Why do you want to go to law school? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Hammystring

New

Why do you want to go to law school?

Post by Hammystring » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:44 pm

This isn't the first of its kind but I'm hoping it will go in a different direction.

Everyone seems to have a good reason NOT to go to law school (or at least, good reasons for the person they're posting under to not go to law school).

From the debt to the big law hours to the low chance one will even get big law to the low pay for PI to the low chance at a good PI to the absolute misery that is supposed to be law school, everyone is pretty good at talking others OUT of going to law school. Want to help people? Don't go to law school. Want to make a lot of money? Don't go to law school. It goes on and on and on.

So what brings you here to TLS? Why did you study for the LSAT? Why do you want to go to law school?

PDaddy

Gold

Re: Why do you want to go to law school?

Post by PDaddy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:13 pm

You have answered your own question OP. Law school is only for those people who, despite all of the potential negatives you cite, know in their hearts that being a lawyer is for them...that they have a passion for the law that only they can comprehend.

It's for those people who - despite knowing all that you mentioned - go to law school with their eyes open and still feel that the pain and suffering will all be worth it, not because of money (many lawyers are top-2%ers but are on the far low end) or prestige, but because they crave the law. Do what you have a passion for...whatever truly makes you happy, and you'll never work another day in your life.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:27 pm

Because other than becoming a famous musician or professional athlete, there's nothing else I'd rather be doing. Even if it means taking another year off for the next cycle. Again.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:37 pm

Because I wanted to be a lawyer :(

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:44 pm

It's a guaranteed 6 figure job. BigLaw is the easiest and least stressful out of all prestigious professions. It doesn't even matter where you go to Law School because a J.D. = lawyer = money.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hammystring

New

Post by Hammystring » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:54 pm

PDaddy wrote:You have answered your own question OP. Law school is only for those people who, despite all of the potential negatives you cite, know in their hearts that being a lawyer is for them...that they have a passion for the law that only they can comprehend.

It's for those people who - despite knowing all that you mentioned - go to law school with their eyes open and still feel that the pain and suffering will all be worth it, not because of money (many lawyers are top-2%ers but are on the far low end) or prestige, but because they crave the law. Do what you have a passion for...whatever truly makes you happy, and you'll never work another day in your life.

I appreciate this answer but how can anyone be so sure? Despite being K-JD, I've been working the past 8 years (the past 4 years, full-time) in a number of different law-related positions (private+public, paralegal+administrative, etc) (ALSO READ: By no means does this mean I'm an expert on the working world...just to get that out of the way). I can certainly say that I'd like to be a lawyer based off what I've seen...but by no means does this mean I have some type of BURNING DESIRE. It just seems like the next logical step towards being able to do what I [think] I'll enjoy doing. I read this forum and think, "is that enough?"

Enough about me...more about YOU ALL! Why do you want to go to law school?

(Again, appreciate your thoughtfulness, PDaddy)

Aawaldrop

Bronze

Post by Aawaldrop » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:55 pm

john7234797 wrote:It's a guaranteed 6 figure job. BigLaw is the easiest and least stressful out of all prestigious professions. It doesn't even matter where you go to Law School because a J.D. = lawyer = money.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:56 pm

Aawaldrop wrote:
john7234797 wrote:It's a guaranteed 6 figure job. BigLaw is the easiest and least stressful out of all prestigious professions. It doesn't even matter where you go to Law School because a J.D. = lawyer = money.
Damn.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:59 pm

Aawaldrop wrote:120
Cooley's LSAT floor?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:45 am

Because a law degree is useful in so many facets of the business world. the skills you learn and the contacts you make will serve you well no matter what kind of business you go into.

jeffgarlin

New

Post by jeffgarlin » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:17 am

Swimp wrote:Because a law degree is useful in so many facets of the business world. the skills you learn and the contacts you make will serve you well no matter what kind of business you go into.
lolz

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:19 am

I like money and bitches, and bitches with money

Beercules

Bronze

Post by Beercules » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:22 am

I'm a big fan of money. I like it, I use it, I have a little. I keep it in a jar on top of my refrigerator. I'd like to put more in that jar. That's where being a lawyer comes in.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bchirco

New

Post by bchirco » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:25 pm

In all honesty, after working in a law firm for many years, being a creative driver of solutions for clients in the field of law resonates with me. I am aware of the shitty job prospects, soul-crushing debt, and the horrible experience that people endure should they actually achieve big law; but I don't care. I want to practice law and I would do it for $40k a year because I think I would look forward going into work each day. Fuck these gap jobs, they're for people who don't want to roll the dice on their dreams! And brother, it is a dice roll no matter what school you go to. If each potential law student understood, acknowledged, and confronted that fact I think 90% would flee.

Anyway, that's just my reasoning.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:49 pm

After reflecting on my strengths, interests, and career goals, I was torn between academia and law school. I tried being a graduate student and didn't like it. I tried being a paralegal and liked it.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:00 pm

Self hate

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:19 pm

Cuz I gots to protect the internets from abysmal policy changes for future generations

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Volake

New

Post by Volake » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:26 am

Because the government wouldn't subsidize loans for me to take more reasonable wagers in Las Vegas.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:31 am

PDaddy wrote:You have answered your own question OP. Law school is only for those people who, despite all of the potential negatives you cite, know in their hearts that being a lawyer is for them...that they have a passion for the law that only they can comprehend.

^was this whole post written ironically or in a serious tone? I honestly can't tell.

But really? Law school is only for those people who know in their heart of hearts that being a lawyer is for them as they have a passion for the law? Dang, guess I'm out of luck. I'm becoming a lawyer because it provides a certain lifestyle I would like for my family and is a profession that I find interesting. That's pretty much it. It is a job to me -- a job to support my family that, while not my passion, is something I could see myself wanting to do 10, 20 yrs down the road...and find sufficiently fulfilling. But by no means do I crave the law lol.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:33 am

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:34 am

Swimp wrote:Because a law degree is useful in so many facets of the business world. the skills you learn and the contacts you make will serve you well no matter what kind of business you go into.
I've been away from TLS for too long. I honestly can't tell who is being serious anymore and who is simply speaking sarcastically/ironically...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Davidbentley

Bronze

Post by Davidbentley » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:40 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
I've been away from TLS for too long. I honestly can't tell who is being serious anymore and who is simply speaking sarcastically/ironically...
Welcome back, friend.

I'd like to be a lawyer, I don't know why. I'm fairly unstable.

holmesboy

New

Post by holmesboy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:07 am

Beercules wrote:I'm a big fan of money. I like it, I use it, I have a little. I keep it in a jar on top of my refrigerator. I'd like to put more in that jar. That's where being a lawyer comes in.
Well played, sir. Well played.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:07 am

Aawaldrop wrote:
john7234797 wrote:It's a guarantee of 6 figure job NOTHING GUARANTEED except for RISK. BigLaw is the easiest MOST DIFFICULT and least MOST stressful out of all prestigious professions. It doesn't even matter where you go to Law School because a J.D. = lawyer UNCERTAINTY = money POTENTIAL MISERY.
In its original form X = 120
In its original form X < 120/180 actually...

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:11 am

holmesboy wrote:
Beercules wrote:I'm a big fan of money. I like it, I use it, I have a little. I keep it in a jar on top of my refrigerator. I'd like to put more in that jar. That's where being a lawyer comes in.
Well played, sir. Well played.
Why not go into hedge funds management or investment banking? Being a lawyer doesn't guarantee wealth at all. A top lawyer's salary at equity partner is between $400k and $1M per year. An investment banker can make 10 times that range in a year.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”