3.72 LSDAS 3.83 Undergrad GPA, addendum? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
ftbchamp232

New

3.72 LSDAS 3.83 Undergrad GPA, addendum?

Post by ftbchamp232 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:48 pm

I am not really sure where this belongs. I'll move it if I need to, but this seems like a good place to start.

I have a 3.72 for LSDAS because of classes I took in high school that my college so kindly put on my transcript and refuses to take off. I have a 3.83 as of right now, 4.0 degree GPA. I am not sure if this is worth an addendum to point out that I was 16 when I took those classes and didn't want the credits for a reason :evil:

So what I am asking is if I am a 3.72 to law schools, or do they actually take into consideration my gpa?

ltrego

Bronze

Re: 3.72 LSDAS 3.83 Undergrad GPA, addendum?

Post by ltrego » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:55 pm

I am in a similar situation, although my GPA is lower. My GPA is a 3.65, but the LDAS GPA, due to some Bs in 300-level courses I took as a senior in HS, is a 3.57. I didn't do an addendum for two reasons:
1. Though not ideal, a 3.57 isn't awful. Nor is a 3.72.
2. Adcoms look at transcripts. They will see on my transcript (and on yours) the year(s) in which those courses were taken. I'm putting my faith in their intelligence to realize the nature of the situation.

In your specific case, you may even be able to slip something into your PS: "I've worked hard to maintain a 4.0 degree GPA while also doing XY and Z." (Though I'm not sure this would be an amazing option.)

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:58 pm

You're a 3.72 to law schools. I mean, they'll look at everything, but as people have already told you elsewhere, the 3.72 is the number schools report to the ABA/USNWR for the purposes of rankings, so it's what counts.

If your addendum is "I was 16 and wasn't focused/didn't care" I don't think it's worth writing, because that happens to tons of people and it just says you were a typical 16-year-old, oh well. The only time an addendum is really worth it is if there's some factor truly outside your control that affected your grades, e.g. "My parents lost our house and I spent that semester living in a van," or "I was undergoing chemo during that semester."

ftbchamp232

New

Post by ftbchamp232 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:02 pm

ltrego wrote:I am in a similar situation, although my GPA is lower. My GPA is a 3.65, but the LDAS GPA, due to some Bs in 300-level courses I took as a senior in HS, is a 3.57. I didn't do an addendum for two reasons:
2. Adcoms look at transcripts. They will see on my transcript (and on yours) the year(s) in which those courses were taken. I'm putting my faith in their intelligence to realize the nature of the situation.

In your specific case, you may even be able to slip something into your PS: "I've worked hard to maintain a 4.0 degree GPA while also doing XY and Z." (Though I'm not sure this would be an amazing option.)
I am hoping so too. Maybe I will try to slip in something about finding a passion in what I was learning and one of those stories. I don't want to waste their time with it or insult their intelligence by pointing out something kind of obvious (it is under non-degree transfer credit).

Thank you A.Nony, I won't write it. That does suck though... I hate LSAC

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:46 pm

ftbchamp232 wrote:
ltrego wrote:I am in a similar situation, although my GPA is lower. My GPA is a 3.65, but the LDAS GPA, due to some Bs in 300-level courses I took as a senior in HS, is a 3.57. I didn't do an addendum for two reasons:

I am hoping so too. Maybe I will try to slip in something about finding a passion in what I was learning and one of those stories. I don't want to waste their time with it or insult their intelligence by pointing out something kind of obvious (it is under non-degree transfer credit).

Thank you A.Nony, I won't write it. That does suck though... I hate LSAC
Not saying it's not a tough outcome, but you're going to be a lot happier if you own your choices.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”