What's the best major for law school? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
triplevkid

New

Post by triplevkid » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:32 am

???
Last edited by triplevkid on Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

pdennis1000

New

Post by pdennis1000 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:00 pm

I'd be curious to see statistics of UG majors of attending law students. I know some of the law schools show simplified stats for this.

I double majored in history and humanities which sounds fluffy but at my UG school history majors were required to write a thesis. The only other folks who had to were honors college students (sucked for them if they were an honors college student studying history). Even my friends at the fancy private schools said "you have to write a thesis? daaaaaaaamn."

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:04 pm

What's the best major for law school?
Something that can get you a job in case you decide, during your 4 years of UG, that law school isn't for you!

escobarsonlam

New

Post by escobarsonlam » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:00 pm

^ as always, that guy knows what he's talking about. i know the answer seems funny or looks like a joke but damn if he isn't right.

sarahs5

New

Post by sarahs5 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:43 am

i've heard that there's no one specific major that is preferred among law schools. however, i think english majors probably fare the best on the lsat and in law school because of the massive amounts of reading and writing required. i hope it's true that major doesn't matter because i'm an anthro major. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ihatelaw

Bronze

Post by ihatelaw » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:44 am

not true. of the humanities/social sciences econ majors and philosophy majors score highest on the lsat. not necessarily faring best but id say about the closest we can come to make an objective statement is by looking at lsat scores.

paulie

New

Post by paulie » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:37 am

i think econ majors definitely have an advantage when it comes to logic games on the LSAT, at least - when i first started studying them they seemed strikingly similar to a number of the problem sets i've had to do.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:42 am

Study from Southern Illinois University correlating success in law school and earnings as a lawyer with undergraduate majors. The study found that...

"The evidence indicated that lawyers with undergraduate training in economics tend to earn more than other lawyers, ceteris paribus. Those who obtain an undergraduate degree in economics earned approximately 12.7 percent more than others, on average, and this was the only undergraduate field associated with earnings that differ significantly".

http://www.siu.edu/~econ/documents/econlawyers.pdf

Course, the study *was* done by a bunch of Econ prof's, so you never know with these things.

ihatelaw

Bronze

Post by ihatelaw » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:46 am

that also might have more to do with career choice. how many econ majors do you know who end up working public interest?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

johnyk

New

Post by johnyk » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:12 am

english literature is the best prep in my opinion

johnyk

New

Post by johnyk » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:30 am

sbrown83 what music school did you go to ??? I majored in Music (Piano) too

i graduated from The Eastman School of Music in Rochester

Demosthenes

New

Post by Demosthenes » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:37 am

I think as long as you're able to use critical thinking as a vital part of your major, you'll be fine.

finalnight

New

Post by finalnight » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:36 pm

a rigourous econ program isn't a bad idea, or you can do poli sci like my brother, not attend half your classes, spend your time studying for the lsat and get into nyu with a 3.6 gpa

lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mok749

New

Re: What's the best major for law school?

Post by mok749 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:06 pm

Here's my experience:

Molecular biology: Helps considerably with reading comprehension. Trying to wrap your head around papers with tons of unfamiliar terms is just like the RC component. You have to learn the relationships between components that you don't understand.

Computing Science: Helps considerably with logic reasoning. Huge help with logic games. Essentially a major devoted to logic games, except that you have to construct solid logical proofs for your answers :). You also get to write the IP bar, and have a good paying exit strategy.

Philosophy: Huge help with logic reasoning. Obvious reasons.

In my COMPLETELY UNBIASED ;) opinion, computing science wins :)

Bronze

Post by 18488 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:40 pm

sbrown83 what music school did you go to ??? I majored in Music (Piano) too
greetings fellow pianist!

i went to CCM at the University of Cincinnati. Who did you study with at Eastman?

TTtoilet

New

Post by TTtoilet » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:37 pm

Music major.
Last edited by TTtoilet on Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

readinmonotone

New

Post by readinmonotone » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:00 pm

hear hear, music majors!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Grad_Student

Bronze

Post by Grad_Student » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:43 am

Philosophy

SeekingHeight

New

Post by SeekingHeight » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:49 am

History. Dense reading, interpreting argumentation, and writing argumentation. It gets the job done, and I find it to be a lot more concrete than philosophy. That said, I did combine my history studies with a good deal of philosophy courses (e.g., symbolic logic).

Harvey Dent

New

Post by Harvey Dent » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:44 am

philosophy. intro to logic alone will cover everything you need to know for LG and then some. you will regularly encounter reading passages that will be light years more complex and boring than anything you'll encounter on RC or during the rest of your life:

The employment of the pure understanding then becomes dialectical. The second part of transcendental logic must therefore form a critique of this dialectical illusion, and is called transcendental dialectic, not as an art of producing such illusion dogmatically (an art unfortunately very commonly practised by metaphysical jugglers), but as a critique of understanding and reason in respect of their hyperphysical employment. It will expose the false, illu-sory character of those groundless pretensions, and in place of the high claims to discover and to extend knowledge merely by means of transcendental principles, it will substitute what is no more than a critical treatment of the pure understanding, for the guarding of it against sophistical illusion. Kant--Critique of Pure Reason

and pretty much every grade in philosophy courses is determined by either written papers or essay exams.

JSandlin

New

Post by JSandlin » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:08 am

To whoever thinks that English and humanities/social science majors prepare you better for law school than engineering:

To say that engineering does not have a strong writing component is to completely miss the point of the education. Instead, not only does engineering require a large body of writing, but it also forces you to focus on writing papers that consistently prove and argue for your findings. This writing of a technical manner is most similar to that which you will be writing in law school, as writing in law school focuses less on creative and poetic writing but on logical writing. Not to say that humanities/social science majors are not difficult, just that the broad style of writing that they encompass is a little unnecessary.

Engineering causes you to do three things that will help you on the LSAT:

Read complicated and unfamiliar texts (RC section)
Develop problem solving skills (LG section)
Mathematically and logically prove things as truth (LR section)

Unfortunately, if you hate math and science like the majority does, choosing engineering will do you no good. This is just my humble, unbiased opinion.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

overcastagain

New

Post by overcastagain » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:02 am

I work for a engineering firm and we have two full time editors whose sole job is to correct and format the reports written by the engineers before they can be sent out to clients. Some of that is to standarize the report but there is a lot of correcting that is needed as well.

mark.lee13

New

Post by mark.lee13 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:52 am

I am a political science major but I am considering to switch my major into economics. Economics adviser made clear this would work out better for me while IN law school as well as law schools picking economics majors over political science majors. People are bias as was the adviser but I wanted more objective opinions. Should I switch to economics if it looks that much better?

Ryuuza

New

Post by Ryuuza » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:06 am

You should do what you want to do regardless of what looks better. You also have to consider the fact that if you go into a field that you hate, you are more likely to do poorly. And a lower gpa has more of a negative connotation than a oversaturated major.

soulp

New

Post by soulp » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:52 pm

If you want to go into corporate do economics. you'll do best that way. some of my colleagues have studies under other colleges and I excel beyond their knowledge of corporate law. from the corporate lawyers I met they have backgrounds in business or economics. economics all the way!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”