Will this affect my GPA? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
KA631LGH

New

Will this affect my GPA?

Post by KA631LGH » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:52 am

I've been surfing through this forum and it was brought to my attention that "remedial" courses don't count towards your GPA when applying for law school. I am a junior in undergrad with a competitive GPA but in my first semester in undergrad I took a course called “Preparatory Math II.” Is this considered a remedial course? If so, will it affect my GPA when applying to law school? For what it's worth, the course number was “093” and I got an A in the class.

hephaestus

Gold

Re: Will this affect my GPA?

Post by hephaestus » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:25 am

KA631LGH wrote:I've been surfing through this forum and it was brought to my attention that "remedial" courses don't count towards your GPA when applying for law school. I am a junior in undergrad with a competitive GPA but in my first semester in undergrad I took a course called “Preparatory Math II.” Is this considered a remedial course? If so, will it affect my GPA when applying to law school? For what it's worth, the course number was “093” and I got an A in the class.
If its on your transcript and has a credit value attached to it, it will likely be counted by LSAC.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:29 pm

It will almost certainly not be counted by LSAC. The burden of proof is "counts unless clearly shown it shouldn't," but the fact that it's an 093 class and included "preparatory" in its title, it will almost definitely be seen as remedial and won't count.

KA631LGH

New

Post by KA631LGH » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:33 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:It will almost certainly not be counted by LSAC. The burden of proof is "counts unless clearly shown it shouldn't," but the fact that it's an 093 class and included "preparatory" in its title, it will almost definitely be seen as remedial and won't count.

Thanks to the both of you for responding. If this ^ is the case then it really hurts my GPA. I ran the numbers and my GPA went down by .3 points. :(

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:35 pm

I'm confused to as how a single class could bring your GPA so far down?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KA631LGH

New

Post by KA631LGH » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:55 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:I'm confused to as how a single class could bring your GPA so far down?

Not exactly sure why it went down significantly. But I sat down with my advisor today and together we calculated what my GPA would be as of today. Supposedly each course has its own "quality" points and when the quality points (and the credits) were subtracted from the equation i was left with a significantly lower GPA (IMO).

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:01 pm

That sounds suspicious. Here's an online calculator; plug in your numbers here: http://www.back2college.com/gpa.htm

The only way that is possible is if your GPA is like, 1.35 or so (with 120 graded credits). If you don't have at least 60 graded credits, LSAC will not give you any GPA at all.

KA631LGH

New

Post by KA631LGH » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:39 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:That sounds suspicious. Here's an online calculator; plug in your numbers here: http://www.back2college.com/gpa.htm

The only way that is possible is if your GPA is like, 1.35 or so (with 120 graded credits). If you don't have at least 60 graded credits, LSAC will not give you any GPA at all.

Ok, NOW this gpa on my hands sounds about right. that website helped a lot. Thanks for the clarification. Sucks though, because that "remedial" course could have bumped up my gpa. (guess that's why they do not account for them)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”