Should I drop these classes? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
SoapyIllusion

New

Should I drop these classes?

Post by SoapyIllusion » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:34 pm

Class #1:

Speech & Debate Team (1 unit)…Meets 3 times a week for an hour and forty-five minutes.
This "class" is very time consuming and I am signed up to take the LSAT this June. I am about half-way through the logic games bible and I am doing quite well. I believe that if I drop this class I will have more time to study but I do not know if it is worth getting rid of this "soft." Basically, should I keep this class and get an "A" as well as 1 unit, or should I drop it and just use the extra time to study for the LSAT.

Class #2:

French 201 (3 units)…My university requires foreign language proficiency of three semesters. This would be my final semester, however, I did not take french last semester so there is a significant gap and after just one class I am practically lost…I do know that LSAC does not take into account classes taken abroad into their GPA calculation so I am thinking about taking the course abroad in Paris over the summer. In this case, I would elect to take the class pass/no pass (if it is an option) or I would comfortably score a B (nothing lower than a C). Would this look bad or will it be the better route? I do not want my LSAC gpa to suffer because of a language course that many universities don't even require past high school!

If I do drop the french course, I will still have 16 units so I will still graduate on time, as it will be replaced with another course in which an "easy A" is highly probable.

TLDR:
1. Should I quit the speech team (1 unit, hour forty-five class, 3 times a week) to study for the LSAT that I am taking in June, or would having this "soft" be more beneficent?
2. Should I drop my last required french class to save my GPA and take it abroad over the summer so it will not factor into my LSAC calculation?

Advice is greatly appreciated!

SoapyIllusion

New

Re: Should I drop these classes?

Post by SoapyIllusion » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:10 am

bump

Fiero85

Gold

Post by Fiero85 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:49 am

My 0L advice:

Drop both. Softs* don't matter, numbers do. Pretty much anything hindering your LSAT and GPA that can be chucked, should be.

*Other than military service, competing in Sochi, winning a Nobel prize etc. Campus involvement type softs don't matter.

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:12 pm

Yes to both.

scoobysnax

Bronze

Post by scoobysnax » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:59 pm

Definitely drop debate.

I'm confused about the French class- if it's required for you to graduate, how can you graduate on time if you take it over the summer? Are you graduating this semester or next year?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Quest4Knowledge

Bronze

Post by Quest4Knowledge » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:02 pm

scoobysnax wrote:Definitely drop debate.

I'm confused about the French class- if it's required for you to graduate, how can you graduate on time if you take it over the summer? Are you graduating this semester or next year?
I think OP is graduating next year.

IMO, I think dropping the Speech class depends on your GPA. If the A has the potential to help your cumulative GPA by a lot (offset poor grades earlier on), then I would keep the class. If you already have a great GPA and the marginal effect of the Speech class will be slight, I would drop it.

That being said, I would only recommend keeping the class if you are able to still devote a substantial amount of time to the LSAT. One extra grade is not worth a couple points on the LSAT.

TheodoreKGB

Bronze

Post by TheodoreKGB » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:19 pm

Last edited by TheodoreKGB on Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:39 pm

Class for over 5hrs/wk for 1 credit?

Drop it

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”