JD or PhD for Health Policy? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
mbarrera

New

JD or PhD for Health Policy?

Post by mbarrera » Mon May 20, 2013 10:37 am

I got my BS in Health Policy, took a year off to work, then started my MPH at a top 5 program. I'm working this summer as a policy analyst in DC. I've taken some basic ethics, law, policy, econ courses and am considering applying to law schools. What I'm really interested in is public health and insurance law (for example, mandates) rather than hospital-type things. My diagnostic is good, not great (164).

I've been getting conflicting messages on whether getting a JD is a good next move. It seems like a lot of policy analysts & people in government/politics have JDs. I've also been told that, in the office I'm working this summer, having a master's is equivalent to being entry-level. I'm afraid that a PhD might close a lot of doors by being so specific.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated!

cinephile

Gold

Re: JD or PhD for Health Policy?

Post by cinephile » Mon May 20, 2013 11:37 am

You have an mph from a top program. Why do you need more degrees? Just get a job in your field. You credentials should be good enough.

Don't get a JD if you don't want to be a lawyer. It will close a lot of doors if you're not looking at law.

mbarrera

New

Post by mbarrera » Mon May 20, 2013 11:49 am

cinephile wrote:You have an mph from a top program. Why do you need more degrees? Just get a job in your field. You credentials should be good enough.

Don't get a JD if you don't want to be a lawyer. It will close a lot of doors if you're not looking at law.

I think once you're in academia, it seems like everyone has +1 advanced degree. Most people in my office are working on their PhD. Thank you for the advice!

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri May 24, 2013 2:37 am

don't go to lolschool, OP

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Fri May 24, 2013 1:38 pm

Go for a fully-funded part-time PhD. Piddle around with it for the next six years while you're working as opposed to coming home and playing Xbox, and you'll be done before you know it. ^_^

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thewaves

Bronze

Post by thewaves » Mon May 27, 2013 8:46 pm

cinephile wrote:You have an mph from a top program. Why do you need more degrees? Just get a job in your field. You credentials should be good enough.

this

mx23250

Silver

Post by mx23250 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:48 pm

An MPH should be plenty sufficient to do what you want given your career goals. You should look into the "Presidential Management Fellows Program". It's an excellent program intended for individuals with graduate degrees with interests like you have. It's highly competitive, but if you get in you'll have a pretty excellent career in health policy with lots of advancement opportunities in the public sector. Many of the top execs/directors in the various branches of gov't entered through this program. I have a PhD in the life sciences (cancer focus) and explored this option thoroughly but decided to go more into the legal aspect of the science and technology industry. It seems like most of the people who do the PMFP have masters.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”