Mac or PC? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Grazzhoppa

Bronze

Re: Mac or PC?

Post by Grazzhoppa » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:23 am

kalvano wrote:
Grazzhoppa wrote:How is this even a question? Thinkpad every time.
I hate my Thinkpad. I should have bought an Asus or a Mac.
Really? I love mine and its like 5 years old. What don't you like about yours?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:31 am

Grazzhoppa wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Grazzhoppa wrote:How is this even a question? Thinkpad every time.
I hate my Thinkpad. I should have bought an Asus or a Mac.
Really? I love mine and its like 5 years old. What don't you like about yours?

It runs like crap. The battery was blown out before it was two years old, and it weighs a metric tonne. The screen sucks, and is re easily scratched than my cat's scratching post. Would not recommend.

Grazzhoppa

Bronze

Post by Grazzhoppa » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:31 pm

That sucks. What you deserve for having a cat though. Filthy animals.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:43 pm

He keeps the dogs in line by treating them like ponies.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:49 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:
Crowing wrote:PC = cheaper and more compatibility

Why would anybody ever buy a Mac.
Cheap and they get screwed up in 6 months or less.

I've had mac's since 2007. 2 Macbook Pro's each for 3 years. Never had one problem with them. Plus when I sold my old one to get a new one in 2010, I still got a good value for it.

I will never own a PC ever again. "They just work" is really true. If you are interested in getting a Mac and have time before school starts I would say buy one and try it out. It takes a lil bit to find out all the features and how to do things. If you don't like it before the 30 days is up, take it back and get a pc.

But don't change to a new computer if school is going to start in a month. You gotta take time to learn how it works.

I hate these questions though. If you have no idea how a computer works besides email and Facebook, you should learn about the different technologies like SSD and USB 3.0 to make a better informed decision.
Don't be a boomer and buy HPs/Toshibas/other mass-produced shit . My last Asus is now 5 years old and still runs perfectly. I just picked up a new Sager a year ago and it has ben fantastic. It was ~$500 cheaper than a Samsung or Dell with equivalent specs too.

I still don't understand why anybody would (reasonably) buy a Mac.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:55 pm

Just got a decent budget-gaming laptop for around 800 bucks. Suck it, Macs.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:12 pm

I mean I love Apple and I still can't justify it. Steve Jobs is literally my dad's hero so I was indoctrinated at a pretty young age, and as a pseudo hipster-hippie I'm all into the image. I picked iPhone over Android, iPad Mini over other tablets, and hell probably would've bought the iRack [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw2nkoGLhrE] if it was a real thing.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:37 pm

Crowing wrote:I mean I love Apple and I still can't justify it. Steve Jobs is literally my dad's hero so I was indoctrinated at a pretty young age, and as a pseudo hipster-hippie I'm all into the image. I picked iPhone over Android, iPad Mini over other tablets, and hell probably would've bought the iRack [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw2nkoGLhrE] if it was a real thing.

thanks for the link. hilarious

Brixton

New

Post by Brixton » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:25 pm

I've had the same black MacBook for maybe 6 or 7 years (can't remember now,) but now I'm thinking it's time to get a new computer. The plastic is cracking on this laptop and the battery life is nonexistent. It has been so long since I've even looked at computers that I'm completely oblivious to the types of technology out there today. I like the operating system on the Mac and I've been very happy with this laptop, but I'm not a fan of the price point for a new one. I feel like I'm starting all over again to learn the specs and what's what of computers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TunnelVision

New

Post by TunnelVision » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:34 pm

What size (13, 15?) laptop is ideal for law school, particularly for taking exams?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:22 pm

Is it your primary computer? I would take the 13 since it's smaller all-around, including weight, but I have a desktop at home I work on. If it was going to be my only computer, I would go with the 15.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:45 pm

TunnelVision wrote:What size (13, 15?) laptop is ideal for law school, particularly for taking exams?
14 is my favorite size for the combination of mobility and screen size, but they tend to be more expensive than 15.6 which is more standard.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Fri May 03, 2013 7:49 pm

Bumped to mention NU Law linked me Apple's store page and now I am "shopping for education."
The Macbook airs are suddenly $50 cheaper. Thought people should know in case they go this route. Haven't fully looked through the site but I would guess other things are cheaper as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri May 03, 2013 8:12 pm

Get a Mac Book Pro

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:46 pm

I think one of the biggest reasons to get a PC is because 15.6" screens are really valuable in law school. I constantly have two windows open in a split screen. It's how I take finals. My exam answer on one side, my outline on the other. It's great for writing papers, you have have your source in one and your paper in the other. It's good for dicking around in class because you have have notes on one side and your web browser on the other.

You are going to spend outrageous amounts of time on your laptop during law school, don't be stuck with a tiny screen.

As for Mac v. PC:

Apple does over charge by about 200-300 bucks for similar specs. Worse, IMO, is they'll cram some good components and then cheap out on stuff like graphics cards. And they price their screen sizes insanely, so if you want something bigger than 13 inches you have to pay 1800 bucks and get a suped up laptop, even if you don't need one.

No it's not worth it because Apple "is more reliable." Plenty of PC manufactures are slightly more reliable. Just avoid HP, ACER, Compaq or Gateway. Asus and Toshiba are better than Apple.

"But I've never had any issue with Apple and my PC BROKE!" Go here please: --LinkRemoved--

"I don't want a cheap plastic laptop." Stop comparing your new MacBook Pro to your 8 old DELL that cost 400 dollars in 2005. Most PC make solid aluminum body laptops.

If you want to game at all, they are a shit choice.

BUT:

200-300 dollars over 3-5 years is a pretty small difference. If you think the Apple is cool and you want it, it's not a stupid choice. Thats like 8 bucks a month. Brewing your own coffee instead of starbucks will cost like 5 times more than that.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri May 03, 2013 8:51 pm

The user features on Macs >>> those on PCs. I don't do anything serious with my computer anymore so I don't care too much about high-end performance. I just video-edit, do normal erryday computer things, and internet browse, and macs make all three of those things more enjoyable than on Windows. Just really utilize the touchpad way better than Windows has as of yet.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri May 03, 2013 8:58 pm

Kronk wrote:The user features on Macs >>> those on PCs. I don't do anything serious with my computer anymore so I don't care too much about high-end performance. I just video-edit, do normal erryday computer things, and internet browse, and macs make all three of those things more enjoyable than on Windows. Just really utilize the touchpad way better than Windows has as of yet.
+1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Fri May 03, 2013 9:43 pm

Holy shit Compaq isn't dead yet?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:46 pm

Crowing wrote:Holy shit Compaq isn't dead yet?
I know right? I bought one in 2007 - on blackfriday. It cost 350 bucks and lasted 3 years. Worth it. But they piles of shit .

J-e-L-L-o

Bronze

Post by J-e-L-L-o » Fri May 03, 2013 9:57 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
Kronk wrote:The user features on Macs >>> those on PCs. I don't do anything serious with my computer anymore so I don't care too much about high-end performance. I just video-edit, do normal erryday computer things, and internet browse, and macs make all three of those things more enjoyable than on Windows. Just really utilize the touchpad way better than Windows has as of yet.
+1

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:59 pm

Maybe Mac can User Feature a right click button.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

J-e-L-L-o

Bronze

Post by J-e-L-L-o » Fri May 03, 2013 10:09 pm

[quote="Dr. Dre"]Get a Mac Book ProAir[/quote]

FTFY

You don't need the Pro if you aren't doing graphics work or need the storage.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri May 03, 2013 10:10 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Maybe Mac can User Feature a right click button.
They do. Click with two fingers, bro. Haven't used a mac in awhile DF?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri May 03, 2013 10:12 pm

Kronk wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Maybe Mac can User Feature a right click button.
They do. Click with two fingers, bro. Haven't used a mac in awhile DF?
Doesn't work for games. Then again, touchpads don't either so my point sucks.

HankBashir

Silver

Post by HankBashir » Fri May 03, 2013 10:14 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:Get a Mac Book ProAir[/quote]

FTFY

You don't need the Pro if you aren't doing graphics work or need the storage.
If you care about having a disc drive or an ethernet port, I'd get a Pro. You can get USB adaptations for both, but with only two ports, that could get messy.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”