Is a W on the transcript going to hurt T6 chances? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Fish127

New

Is a W on the transcript going to hurt T6 chances?

Post by Fish127 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:31 am

The title is more or less self explanatory. For personal reasons I had to drop a class. It's non-punitive, but because the the aforementioned personal reasons my grade is a C or something (although I don't think that shows up). I've researched the question and have gotten some somewhat conflicting responses. If anybody has personal experience or a good basis for your knowledge that would be helpful.

Also most of the threads I've been looking into have been asking if having a W would hurt you for T14 or T10 schools. I realize that the higher up the list you go, the more competitive things get and the more schools take other non GPA/LSAT factors into account. So will having a W hurt me for T6 chances? How about YHS?
Last edited by Fish127 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

gertie

New

Re: Is a W on the transcript going o hurt T6 chances?

Post by gertie » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:35 am

I had a W on my transcript and I do not think that it hurt my application chances. I was accepted into H and a large number of other T14 schools.
Fish127 wrote:The title is more or less self explanatory. For personal reasons I had to drop a class. It's non-punitive, but because the the aforementioned personal reasons my grade is a C or something (although I don't think that shows up). I've researched the question and have gotten some somewhat conflicting responses. If anybody has personal experience or a good basis for your knowledge that would be helpful.

Also most of the threads I've been looking into have been asking of having a W would hurt you for T14 ot T10 schools. I realize that the higher up the list you go, the more competitive things get and the more schools take other non GPA/LSAT factors into account. So will having a W hurt me for T6 chances? How about YHS?

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Re: Is a W on the transcript going to hurt T6 chances?

Post by RodneyRuxin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:40 am

You vs someone without a W that's close to you (ie 1 or 2 LSAT points, >0.1 GPA)--you'll lose.

So yes, it will hurt your chances (slightly). You have a 3.8; get a 174 and enjoy HYS.

hiltopp01

New

Post by hiltopp01 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:25 am

RodneyRuxin wrote:You vs someone without a W that's close to you (ie 1 or 2 LSAT points, >0.1 GPA)--you'll lose.

So yes, it will hurt your chances (slightly). You have a 3.8; get a 174 and enjoy HYS.
One or two LSAT points and/or >0.1 GPA is huge... I'm sure they'd take a 175/3.9 with a couple W's over a 173/3.8 no W's any day..

OP: Don't worry about the W; general tls consensus is that a few non-punitive W's won't impact your application.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:36 am

No

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:38 am

One W means basically nothing. Nothing.

A record of several W constitutes an average academic negative soft at top schools, similar to taking excessively light course loads, stacking community college credits, having a minor academic C&F, ect. Either way, even multiple W wont tank an application by any stretch

Entire semesters of withdrawals clearly require an addendum and maybe a statement from a dean or academic representative

Ultimately this is all most relevant for Yale and Stanford, somewhat less so for HCCN, and basically meaningless below the lower T14.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:40 am

Br3v wrote:No

North

Gold

Post by North » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:54 pm

[quote="RodneyRuxin"]You vs someone without a W that's close to you (ie 1 or 2 LSAT points, >0.1 GPA)--you'll lose.

[/quote]

North

Gold

Post by North » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:55 pm

stillwater wrote:
Br3v wrote:No

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:21 pm

If the 0Ls in the thread could all hold their breath for a moment, I think you kids are going too far with the "numbers mean everything" shtick on TLS.

You really think that if it comes down to two relatively identical candidates at HYSCCN (GPA/LSAT are in the same places with respect to the 25, 50, and 75th percentiles) that the schools aren't going to look at softs(including a transcript)?

North

Gold

Post by North » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:30 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:If the 0Ls in the thread could all hold their breath for a moment, I think you kids are going too far with the "numbers mean everything" shtick on TLS.

You really think that if it comes down to two relatively identical candidates at HYSCCN (GPA/LSAT are in the same places with respect to the 25, 50, and 75th percentiles) that the schools aren't going to look at softs(including a transcript)?
A W on a transcript is not equal to 1 or 2 points on the LSAT, no matter how much admissions knowledge you think being in LS has given you.

Even with numerically identical candidates, a W on a transcript is so low on the totem pole of softs an AdComm might consider important that it shouldn't even be discussed seriously.

But what do we know, you're in law school.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:34 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:If the 0Ls in the thread could all hold their breath for a moment, I think you kids are going too far with the "numbers mean everything" shtick on TLS.

They'll look at transcripts, but thing is, you're never going to get two candidates who have the IDENTICAL transcript, except that one has one lonely W and the other doesn't. I suppose one W might, possibly, register, but I think the content of the rest of the transcript is going to be a much bigger deal than having a W.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:38 pm

I had like ~5 Ws and it didn't hurt me at all at T6 schools. One is not an issue.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:48 pm

The number scale was to give the OP an idea of what a similar candidate looked like, I wasn't saying (and I think it's clear) that a W=1-2 points on the LSAT.

Nony's post is much more accurate, it's likely insignificant but could have a "slight" (what I said in my original post) detrimental effect.

Post's like Dany's are dangerous. "I had a W and I got in XYZ" is the equivalent of saying "I had multiple mistakes on my writing sample and I got in XYZ." You can't automatically equate that with the "these things don't matter, numbers are everything" approach that TLS loves. If you aren't borderline, softs are unlikely to matter (again, what I implied in my original post), but they can be used to distinguish between candidates.

Also, it's obvious there's not going to be two completely equal candidates--but arguing that is just fighting the hypo rather than acknowledging that it can be a slight detriment to an otherwise equally qualified candidate.

ETA: Sorry about the 0L comment, didn't mean to make it personal. But if you look back a couple years there are threads on this topic where the consensus was the same thing I'm saying.
Last edited by RodneyRuxin on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

North

Gold

Post by North » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:53 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:You vs someone without a W that's close to you (ie 1 or 2 LSAT points, >0.1 GPA)--you'll lose.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:53 pm

If you think one W on a transcript matters you are delusional.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:01 pm

North wrote:
And this is stupid.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:04 pm

Dany wrote:
North wrote:
And this is stupid.
To think it's not gonna matter at all is delusional... and stupid. OP - it will be a small negative, but nothing to break your balls over

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:38 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
Dany wrote:
North wrote:
And this is stupid.
To think it's not gonna matter at all is delusional... and stupid. OP - it will be a small negative, but nothing to break your balls over
No, it's flat out idiotic to categorically say that numbers equal, the dude with the W loses. As if to say that once numbers are hashed out the next thing they jump to is transcript analysis? GTFOOH.

On the list of negative softs, Ws are way way down on the list.

/thread

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:18 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
Dany wrote:
North wrote:
And this is stupid.
This.

/thread.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:28 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:
This.

/thread.
AND ON THE 116th TIEBREAKER, IT GOES TO NOT OP!!!!!

Seriously, its so minor that Ws have no real world value as a determinant.

I could see if we were talking 15+ Ws. Yeah, that looks terrible. But this is 1. Give me a break.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:23 am

Enjoy Cooley.

North

Gold

Post by North » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:56 am

I can't believe that there was a debate about this.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:51 am

Anyone who thinks one W is going to mean a difference at any school in the country is crazy. The perceived difficulty of classwork is going to make 10x the difference in an exact tie numbers situation than one W would. Work experience, undergrad prestige, geographic location, PS, LORs, early/late application, addenda, etc will all come into play before one candidate gets in over another because of one solitary W on a transcript. I'm actually shocked anyone is even suggesting it will have an effect...

vzapana

Silver

Post by vzapana » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:44 am

North wrote:I can't believe that there was a debate about this.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”