Question about GPA Undergrad & Graduate School Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
As12321

New

Question about GPA Undergrad & Graduate School

Post by As12321 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:57 pm

Okay, so- My undergraduate degree was completed at SUNY Albany. My overall GPA there for my four years was about a 2.8 or so. Yes, low, I know. My first two years in college were not my best years, and the low GPA of those two years and 4 semesters held me down the rest of my time spent there. The last Two years were GPA's of over 3.0, but nothing near what I knew I could have accomplished with my head in the right place.

With that said, I entered into Graduate Studies at Quinnipiac University in Connecticut to receive my Masters in the Art of Teaching. I am currently sitting at a cumulative GPA of 3.82, earned over the course of 45 credits. Out of 18 classes, 16 of them were A's, and two were B+'s (I know, I am kicking myself in the head).

I have my eyes on Columbia and NYU. Will my undergraduate GPA hold me down? Or is a 3.8 for my Masters degree enough to hold my own in the top tier?

Thank you in advance for your responses. First time poster.

Nova

Platinum

Re: Question about GPA Undergrad & Graduate School

Post by Nova » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:15 am

Undergrad GPA is what's important
Last edited by Nova on Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:37 am

Undergrad GPA is the GPA that gets used to calculate the US News World & Report rankings. Graduate GPAs don't help law schools improve their rankings, so they carry very very little weight compared to undergraduate GPA. You may want to look around here for posts about "splitters" - if you get get a high LSAT score, you will still have a shot at some top schools, but it will be despite your undergrad GPA.

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:47 am

It is going to be tough to get back to NYC with that GPA, as the schools that place the best in NYC don't tend to accept sub 3.0 splitters that often.

Cornell is new to ED, maybe they will start be more splitter friendly through that but I doubt it.

Your best bets for T14 are gonna be UVA and NU.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:44 pm

2.8 is going to require NU -- I don't even think UVA goes that low for non-URMs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Legacy Rabbit

Bronze

Post by Legacy Rabbit » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:15 pm

As12321 wrote:Okay, so- My undergraduate degree was completed at SUNY Albany. My overall GPA there for my four years was about a 2.8 or so. Yes, low, I know. My first two years in college were not my best years, and the low GPA of those two years and 4 semesters held me down the rest of my time spent there. The last Two years were GPA's of over 3.0, but nothing near what I knew I could have accomplished with my head in the right place.

With that said, I entered into Graduate Studies at Quinnipiac University in Connecticut to receive my Masters in the Art of Teaching. I am currently sitting at a cumulative GPA of 3.82, earned over the course of 45 credits. Out of 18 classes, 16 of them were A's, and two were B+'s (I know, I am kicking myself in the head).

I have my eyes on Columbia and NYU. Will my undergraduate GPA hold me down? Or is a 3.8 for my Masters degree enough to hold my own in the top tier?

I would be very careful when receiving advice on this site.

Breaking down your situation, you are making a strong move obtaining a Master's degree. However, have you considered moving in the direction of maybe MIS or maybe an MBA from your school? These degrees would really make you stand out during OCI. For the past ten or so years I have heard the same mantra from attorneys, the need for JDs to have more business acumen. Regardless, a Columbia app with a master's degree and a 169+ LSAT is quite competitive.

Contact Columbia, when you are ready to apply and inform that you are also sending an official copy of your grad transcript. Also, explain the growth from your undergrad experience to grad school, and detail the personal importance of obtaining both a grad degree and J.D.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:30 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:
As12321 wrote:Okay, so- My undergraduate degree was completed at SUNY Albany. My overall GPA there for my four years was about a 2.8 or so. Yes, low, I know. My first two years in college were not my best years, and the low GPA of those two years and 4 semesters held me down the rest of my time spent there. The last Two years were GPA's of over 3.0, but nothing near what I knew I could have accomplished with my head in the right place.

Breaking down your situation, you are making a strong move obtaining a Master's degree. However, have you considered moving in the direction of maybe MIS or maybe an MBA from your school? These degrees would really make you stand out during OCI. For the past ten or so years I have heard the same mantra from attorneys, the need for JDs to have more business acumen. Regardless, a Columbia app with a master's degree and a 169+ LSAT is quite competitive.

Contact Columbia, when you are ready to apply and inform that you are also sending an official copy of your grad transcript. Also, explain the growth from your undergrad experience to grad school, and detail the personal importance of obtaining both a grad degree and J.D.
Man, that's awesome that Columbia is accepting people with 2.8s and 169+s. Can you show me some statistics that back up this (fantastic!) claim?

lakers180

Bronze

Post by lakers180 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:39 pm

Last edited by lakers180 on Tue May 02, 2017 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Legacy Rabbit

Bronze

Post by Legacy Rabbit » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:37 pm

twenty wrote:
Legacy Rabbit wrote:

Man, that's awesome that Columbia is accepting people with 2.8s and 169+s. Can you show me some statistics that back up this (fantastic!) claim?
1. I said competitive, nothing about my posts advises guarantee admission to Columbia.
2. Joined TLS, in 2012. but you are at 1800+ post. This is a warning. What exactly can someone offer who spends this level of time on a blog? Should you not be working, studying, etc., so as to provide more substantive advice?

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:40 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote: 1. I said competitive, nothing about my posts advises guarantee admission to Columbia.
2. Joined TLS, in 2012. but you are at 1800+ post. This is a warning. What exactly can someone offer who spends this level of time on a blog? Should you not be working, studying, etc., so as to provide more substantive advice?
1.) Not even competitive. Arguably not competitive with a 180.
2.) LOL

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:47 pm

1. I said competitive, nothing about my posts advises guarantee admission to Columbia.
This is a terrible argument.
Last edited by Gooner91 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:53 pm

:)
Last edited by phillywc on Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:54 pm

Sorry I will edit it.

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:58 pm

Gooner91 wrote: Sorry I will edit it.
Edited mine too, I'd also edit the post you just made, it still has the quote in it..

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:58 pm

I like you, philly.

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:00 pm

midwest17 wrote:I like you, philly.
You are a stand up person yaself. Much love.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:18 am

I feel like I missed something fun. :'(

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:25 am

LOL. Do you realize the type of life altering disappointment you can bring to someone with your BS? 2.8s don't get into Columbia Law, not with a 180, not with a great soft, and not with a masters in anything. Why set someone up for that disappointment. Northwestern is a great school, and they'll go sub-3 for an above median LSAT. Do that.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:35 am

Legacy Rabbit wrote:
twenty wrote:
Legacy Rabbit wrote:

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:53 am

Legacy Rabbit wrote:What exactly can someone offer who spends this level of time on a blog?
I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Legacy Rabbit

Bronze

Post by Legacy Rabbit » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:08 pm

Contact Columbia, when you are ready to apply and inform that you are also sending an official copy of your grad transcript. Also, explain the growth from your undergrad experience to grad school, and detail the personal importance of obtaining both a grad degree and J.D.[/quote]

Man, that's awesome that Columbia is accepting people with 2.8s and 169+s. Can you show me some statistics that back up this (fantastic!) claim?[/quote]

2. Joined TLS, in 2012. but you are at 1800+ post. This is a warning. What exactly can someone offer who spends this level of time on a blog? Should you not be working, studying, etc., so as to provide more substantive advice?[/quote]
[/quote]

Spend your time searching for silly graphics. Your are too immature, and never have worked.

The OP has a 2.8 GPA, however counting in
1. Work Experience
2. 169+ LSAT
3. Master's degree

You are going to say that Columbia is a lost cause.
You and so many on this post have careers that are a lost cause. Keep being negative and bring nothing to this discussion.
It is clear you have not worked and will probably pee your pants during OCI, because you will have nothing to say about anything, but you can google pics and bullsh*t on youtube like a pro.

Whenever I visit school and I bring up TLS, the response is always the same. BE CAREFUL. Too many people spend too much time and state nothing of substance.

Legacy Rabbit

Bronze

Post by Legacy Rabbit » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:14 pm

Clearly wrote:LOL. Do you realize the type of life altering disappointment you can bring to someone with your BS? 2.8s don't get into Columbia Law, not with a 180, not with a great soft, and not with a masters in anything. Why set someone up for that disappointment. Northwestern is a great school, and they'll go sub-3 for an above median LSAT. Do that.
Please provide some proof/validity to your post.
Since you are an adcomm.

Another super smug twenty-something year old
1. who has never worked a professional position for over 2+ years
2. Never lived alone

You are a child just spreading assumptions of what you think schools are looking for.

Adcomms are looking for people who are employable after graduation, and so many of you on this board ARE NOT!

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:25 pm

At the point where I find 13 applicants with 2.8s and 169+ scores, and not one of them got into Columbia (or anywhere close to Columbia), you come at me with... what, my lack of work experience? Come on, kid, this is why you don't shoot in the dark.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:21 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:
Clearly wrote:LOL. Do you realize the type of life altering disappointment you can bring to someone with your BS? 2.8s don't get into Columbia Law, not with a 180, not with a great soft, and not with a masters in anything. Why set someone up for that disappointment. Northwestern is a great school, and they'll go sub-3 for an above median LSAT. Do that.
Please provide some proof/validity to your post.
Since you are an adcomm.

Another super smug twenty-something year old
1. who has never worked a professional position for over 2+ years
2. Never lived alone

You are a child just spreading assumptions of what you think schools are looking for.

Adcomms are looking for people who are employable after graduation, and so many of you on this board ARE NOT!
Adcomms are looking first and foremost for GPAs and LSATs to keep up their medians in the ranking calculations. Then they can worry about everything else.

Maybe this person will be the exception who gets into Columbia with a 2.8 GPA, but people here give advice based on likely outcomes.

Advising someone to spend a lot of money on masters' degrees in which they've expressed no interest purely so they can be more competitive after they go to law school is not very helpful. So yes, people should be careful reading the advice here.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”