Going to Law School but don't plan on becoming a lawyer Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
BizOwner

New

Re: Going to Law School but don't plan on becoming a lawyer

Post by BizOwner » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:13 am

Unless you plan on running for POTUS.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:18 am

Samara wrote: You should not go to law school if you don't want to be a practicing attorney.
+1

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:33 am

When I decided to attend law school, I did not intend to become a practitioner. There were three factors that contributed to my decision to attend law school despite the fact that I wasn't set on being a lawyer. First, law school was free (full scholarship). Second, I thought law school would be intellectually stimulating. I was correct, but I took a lot of "law and" classes (e.g., philosophy, history). I did NOT take business associations, fed courts, fed tax, or anything gunnerish. I would not have enjoyed law school as much if I had taken more practical courses. Third, I was interested in academia after law school.

Having said that, I should add that nearly all of my classmates are practicing law, as did I before finding a suitable academic post.
Last edited by JazzOne on Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:09 pm

JazzOne wrote:When I decided to attend law school, I did not intend to become a practitioner. There were three factors that contributed to decision to attend law school despite the fact that I wasn't set on being a lawyer. First, law school was free (full scholarship). Second, I thought law school would be intellectually stimulating. I was correct, but I took a lot of "law and" classes (e.g., philosophy, history). I did NOT take business associations, fed courts, fed tax, or anything gunnerish. I would not have enjoyed law school as much if I had taken more practical courses. Third, I was interested in academia after law school.

Having said that, I should add that nearly all of my classmates are practicing law, as did I before finding a suitable academic post.
Nice J1 is perpetuating the degree mill / academia scam. ;)

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:53 pm

typ3 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:When I decided to attend law school, I did not intend to become a practitioner. There were three factors that contributed to decision to attend law school despite the fact that I wasn't set on being a lawyer. First, law school was free (full scholarship). Second, I thought law school would be intellectually stimulating. I was correct, but I took a lot of "law and" classes (e.g., philosophy, history). I did NOT take business associations, fed courts, fed tax, or anything gunnerish. I would not have enjoyed law school as much if I had taken more practical courses. Third, I was interested in academia after law school.

Nice J1 is perpetuating the degree mill / academia scam. ;)
I'm glad you included the emoticon. When I read your post, my initial reaction was anger because I do a LOT to educate my LSAT students about the risks of attending law school. I told someone last week to Google search "scamblog." I also sacrifice a lot of personal income by telling people about TLS instead of charging them $50+/hour for tutoring.

But I see now that you were joking. Nice trolling. Lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:09 am

I was bored and spent a couple hours looking up the 100 United States Senators. Some facts:*

- 56 Senators have JDs [100% of JDs, 56% of Senators]
- 25 JDs are from "regional" schools (i.e., in the Senator's constituency and not in the T14) [45% of JDs, 25% of Senators]
- 19 JDs are from T14 schools [34% of JDs, 19% of Senators]
- 9 JDs are from non-regional schools ranked lower than 50 [16% of JDs, 9% of Senators], and one of those Senators taught at Harvard Law School
- 6 JDs are from Harvard [11% of JDs, 6% of Senators]
- 4 JDs are from Georgetown [7% of JDs, 4% of Senators]
- 3 JDs are from Yale [5% of JDs, 3% of Senators]
- 2 JDs are from UVA
- 2 JDs are from non-regional schools ranked 15-49 [9% of JDs, 2% of Senators] {UCLA and GW, if you're curious}
- 1 JD is from Stanford [2% of JDs, 1% of Senators]
- 1 JD is from NYU [2% of JDs, 1% of Senators]
- 1 JD is from U. Michigan [2% of JDs, 1% of Senators]
- 1 JD was both editor-in-chief of the Yale Law Journal and editorial chairman of the Harvard Crimson, not to mention YLS classmates with the Clintons and clerk to the justice who authored Roe v. Wade just a year after the decision [2% of JDs, 1% of Senators]
- 1 Senator did not receive a bachelor's degree [0% of JDs, 1% of Senators]

*All data from Wikipedia. Rankings refer to 2013 U.S. News rankings.

chaseychase

New

Post by chaseychase » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:58 pm

I'm interning at a bank holding company right now and work closely with the Contracts Department. Every analyst in the department has a law degree; some took the bar and others did not.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:00 pm

nickb285 wrote:Varies, but it's directly proportional to the percentage of idiots at a given law school.
+1

Also what is more disturbing is the amount of people at my school who went to law school for no reason at all. I guess they vaguely believe they might want to practice law, but I pretty much lump them into the "don't want to practice" crowd.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:03 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
nickb285 wrote:Varies, but it's directly proportional to the percentage of idiots at a given law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:03 pm

BizOwner wrote:Unless you plan on running for POTUS.
Gun for dat big presidency.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”