How Many 0L's Living with Parents After Graduation? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Living Situation

Yes, I live at home and hate it
17%
Yes, I live at home and it's OK
32%
Yes, I live at home and love it
18%
No, I don't live at home and love it
30%
No, I don't live at home and it's OK
3%
No, I don't live at home and hate it
No votes

Total votes: 90

jtabustos

Bronze

How Many 0L's Living with Parents After Graduation?

Post by jtabustos » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:23 am

Anyone here?

I've seen a few studies on this before. I think it's close to 50% of college grads.

twenty

Gold

Re: How Many 0L's Living with Parents After Graduation?

Post by twenty » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:22 pm

I was a commuter, so there wasn't really any "moving back in." Rent here is insanely high, so every month I live with my parents, I calm myself by realizing that that's almost $1,700 I didn't have to spend this month on rent.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:24 pm

My parents loved having me home for a year while I worked full time. I did stuff around the house, set up Netflix, took them to the movies, etc. My mom almost cried when I moved my stuff in to my new place.

I would have liked some privacy and being closer to friends, but I can't complain about the home-cooked meals and my laundry magically getting done every once in a while.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:28 pm

4 months home (worked part time, studied for the LSAT the last 2 months along with working)
6 months away
1 month at home before school starts

not sure how to vote

Living at home is ...kinda OK but I would definitely rather live on my own again

Humbert Humbert

Bronze

Post by Humbert Humbert » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:30 pm

Graduated in 2012 and got my own apartment (with roommates) upon moving to New York. If I had the chance to live with my parents during that first year, I would have saved 15-20k on rent, and probably a few more thousand on food. So uh yeah, would have done that in a heartbeat. There are obvious downsides to living at home as a 22/23 year old (and upsides to having your own place), but I don't think they are worth 20k. Unfortunately I did not grow up in New York, so the point is moot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawschoolwoohoo

Bronze

Post by lawschoolwoohoo » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:18 pm

Not sure how to vote. I had two months between my lease ending in my last city and my lease starting my lease where I'm going to law school so I lived at home and spent a few weeks traveling for those two months, but it was more of a temporary situation than a permanent one.

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:42 pm

20 year old with awesome parents here. Hasn't been too much of a damper, might even stay here for part of LS if i get UPenn. I would love to live on my own for privacy/independence reasons and all but i'm saving so much on rent and food that its worth it.

Gamine

New

Post by Gamine » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:34 am

twentypercentmore wrote:I was a commuter, so there wasn't really any "moving back in." Rent here is insanely high, so every month I live with my parents, I calm myself by realizing that that's almost $1,700 I didn't have to spend this month on rent.

This. And I live in one of the most expensive cities in the world so it's far better this way.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

Post by Lovely Ludwig Van » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:23 am

2 years out from undergrad, lived at home for 2 months after graduation, moved out of state for a gig, have been on my own since then.

It's awesome whenever I visit home because my parents always insist on buying me shit and paying random bills for me. You only get this kind of treatment when you live on your own and only come home every once in a while.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:39 am

You're missing the option "I don't live at home but my parents pay my rent and pay for all my food/entertainment"

Spoiled kids need love too

John Winger

New

Post by John Winger » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:54 am

Moved back into the suburbs after graduation in May. Been working about 45 hours a week in the city and prepping for the LSAT simultaneously. Totally not worth it to sepnd 700-1000/month on rent. Especially when I get homemeade dinner almost everyday. If I go out a night on the weekends in the city I can crash at a friends place. Would even consider trying to live at home and commute next fall if I go to school ini the city. Would dfinitely keep the total COA down but I think eventually I would go insane.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:00 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:You're missing the option "I don't live at home but my parents pay my rent and pay for all my food/entertainment"

Lol no they dont/shouldnt

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:32 pm

I wonder how many law school grads move back in with the parents...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:38 pm

phillywc wrote:20 year old with awesome parents here. Hasn't been too much of a damper, might even stay here for part of LS if i get UPenn. I would love to live on my own for privacy/independence reasons and all but i'm saving so much on rent and food that its worth it.
Don't do this 1L. You know how important 1L grades are, and I'd imagine it'd be much easier to get more done in your own apartment.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:42 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:You're missing the option "I don't live at home but my parents pay my rent and pay for all my food/entertainment"

Similar.

Working full time so I'm saving up so much dough right now. :D

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:10 pm

john7234797 wrote:I wonder how many law school grads move back in with the parents...
You rang?

KingofSplitters55

Bronze

Post by KingofSplitters55 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:34 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
phillywc wrote:20 year old with awesome parents here. Hasn't been too much of a damper, might even stay here for part of LS if i get UPenn. I would love to live on my own for privacy/independence reasons and all but i'm saving so much on rent and food that its worth it.
Don't do this 1L. You know how important 1L grades are, and I'd imagine it'd be much easier to get more done in your own apartment.
Agreed. When you are paying likely $200K+ already, skimping on a few hundred a month for such a huge boost seems like an unjustified risk from a cost-benefit standpoint. Just find roommates (from a pool of all your fellow 1Ls) and it really isn't that expensive at all.

Back to the poll topic, live with parents while working full time (40 hour weeks). It sucks. But I'm saving a lot of money and only doing it till my LSAT's done.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thewaves

Bronze

Post by thewaves » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:41 am

I've been living at home and working for one year now. Commute to work is 10 minutes. Downside: not feeling independent, far away from the city, damper on social life, etc. However, I get into the city, crash with friends enough on the weekends, and have a SO who has an apartment so I can sleep over. Kind of a bum :D . Will have about $80K saved up by the time I leave for law school, and I generally do not worry so much about spending money on eating out when I do/other expenses, so I think it's worth it!

arkgawilson

Bronze

Post by arkgawilson » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:21 am

jbagelboy wrote:

My sentiments exactly.

Humbert Humbert

Bronze

Post by Humbert Humbert » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:10 am

thewaves wrote:I've been living at home and working for one year now. Commute to work is 10 minutes. Downside: not feeling independent, far away from the city, damper on social life, etc. However, I get into the city, crash with friends enough on the weekends, and have a SO who has an apartment so I can sleep over. Kind of a bum :D . Will have about $80K saved up by the time I leave for law school, and I generally do not worry so much about spending money on eating out when I do/other expenses, so I think it's worth it!
Um, yeah, I would say so. Congrats on that.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:35 pm

banjo wrote:My parents loved having me home for a year while I worked full time. I did stuff around the house, set up Netflix, took them to the movies, etc. My mom almost cried when I moved my stuff in to my new place.

I would have liked some privacy and being closer to friends, but I can't complain about the home-cooked meals and my laundry magically getting done every once in a while.
Sounds like you and I had very similar experiences.

To me the main disadvantage of living at home was psychological. I sorta could never feel independent at home even if I thought I was acting independently due to the inherent nature of that parent/child relationship; my dad told me that even now in his 40s he feels like a kid whenever he visits his mother and I really felt the strain of that state of mind at times.

Luckily I'm really close with most of my HS friends so I didn't feel like my social life suffered too much at least even if privacy was at a premium. Having lots of money saved up due to not having to pay rent and such was fantastic too, and all and all I had an enjoyable year, as my family and I all knew it was sort of a last hurrah/reunion after UG before I left home for good.

Little do they know there's a non-negligible chance I'll be back as a deadbeat after striking out of LS mirite

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mr. wednesday

Bronze

Post by mr. wednesday » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:53 pm

KingofSplitters55 wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:
Agreed. When you are paying likely $200K+ already, skimping on a few hundred a month for such a huge boost seems like an unjustified risk from a cost-benefit standpoint. Just find roommates (from a pool of all your fellow 1Ls) and it really isn't that expensive at all.
If I could have lived with my parents during 1L year, I would have. If you have a strained relationship with them, sure, it's worth it to move out and have the peace that comes with that. But just as living with your parents can be nice or terrible, roommates can be really terrible too. Whenever I'm home to visit my parents just let me do my thing, often do my laundry for me (which is ridic, I can do it myself just fine), and the only thing they really ask about is whether I'll be having dinner with them. That would have been quieter, less filthy and more pleasant than my 1L roommates by far.

Do whatever causes the least amount of stress.

Sinatra

Bronze

Post by Sinatra » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:35 pm

I worked full time for a year and came back home to study for the LSAT. shits hell

Leaborb192

Bronze

Post by Leaborb192 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:21 pm

arkgawilson wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

My sentiments exactly.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:36 pm

The thing to do is live with your parents AFTER law school.

All the cool kids are doin' it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”