4.0 vs. 4.3 Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
isuperserial

Silver

4.0 vs. 4.3

Post by isuperserial » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:24 am

At my school, they don't give out higher than a 4.0. If you ace the class, then at the end of the day you receive a 4.0 on your transcript. How does one get a 4.3? Do you only get a 4.3 on the LSDAS GPA if you have a 4.3 on your transcript? Is it based on percentage or something?

Various sites seem to say that an A+ is a 4.3, but my school doesn't give out letter grades, they give out number grades.

If you only get the 4.3 boost if you go to the right school, that seems pretty fucked up. I would have that extra .3 in at least three of my classes...

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm talking about the 4.0 vs. 4.3 in individual classes. My overall GPA is far from a 4.0.
Last edited by isuperserial on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ave

Bronze

Re: 4.0 vs. 4.3

Post by Ave » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:27 am

If you get a 4.0 and a matching LSAT, it won't matter

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:28 am

Wow, complaining about having a 4.0 instead of a 4.3. Luckily for you, there isn't really functional difference for law school admissions as both are above every school's 75th percentile.

#firstworldproblems

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:30 am

I feel you, but nothing we can do about it. A 4.00 never kept anyone out of law school though.

isuperserial

Silver

Post by isuperserial » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:30 am

Samara wrote:Wow, complaining about having a 4.0 instead of a 4.3. Luckily for you, there isn't really functional difference for law school admissions as both are above every school's 75th percentile.

#firstworldproblems
Whoa whoa whoa, I don't have a 4.0 overall GPA. I have a 4.0 in like a few of my classes that would have been 4.3s. I have an overall GPA of 3.6. However, that would be brought up further if I were to get that extra .3 Essentially I would love if those could've slid my GPA up a tiny bit more.

Sorry if I wasn't clear on that, and definitely didn't mean to sound like a whiny prick. My grades could actually use the boost.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:32 am

isuperserial wrote:
Samara wrote:Wow, complaining about having a 4.0 instead of a 4.3. Luckily for you, there isn't really functional difference for law school admissions as both are above every school's 75th percentile.

#firstworldproblems
Whoa whoa whoa, I don't have a 4.0 overall GPA. I have a 4.0 in like a few of my classes that would have been 4.3s. I have an overall GPA of 3.6. However, that would be brought up further if I were to get that extra .3 Essentially I would love if those could've slid my GPA up a tiny bit more.

Sorry if I wasn't clear on that, and definitely didn't mean to sound like a whiny prick. My grades could actually use the boost.
Sorry bro, there are lots of "unfair" things about law school admissions. If you're really worried about it, transfer to Western State Online College and cop dem sweet A+s in underwater basket weaving.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:32 am

#firstworldproblems
Also, this isn't just a problem at the 4.0 level. I have a pretty terrible GPA, but many of the classes I did earn an A with would have been an A+ if they were offered, which would offset the classes I did far worse in.

isuperserial

Silver

Post by isuperserial » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:34 am

Samara wrote:
isuperserial wrote:

#firstworldproblems

Sorry bro, there are lots of "unfair" things about law school admissions. If you're really worried about it, transfer to Western State Online College and cop dem sweet A+s in underwater basket weaving.
Well, I'm planning on doing well enough on the LSAT to make up for it, but every little bit counts. I'll just have to work harder, I suppose. Thanks for the straightforward answer, bud.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:35 am

isuperserial wrote:Well, I'm planning on doing well enough on the LSAT to make up for it, but every little bit counts. I'll just have to work harder, I suppose. Thanks for the straightforward answer, bud.
I feel you. Just have to kill that LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:54 am

That extra 1 GPA point per A+ in a normal hour class isn't going to make that huge of a difference. My undergrad school counts A+ and A as the same as 4.0 on their transcript. The difference between that GPA and my LSAC GPA is a 0.04. I have 5 A+ on my transcript.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:13 pm

isuperserial wrote:At my school, they don't give out higher than a 4.0. If you ace the class, then at the end of the day you receive a 4.0 on your transcript. How does one get a 4.3? Do you only get a 4.3 on the LSDAS GPA if you have a 4.3 on your transcript? Is it based on percentage or something?

Various sites seem to say that an A+ is a 4.3, but my school doesn't give out letter grades, they give out number grades.

If you only get the 4.3 boost if you go to the right school, that seems pretty fucked up. I would have that extra .3 in at least three of my classes...

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm talking about the 4.0 vs. 4.3 in individual classes. My overall GPA is far from a 4.0.
This is why law schools place more emphasis on LSAT than GPA.

isuperserial

Silver

Post by isuperserial » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:43 am

TripTrip wrote:
isuperserial wrote:At my school, they don't give out higher than a 4.0. If you ace the class, then at the end of the day you receive a 4.0 on your transcript. How does one get a 4.3? Do you only get a 4.3 on the LSDAS GPA if you have a 4.3 on your transcript? Is it based on percentage or something?

This is why law schools place more emphasis on LSAT than GPA.
Fair enough. For all it's faults, this is one of the reasons I support standardized testing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”