C&F Question Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
lhaglund

New

C&F Question

Post by lhaglund » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:39 am

So, I am preparing to apply for Law Schools, and as I was filing out the applications I was asked whether I had ever been placed on Academic Warning, Probation, etc. At one point in my college career, I opted to switch majors to ME, and I failed miserably. I did one more semester (mostly to retake the courses, which I passed the second time around). I was placed on Academic Warning; however, my school does not report Warning on the transcripts the send. I have a strong feeling I should report this anyways on my C&F.

My question is, should I go with my gut and answer yes? If so, should I follow this up with an addendum? The F came because the course load was too much for me to handle while working full time, but that may be somewhat difficult to explain because then I have to go into how my school has courses where the credits don't match the hours (Most ME courses at my college lose 1 credit value from total hours). If this is confusing, I can explain here.

Ramius

Gold

Re: C&F Question

Post by Ramius » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:53 am

Disclose, attach a short, simple explanation that is only facts and not going into detail in a way that comes off like excuses (like your explanation here does), and it won't hurt you in the least.

A lot of people feel like writing addendums to explain things, but unless you have a substantial reason to do so like medical conditions, major familial turmoil or other justifiable reasons, you don't need it. Explain the Academic Warning based on the facts, let your GPA be what it is and leave it alone.

lhaglund

New

Post by lhaglund » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:33 am

I honestly want making any excuse. I simply speed going to the class in outer top pass others. I do appreciate the input. In truth I was hoping to avoid the addendum because I know I really don't have an excuse. So something along the lines of:

During X semester, I was placed on academic warning for low grades in X class and X class. I retook both classes the following semester to secure better grades.

And then just let it be?

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:45 am

Sorry to rant at you for a bit, I've just seen too many addendum's floating around here for reasons that don't deserve an addendum. And I totally get the urge because I had the same urge when I was applying to try to explain away a weakness in my application, but drawing attention to it when you don't have to is never a good idea unless you have strong reasons to back it up.

In this case, your simple disclosure should be just fine. It'll dispel any concerns they might have without getting whiny/self-serving.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:47 am

lhaglund wrote:
During X semester, I was placed on academic warning for low grades in X class and X class. I retook both classes the following semester to secure better grades.

Sounds perfect.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lhaglund

New

Post by lhaglund » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:51 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:Sorry to rant at you for a bit, I've just seen too many addendum's floating around here for reasons that don't deserve an addendum. And I totally get the urge because I had the same urge when I was applying to try to explain away a weakness in my application, but drawing attention to it when you don't have to is never a good idea unless you have strong reasons to back it up.

In this case, your simple disclosure should be just fine. It'll dispel any concerns they might have without getting whiny/self-serving.

No worries. I understand the irritation. I'm sure there are plenty of people who believe that they can talk away their mistakes. Personally, I know I made mistakes (and I curse myself for it, because otherwise I would have a MUCH better GPA [those two semesters had like a 2.0 gpa between em]) I just didn't know what to say. Sounds like I have it down though. Is that short of an addendum ok?

lhaglund

New

Post by lhaglund » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:04 am

Ok, last bit. Here is exactly how my addendum looks right now (hasn't been proofread by myself). I am mostly concerned with me being on the correct track here. Let me know. Also, is the layout correct? Thoughts:

Logan Haglund

Addendum

During the Winter Semester of 2011, I was placed on Academic Warning. I elected to switch enroll in Mechanical Engineering courses, and struggled with them. I failed a course in Calculus and Engineering Computation. The following semester, I opted to retake the courses. I improved enough to pass the courses, and maintained my overall GPA at a level which placed me back into Good Academic Standing. I have since worked hard to make sure such a mistake doesn’t happen again.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”