of joining a social justice club...why don't you try to actually obtain social justice for people?

but tbh the most important thing you can do is keep up a good GPA, and when the time comes, study hard (and right) for the LSAT

hth

secondshot

New

Post by secondshot » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:31 am

Lol, I spent over 15 years in various volunteer orgs helping people so take it easy. ;) I was just asking what impact these types of clubs, and the internship would mean when it comes to applications. Thanks.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:09 am

These types of things won't really help you that much. They're pretty typical as far as applicants to strong schools go. The absence of any extracurricular involvement, though, could hurt you.

The softs that really seem to help people are rarely accumulated in college, in my opinion. They're usually things like prestigious postgraduate fellowships (Rhodes, Fullbright, etc) substantial professional work experience (as in, a "real job" after college, not delivering calzones on campus) military service (particularly with deployments) and really interesting, unique life stories.

secondshot

New

Post by secondshot » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:51 am

Perfect! Thanks for the reply, makes sense. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:37 pm

These things are typical amongst LS applicants, especially those who are K-JD. They will, at most, be the equivalent of 1-2 points on the LSAT. Keep the grades up and study for the LSAT. That will matter much more.

secondshot

New

Post by secondshot » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:53 pm

Attax wrote:These things are typical amongst LS applicants, especially those who are K-JD. They will, at most, be the equivalent of 1-2 points on the LSAT. Keep the grades up and study for the LSAT. That will matter much more.
Wait, just to clarify, the softs I'm considering would be similar to a 1-2 point LSAT boost? That's sort of a big deal, right? Also, if it's common to have these softs, then I should in fact take the internship and join the clubs?

I completely understand the LSAT and GPA are the most important, that's implied at this point. Just trying to add softs where needed if it will help.

Also, what does the term "K-JD" mean?

Thanks guys. :)

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:01 pm

secondshot wrote:
Attax wrote:These things are typical amongst LS applicants, especially those who are K-JD. They will, at most, be the equivalent of 1-2 points on the LSAT. Keep the grades up and study for the LSAT. That will matter much more.
Wait, just to clarify, the softs I'm considering would be similar to a 1-2 point LSAT boost? That's sort of a big deal, right? Also, if it's common to have these softs, then I should in fact take the internship and join the clubs?

I completely understand the LSAT and GPA are the most important, that's implied at this point. Just trying to add softs where needed if it will help.

Also, what does the term "K-JD" mean?

"K-JD" refers to an individual who hasn't had a break in school (other than school vacations) since they started attending school. People who spent a few years working or doing other things, other than going to school, are not K-JDs.
Last edited by encore1101 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xRON MEXiCOx

Diamond

Post by xRON MEXiCOx » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:02 pm

um... WAT

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:17 pm

Ron Mexico wrote:
um... WAT
I'm not basing this off of any data, but more of as an analogy that they really don't matter much and that time should be spent studying for the LSAT rather than worrying about softs. Can they make a difference? Sure if they are really really unique and awesome, but even then I'd say they aren't worth more than, if you could put an equivalence level on them, 1-2 points. Or in other words, they won't really make much of a difference unless you are a borderline candidate.

xRON MEXiCOx

Diamond

Post by xRON MEXiCOx » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:20 pm

1-2 points on the LSAT is a lot. I doubt being in some stupid club and doing an illegal internship is worth more than .25 lsat points.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:22 pm

Ron Mexico wrote:1-2 points on the LSAT is a lot. I doubt being in some stupid club and doing an illegal internship is worth more than .25 lsat points.
Agreed with you, because those aren't outstanding softs, and that it could apply in that case. That being said, it was a poor analogy that I made initially. Average to crap softs = not worth anything.

secondshot

New

Post by secondshot » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:22 pm

So then, what types of softs are best to have? I'd like to see some examples so I can look into them over the next two years before LS. I already have an extensive law related work history, so I assume that will help. I also have several years of various volunteer positions. But again, I'm just trying to maximize my softs, that's all. I KNOW the lsat and gpa are my priorities, but it's clear you guys think an internship and college clubs are "shit", so what else would you suggest (without sounding like a dick, please).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:30 pm

secondshot wrote:So then, what types of softs are best to have? I'd like to see some examples so I can look into them over the next two years before LS. I already have an extensive law related work history, so I assume that will help. I also have several years of various volunteer positions. But again, I'm just trying to maximize my softs, that's all. I KNOW the lsat and gpa are my priorities, but it's clear you guys think an internship and college clubs are "shit", so what else would you suggest (without sounding like a dick, please).

maybe start a nonprofit and raise hundreds of thousands of dollars (or better yet, millions). something that shows outstanding leadership.

but then i'm not an adcom so what do i know?

xRON MEXiCOx

Diamond

Post by xRON MEXiCOx » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:32 pm

extensive work experience? Youre what like 19?

secondshot

New

Post by secondshot » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:54 pm

Ron Mexico wrote:extensive work experience? Youre what like 19?
I'm 40. Anything else?

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:59 pm

secondshot wrote:
I'm 40. Anything else?
oh well this changes things. you might have mentioned that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

secondshot

New

Post by secondshot » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:00 pm

iamgeorgebush wrote:
secondshot wrote:
I'm 40. Anything else?
So you're going to let me guess how?

;)

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:04 pm

secondshot wrote:
iamgeorgebush wrote:
secondshot wrote:
I'm 40. Anything else?
So you're going to let me guess how?

;)
i really don't know where to begin...it's hard to say anything since i don't know what you did before law school or why you're going to law school. but if i were you, i'd focus on doing whatever fits into the story you're going to tell about why you're going to law school.

secondshot

New

Post by secondshot » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:09 pm

Will do, and appreciate the help. :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”