Study Abroad and Law Review/Moot Court Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
kweehunt

New

Study Abroad and Law Review/Moot Court

Post by kweehunt » Sat May 04, 2013 5:44 pm

Does a study abroad program for a non-summer semester typically prevent you from being on law review or moot court?

cinephile

Gold

Re: Study Abroad and Law Review/Moot Court

Post by cinephile » Sat May 04, 2013 6:15 pm

Probably depends. At my school, journals only require you to participate during 2L. If you don't want to, you don't have to stay on during 3L. Also, our moot court only takes place in fall - and you don't have to do it both years if you don't want to.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat May 04, 2013 7:30 pm

At my school LR requires you to participate both years. However, I would think 3L year you could do pretty much all your work electronically (it would depend on how your journal administers work and how the work is divided). The secondary journals only require one year. Moot court was also 2L and 3L, although spring 2L was usually free. I think you'd just have to check with the groups at your school.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sat May 04, 2013 9:36 pm

Also, if you're not at school yet, it might be a bit premature to plan for a study abroad. I had (what I thought was) a compelling reason to study abroad and the administration denied me because I don't have a SA. They don't want people going if they don't already have a permanent job lined up because otherwise you need to be using 3L year to job search. And if I did have a job lined up, I would've needed the permission/approval of my firm to go abroad. The school doesn't want us to do anything to alienate our potential future employers, and I get that, but it's a bit ridiculous. So, long story short, it may not be as easy to study abroad as you might think and may be too early to start planning for it if you don't know the procedure at your given school.

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Sun May 05, 2013 4:50 pm

My school you need 3 semesters in town to be on journal, and any time away means you can't be in a higher position. But my school also has provisions where it can't rescind your journal because you're doing an out-of-town externship/study abroad.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun May 05, 2013 5:44 pm

My school requires two years of participation on journal, but most of it can be done remotely, and they will work with people doing study abroad stuff.

jkay

Bronze

Post by jkay » Sun May 05, 2013 7:23 pm

Another member of the e-board on our review is publishing an article while studying abroad this semester. The amount of extra work I feel like I have done for this person because they are out of the country makes me want to punch this person in the throat.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”