Crushed Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
eddiemen2a

New

Crushed

Post by eddiemen2a » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:39 am

Hey TLS,

Long time lurker, first time posting. My early years in college I was not thinking straight and stopped going to class and simply took multiple Fs.( And i place empahsis on multiple) I have been working very hard to retake those classes and bring up my GPA for the past year and a half retaking 18 hours each semester and 12 hours in the summer and I've gotten all A's since (with the exception of 1 B) . I have also been prepping intensely for the Lsat, I'm signed up for February 8th. My PT is averaging at around 168. I am taking another set of 6 classes this coming spring and I plan to graduate in December and apply for law school the fall for the fall of 2015. Only thing is i just now found out LSAC factors in the F's regardless of the retakes. I feel crushed. What should i do? Please no negative comments, I know i shouldn't have messed around when I started college--- it really came back to bite me.

Nova

Platinum

Re: Crushed

Post by Nova » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:44 am

What should i do?
Kill the LSAT and apply splitter friendly schools

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:45 am

& get your GPA calculated by LSAC ASAP so you can see how bad the damage is

eddiemen2a

New

Post by eddiemen2a » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:49 am

@nova

I was in such an LSAT mindset and this new information (to me) just totally killed my vibe. What's schools would be splitter friendly? Thanks for the reply.

Worst case scenario would be....?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:01 am

Splitter friendly T14s are NU, UVA, GULC.
Splitter friendly regionals that give significant scholarships to splitters are UMN/WUSTL
Several regionals will accept splitters with upper 16X scores.
play with http://www.mylsn.info

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eddiemen2a

New

Post by eddiemen2a » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:39 am

Thanks. I'm really motivated to kill the LSAT-- it's my only option. Quick question: Does my transcript GPA even matter, or is the LSAC GPA all that counts? I wonder how admissions would look at my file with a high LSAT score, upward trend in grades and a HUGE difference in my LSAC GPA--- heck I wonder if they would even look any further than the LSAC GPA. I Appreciate any responses

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:44 am

eddiemen2a wrote:Thanks. I'm really motivated to kill the LSAT-- it's my only option. Quick question: Does my transcript GPA even matter, or is the LSAC GPA all that counts? I wonder how admissions would look at my file with a high LSAT score, upward trend in grades and a HUGE difference in my LSAC GPA--- heck I wonder if they would even look any further than the LSAC GPA. I Appreciate any responses
LSDAS gpa is the only thing that matters.

TigerDude

Bronze

Post by TigerDude » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:45 pm

you should look at mylsn for the gpa you will have at the end of the year, counting the F's. The transcript GPA doesn't apply, because not all schools calculate their GPA the same (my school counted F's whether or not you retook).

Then decide what to do.

samcro_op

Silver

Post by samcro_op » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:47 pm

Your only other option would be to look and see if your school has a retroactive withdrawal policy. Usually schools only do this for extraordinary purposes but you never know what your school's policy is until you find out. Usually with these they will change the Fs to non punitive Ws on your official transcript. Good Luck on the LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:07 pm

bjsesq wrote:
eddiemen2a wrote:Thanks. I'm really motivated to kill the LSAT-- it's my only option. Quick question: Does my transcript GPA even matter, or is the LSAC GPA all that counts? I wonder how admissions would look at my file with a high LSAT score, upward trend in grades and a HUGE difference in my LSAC GPA--- heck I wonder if they would even look any further than the LSAC GPA. I Appreciate any responses
LSDAS gpa is the only thing that matters.
LSDAS GPA is not "the only thing that matters." Why do people say this shit? Insofar that schools judge applicants' GPAs as above or below their medians in order to affect their USNWR rankings, yes LSDAS GPA is the only thing that matters. But there's absolutely no evidence to support the assertion that schools disregard an upward trend in grades when looking at splitters (who boost their USNWR rankings by one measure).

OP: Get a 170+ LSAT score, and you will have a chance at some good splitter-friendly schools like Northwestern.

DKM

New

Post by DKM » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:20 pm

I have my own (semi-related) question that isn't really worth the creation of a new thread so I'm going to ask it here.

Sophomore year in undergrad I got a D in a math class and retook it that summer and got an A. How would this affect my LSAC gpa?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:23 pm

Both grades will be counted separately

samcro_op

Silver

Post by samcro_op » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:26 pm

Nova wrote:Both grades will be counted separately

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”