Is it possible that I am stupider than I think I am? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
TheBiggerMediocre

Bronze

Is it possible that I am stupider than I think I am?

Post by TheBiggerMediocre » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:19 pm

I have been going to a top 500 college so I know I can't be that smart. I have a easy 3.6 taking mediocre classes. My point is am I vastly unprepared for getting into and going to law school?

I sometimes use free lecture videos to pass the time and I have seen that I would fail miserably if I were taking courses at a college like UC berkley for example I was just watching some random political science videos, even though I have already completed the major in my own college, and I saw that they actually use empirical and quantitative analysis there. I think I need to go to a real university for a couple of years before I can shoot for a top 30 law school. Currently I have 90 credits but 20 years old. I know several people in law schools ranked in the 80-50 range and they are on about the same level as I am.

All my friends go to similar colleges to what I go to and I have absolutely no idea what intellectual level people are on in Ivy league colleges. Do people in schools like that still go to law school? WTF is going on? I was in the 85% on the SAT, have I gotten dumber by going to a shitty college?
Last edited by TheBiggerMediocre on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Re: Is it possible that I am stupider than I think I am?

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:23 pm

Hahahahaha the schools will not distinguish your GPA at a Top 500 College (is that even a thing?) from the same GPA at any schools other than the super high ones (think HYP, MIT, Caltech). Take the LSAT, see how you do. Read some opinions in landmark cases and see how easily you can follow them. But honestly, you might have gotten dumber going to a shitty college - I had to spend some time at a community college for medical reasons and it took a whole summer before "real college" to get back into any intellectual mindset

Lock74

New

Post by Lock74 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:24 pm

I am roughly in the same situation and I would love to hear peoples opinions on this.

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:26 pm

What is the Top 500?

TheBiggerMediocre

Bronze

Post by TheBiggerMediocre » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:36 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:Hahahahaha the schools will not distinguish your GPA at a Top 500 College (is that even a thing?) from the same GPA at any schools other than the super high ones (think HYP, MIT, Caltech). Take the LSAT, see how you do. Read some opinions in landmark cases and see how easily you can follow them. But honestly, you might have gotten dumber going to a shitty college - I had to spend some time at a community college for medical reasons and it took a whole summer before "real college" to get back into any intellectual mindset
According to usnews my college is ranked somewhere in the low 400's nationally, obviously I know they won't care about what college I went to. I have read cases before and constructed briefs, I have pretty good reading and writing skills. I have no concept of using formulas or anything that might resemble math and i also possess no creativity, my strong suit is critical thinking and debating (politicking). I am definitely smarter than people going to 70-100 law schools I just want to know what distinguishes someone who goes to t15 and t30-40. It seems like the knowledge gap is large.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:39 pm

If you are a walking, talking human being who will end up in a school with people who scored within five LSAT points of you, the effort you put in is a lot more significant than raw intelligence. But as TLS always reminds people, don't go if you can only get into a TTT.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:40 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:What is the Top 500?
A joke

sainthawk29

New

Post by sainthawk29 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:42 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:Hahahahaha the schools will not distinguish your GPA at a Top 500 College (is that even a thing?) from the same GPA at any schools other than the super high ones (think HYP, MIT, Caltech). Take the LSAT, see how you do. Read some opinions in landmark cases and see how easily you can follow them. But honestly, you might have gotten dumber going to a shitty college - I had to spend some time at a community college for medical reasons and it took a whole summer before "real college" to get back into any intellectual mindset
Not to go into specifics but according to an admission officer at a law school i am applying too, they value GPA's differently depending on the undergrad institution. Example they gave me was someone that went to the local state school would 3.5 would be looked at as a 3.5. Whereas, a 3.5 from the private college i went to (one of the highest ranked colleges) would be looked at as a 3.7.

TheBiggerMediocre

Bronze

Post by TheBiggerMediocre » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:46 pm

delete
Last edited by TheBiggerMediocre on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheBiggerMediocre

Bronze

Post by TheBiggerMediocre » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:48 pm

sainthawk29 wrote:
Not to go into specifics but according to an admission officer at a law school i am applying too, they value GPA's differently depending on the undergrad institution. Example they gave me was someone that went to the local state school would 3.5 would be looked at as a 3.5. Whereas, a 3.5 from the private college i went to (one of the highest ranked colleges) would be looked at as a 3.7.
the problem is not my GPA the problem is my intelligence compared to 'ivy leaguer's'. I have friends who killed themselves to get into the low 160's. So i guess thats an accurate description of where I am headed but what separates those who get a 163 from those who get a 170. specifically how many IQ points does 8 percentiles represent?

bandenjamin

Bronze

Post by bandenjamin » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:48 pm

TheBiggerMediocre wrote:
sainthawk29 wrote:
the problem is not my GPA the problem is my intelligence compared to ivy.

TheBiggerMediocre

Bronze

Post by TheBiggerMediocre » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:49 pm

bandenjamin wrote:
TheBiggerMediocre wrote:
sainthawk29 wrote:
the problem is not my GPA the problem is my intelligence compared to ivy.
thanks for that. i don't know why i'm fucking with you guys I should just go ahead and take the test. being hungover isn't fun online

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:57 pm

guano wrote:
A joke
That's like a quarter of 4 year universities

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheBiggerMediocre

Bronze

Post by TheBiggerMediocre » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:00 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
guano wrote:
A joke
That's like a quarter of 4 year universities
yes thats exactly how i arrived at said conclusion

emciosn

Bronze

Post by emciosn » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:28 pm

I went to some no-name UG that is probably not even "top 500," got a 3.5, then got in to a top 20 law school based mostly (totally?) on my LSAT score. There are students in my class from other no-name UGs like me and a bunch of students that graduated from ivy league schools. I'm a 3L and have managed to make it into the top ~15% so I don't think any of your concerns are really things that you need to spend your time worry about. Just study and do your best on the LSAT--if you LSAT score is good enough to get in to a school you will do just fine there if you put in the work. If you do poorly it is probably more of a product of not doing the work than having some lower base intelligence than your classmates because you went to some ho-hum UG (as I did).

Just my $0.02

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:50 pm

Generally, thinking you might be stupid is a sign you're pretty intelligent. Only stupid people think they're smart.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:09 pm

There is a reason why law schools don't put much emphasis on what UG you went to. That is because UG admittance is a joke. High school classes (even AP/IB) are a joke. The SAT (which is a 2nd-6th grade level-math & 8th grade level-reading comprehension test) is also a joke.

What differentiates your school from your perceived notion of 'elite school' is work ethic--not intelligence.

Concentrate on that LSAT. Who cares what UG you went to. Just do good in it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

resilience99

Bronze

Post by resilience99 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:18 pm

does what UG school you attended impact OCI or job interviews. or do employers focus LS and experience?

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:19 pm

sainthawk29 wrote:
That adcomm lied to you.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:32 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
sainthawk29 wrote:
That adcomm lied to you.
I suppose that could be the case if the adcomm is comparing two candidates who are otherwise identical. But the school still has to report the high-ranked GPA as a 3.5 for USNWR, so a higher GPA from a lesser-regarded school will trump in almost all cases.

Arthur the Aardvark

New

Post by Arthur the Aardvark » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:26 pm

deleted

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheBiggerMediocre

Bronze

Post by TheBiggerMediocre » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:34 pm

emciosn wrote:I went to some no-name UG that is probably not even "top 500," got a 3.5, then got in to a top 20 law school based mostly (totally?) on my LSAT score. There are students in my class from other no-name UGs like me and a bunch of students that graduated from ivy league schools. I'm a 3L and have managed to make it into the top ~15% so I don't think any of your concerns are really things that you need to spend your time worry about. Just study and do your best on the LSAT--if you LSAT score is good enough to get in to a school you will do just fine there if you put in the work. If you do poorly it is probably more of a product of not doing the work than having some lower base intelligence than your classmates because you went to some ho-hum UG (as I did).

Just my $0.02
Thanks that does alleviate some stress. Also good for you. :wink:
cinephile wrote:Generally, thinking you might be stupid is a sign you're pretty intelligent. Only stupid people think they're smart.
Alright, I guess self doubt is praised in a time of general feelings of entitlement and overconfidence.
Dr. Dre wrote:There is a reason why law schools don't put much emphasis on what UG you went to. That is because UG admittance is a joke. High school classes (even AP/IB) are a joke. The SAT (which is a 2nd-6th grade level-math & 8th grade level-reading comprehension test) is also a joke.

What differentiates your school from your perceived notion of 'elite school' is work ethic--not intelligence.

Concentrate on that LSAT. Who cares what UG you went to. Just do good in it.
yes, but im not so sure about that
Ti Malice wrote:
sainthawk29 wrote:
That adcomm lied to you.
Well why not just go to one of those schools were if you show up you get an A?
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
sainthawk29 wrote:
That adcomm lied to you.
I suppose that could be the case if the adcomm is comparing two candidates who are otherwise identical. But the school still has to report the high-ranked GPA as a 3.5 for USNWR, so a higher GPA from a lesser-regarded school will trump in almost all cases.
makes sense from a business perspective and most law schools are in it for the money.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:49 pm

TheBiggerMediocre wrote:all law schools are in it for the money.
fixed

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:35 pm

TheBiggerMediocre wrote: Well why not just go to one of those schools were if you show up you get an A?
You know grade inflation is pretty rampant at "prestigious" universities, right?

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:50 pm

I attended a T6. Went to a mediocre state flagship. Had friends who went to community colleges and local state colleges (I guess "top 500") and did fine. The LSAT is the great equalizer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”