Anxiety about Law School!!! Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
nlynes

New

Anxiety about Law School!!!

Post by nlynes » Wed May 22, 2013 4:08 pm

This is my first time using this board and am wondering if it is normal to have a lot of anxiety about law school before I start. I really am not sure whether or not Law School is right for me. I know how difficult it is going to be (my gf is a current attorney and my brother is a current 2L) and that is not what is giving me anxiety (maybe a little that I wont do well). Mainly I am having anxiety over whether or not Law School is right for me and once I commit it will solidify my future is some sense. I am very outgoing and social, good with numbers and enjoy negotiating and traveling. I really want to get into International Development and working with organizations like PeaceCorps and USAID. I really want to get into bringing necessities to third world countries. Ive never worked in business and might have a false vision of what it might be like. I worked at a law firm for a year and a half and did enjoy it. I am really confused and not sure what I should do. I'm 26 and really need to figure out what im doing. Ive already put deposits down at law schools and not sure whether or not I should defer or not.I feel that law school shouldnt be creating this anxiety if it is truly what I should be doing. I am not sure whether I should pursue a JD/MBA or just a JD or just a MBA or neither. Is it normal for 0Ls without a clear direction to have this anxiety? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

nickb285

Silver

Re: Anxiety about Law School!!!

Post by nickb285 » Wed May 22, 2013 4:17 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nlynes

New

Post by nlynes » Wed May 22, 2013 4:34 pm

I think that being an attorney would give me the tools necessary to benefit a lot of people. Also I am undecided in what exactly I want to do and going to Law School might give me some guidance and direction. I am interested in the Law and feel its an amazing education to obtain along with allowing one to work in a great and stable field. I have thought about joining the Peace Corps but it is a very long commitment and I am ready to find a career and start my life. Is it normal for people to have anxiety about law school?

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Wed May 22, 2013 4:42 pm

nlynes wrote:I think that being an attorney would give me the tools necessary to benefit a lot of people. Also I am undecided in what exactly I want to do and going to Law School might give me some guidance and direction. I am interested in the Law and feel its an amazing education to obtain along with allowing one to work in a great and stable field. I have thought about joining the Peace Corps but it is a very long commitment and I am ready to find a career and start my life. Is it normal for people to have anxiety about law school?
This is a bad reason to go to law school. I recommend that you volunteer at a legal office or two before you make such a big decision. Maybe you should try volunteering at your local legal aid office.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Wed May 22, 2013 4:52 pm

nlynes wrote:I think that being an attorney would give me the tools necessary to benefit a lot of people.
A doctor helps people, a fireman helps people, hell a carpenter helps people. Most lawyers, on the other hand, just spin their tires.

Also I am undecided in what exactly I want to do and going to Law School might give me some guidance and direction.
It will. LS guides you in the direction of being a lawyer. Its a professional trade school, not a liberal arts education.
I am interested in the Law and
Then be a cop
feel its an amazing education to obtain along with allowing one to work in a great and stable field.
Not only is the law field horrendously over-saturated, it shows a lot of warning signs that the entire business model is incompatable with globalization and technology.
I have thought about joining the Peace Corps but it is a very long commitment and I am ready to find a career and start my life.
If you are in a rush to start your life, why sacrifice the next four years of your life in a grad school and the bar exam that you might not use?
Is it normal for people to have anxiety about law school?
Yes

Why not join the military? They are the ones who actually end up bringing the supplies, expertise, and hard work to less developed nations. A civil affairs officer in the army or Marines can be directing and coordination a 2000 man relief operation in less than 3 years. Most can then exit option into jobs with the DoS or a development NGO/contractor

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Wed May 22, 2013 5:51 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed May 22, 2013 5:59 pm

Where have you gained admission and what will it cost you?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed May 22, 2013 6:11 pm

What others have said so far in this thread is probably not what you want to hear, but it is also probably right. Your post reads like the textbook thought process of someone who should not go to law school. In fact, wanting to help people overseas might be the number one reason not to go to law school. Likewise, an interest in numbers, traveling, and negotiating is concerning. Most good legal jobs involve (1) a business-related practice and (2) solitary, technical, detail-oriented reading and writing. I'm not necessarily saying you shouldn't do it, but you are right to be considering deferring or backing out. Good luck.

nlynes

New

Post by nlynes » Wed May 22, 2013 6:40 pm

I taught English in China for a yr and had an LSAC fee waiver so I applied all over. My main choices now are the University of the Pacific McGeorge in Sacramento (cost me in total about 110k after graduating), Chapman (120k), Syracuse (93k), Cal Western (85K). I received substantial scholarships (from 70%-90%) from most schools but those are my top choices now.

I do know how saturated the legal market is but it the degree itself speaks so highly about someone it can always lead to a job. Also the majority of my friends that are lawyers tell me that it is difficult to find work but that you have to be willing to relocate counties to find it.

I worked at a general practice for a year and a half and enjoyed it. I am passionate about public interest and I know that I could get into a field that allows me to help out. I know that it might sound stupid but I know that law is broad enough that I should be able to find something that I am passionate about.

I am assuming that the majority of people that responded are attorneys. Maybe you could tell me what you love your profession.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nlynes

New

Post by nlynes » Wed May 22, 2013 6:44 pm

Thanks Bronte. You are definitely right in that this is not what I wanted to hear but I also figured that was what I would hear. I have a lot to think about but I do appreciate any and all input.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed May 22, 2013 6:46 pm

nlynes wrote:I taught English in China for a yr and had an LSAC fee waiver so I applied all over. My main choices now are the University of the Pacific McGeorge in Sacramento (cost me in total about 110k after graduating), Chapman (120k), Syracuse (93k), Cal Western (85K). I received substantial scholarships (from 70%-90%) from most schools but those are my top choices now.

I do know how saturated the legal market is but it the degree itself speaks so highly about someone it can always lead to a job. Also the majority of my friends that are lawyers tell me that it is difficult to find work but that you have to be willing to relocate counties to find it.

I worked at a general practice for a year and a half and enjoyed it. I am passionate about public interest and I know that I could get into a field that allows me to help out. I know that it might sound stupid but I know that law is broad enough that I should be able to find something that I am passionate about.

I am assuming that the majority of people that responded are attorneys. Maybe you could tell me what you love your profession.
I'm going to assume this is a well thought out flame? So little of what you said is true, and those schools have TERRIBLE employment outcomes.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Wed May 22, 2013 6:57 pm

nlynes wrote: .... I am passionate about public interest and I know that I could get into a field that allows me to help out. I know that it might sound stupid but I know that law is broad enough that I should be able to find something that I am passionate about ...
Try this exercise to see what your options truly are. It will take some time, but its worth it.

1. Select five fields of law that you would like to practice in. The kind of jobs that would be worth the outlay of a huge amount of risk. three years of your time, and 100k dollars.

2. Find 5 attorneys that actually have jobs in the field.

3. Research them. See where they went to school, how well they did, where else they worked, and when they were hired (and from where),

4. See how often those people move up or out. For many of the most exciting legal jobs, the only way to get a foot in the door is be Yale Class of '77 (For example, Nancy Hendry, the Peace Corp's Lawyer hasn't budged since 1996 and it looks like much of her full time staff graduated between 75-85.)

5. Email Some of them

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed May 22, 2013 7:14 pm

nlynes wrote:Thanks Bronte. You are definitely right in that this is not what I wanted to hear but I also figured that was what I would hear. I have a lot to think about but I do appreciate any and all input.
You're welcome. I'm going to go on to say more that you probably don't want to hear, so brace yourself and bear with me.
nlynes wrote:I taught English in China for a yr and had an LSAC fee waiver so I applied all over. My main choices now are the University of the Pacific McGeorge in Sacramento (cost me in total about 110k after graduating), Chapman (120k), Syracuse (93k), Cal Western (85K). I received substantial scholarships (from 70%-90%) from most schools but those are my top choices now.

The new information you've revealed in this post is even more concerning than what you said in your original post. As one poster has already indicated, it is so concerning that it will lead a lot of people on this forum to believe that you have invented it to get a rise out of us. I will treat it as true, however, since I would like to give you good advice assuming you're not flaming.

First, the schools you referenced do indeed have dismal employment prospects. Only 40.5% of graduates from the University of the Pacific, for example, were able to find legal jobs. See http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=pacific. Attending law school is unwise if your interest in becoming a lawyer is marginal, but it is much, much more unwise if you add to that that you're planning to attend a low ranking school like those you mentioned.

Second, it might be true that getting a JD "speaks highly" of the recipient. But it is absolutely not true--and I can't emphasize this enough--that "it can always lead to a job." The cold, hard fact is that a JD, especially from a low-ranking school, often does not lead to a job that one could not have attained absent the JD. What it can reliably lead to is six figures in debt.

Third, law is not as a broad of a field as you might think. The vast majority of lawyers do one of two things: (1) dispute resolution and (2) transactional planning. Almost all of them work either for law firms, for large corporations, or for the government. A very small number work for nonprofits, but these are highly-coveted positions that are very difficult to obtain.

The JD is not a general-purpose degree that broadens your career options. It is a professional degree designed for a narrow set of career options. A general desire to help people is a very bad reason to get the degree, and I believe this one of the main reason so many lawyers are unhappy.

Finally, and this is a side point, the majority of people that responded to you probably are not attorneys. Most posters on this site are prospective law students and law students. There is now a large group of posters that just graduated and are studying for the bar. And there are a handful of practicing attorneys. I'm in the group that just graduated. I can tell you more about myself if you'd like, but I don't think it's particularly relevant.

I urge you to think about this advice objectively.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JDndMSW

Silver

Post by JDndMSW » Fri May 24, 2013 9:26 pm

If McGeorge with 110k debt is your only option you need to retake. Take another year to think about it and retake the LSAT. McG was throwing money at applicants this year I was offered full with a 3.5 162.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Sat May 25, 2013 1:28 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:

I'm going to assume this is a well thought out flame? So little of what you said is true, and those schools have TERRIBLE employment outcomes.
I think the assumption that most responders are attorneys is a clear indicator of a flame, a very snarky op, or someone way more hopeless than we thought.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”