Negotiating Scholarship Question Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
vayze

New

Negotiating Scholarship Question

Post by vayze » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:40 pm

Can I negotiate a scholarship if I did not receive one from a school ranked #25 - 30 with a Full-tuition scholarship from a school ranked between #50 - #70?

Here come the trolls!

crazyducky924

New

Re: Negotiating Scholarship Question

Post by crazyducky924 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:25 pm

vayze wrote:Can I negotiate a scholarship if I did not receive one from a school ranked #25 - 30 with a Full-tuition scholarship from a school ranked between #50 - #70?

Here come the trolls!
Absolutely! A full tuition scholarship is a threat to any prospective school no matter where the other offer came from. I got a full tuition scholarship offer to a school (rank 50-55) after little negotiation because I had already received a full tuition scholarship offer from a school not even top 100.

Either way it never hurts to ask...

BostonLove

New

Post by BostonLove » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:50 pm

vayze wrote:Can I negotiate a scholarship if I did not receive one from a school ranked #25 - 30 with a Full-tuition scholarship from a school ranked between #50 - #70?

Here come the trolls!
You can try, but depending on the school, they might not care. It never hurts to ask (unless you are rude or ask twenty different times).

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:04 pm

I did. Got an extra 7k a year from my top 20 by just mentioning I was going to visit a TT school that was offering a near full ride.

TheBiggerMediocre

Bronze

Post by TheBiggerMediocre » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:15 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:I did. Got an extra 7k a year from my top 20 by just mentioning I was going to visit a TT school that was offering a near full ride.
im sure you had to do more than just mention it. though the risks do outweight the rewards. hmm maybe potential lawyers should have the ability to bluff without explicitly lying and if i do it they will just knock off another 10k. :mrgreen:

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:53 am

I literally just asked if it would jepordize my scholarship I already had to visit the school (the other school had a last minute stab in May to try and get me to come) since I had deposited already, and there were rules about what you can and can't do after being deposited. It was like 2 lines, I had a new offer, have not visited the school, is it alright if I go scholarship wise.

Later that day, 7k a year just magically opened up, and they wanted to give it to me. All worked out, because after visiting the other school, I wouldn't go there unless they paid me a stipend to. So I basically got paid 21k by them sending out that late scholarship attempt.

There is no risk, just ask politely, and give reasons why (long move, family reasons, Cost of Living) and you'd be surprised. I actually got 3 bumps from playing the game (but the last one was accidental) and ended up with 2.5x what my initial scholarship offer was.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”