Why I might just go to a CRAP school Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Misdirected

New

Why I might just go to a CRAP school

Post by Misdirected » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:19 pm

Even though my gpa issue (which I won't elaborate on here) may preclude me from a T14 or T2 school, I was thinking that I might just go to a crappy but cheap school even if I could get into Harvard,

Here is my argument.

If I get into a T14 getting a high paying job would require I graduate pretty high up in my class. Campos calls this a stupid gamble, I agree. Too many ifs.

If I do get the gravy train after graduation, I am stuck working 80+ hours a week for great pay I can't enjoy because I'm working.

Much of that big money will go to my 100-200k debt.

A crap ABA still gets me licensed.

If I don't want to work for a big law firm but instead open my own office, it works. Who cares where I went? Most of my clients won't even notice.

The crap schools I'm looking at are MUCH cheaper, 60k after graduation instead of 200k, that is a serious difference. With my current debt, getting loans may be my biggest barrier.

My Brooklyn brownstone used to have an office on the first floor. And wouldn't you know it, it was a successful lawyer's office. Mainly landlord tenant and he also did general practice, anything from gun permits (great in NYC as there is only one other lawyer dedicated to that field) civil lit and a hodge podge of other things. He did well for himself until he retired and moved to California.

I'm not interested in saving the world, or in being perry mason, or working for Bendini Lambert and Locke, I just want a solid career and a challenging one. I also want to do something meaningful with my life.

I could always run my office from my home. It would be comfortable, Inexpensive, and possibly lucrative. A better gamble than hoping I get all As and picked up by a BL firm.

Emma.

Gold

Re: Why I might just go to a CRAP school

Post by Emma. » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:21 pm

cool.

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:22 pm

I think your username pretty much says it all.

holmesboy

New

Post by holmesboy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:22 pm

story.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:22 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:I think your username pretty much says it all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

law2015

Bronze

Post by law2015 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:26 pm

LMAO!!! sounds like a solid plan.

Misdirected

New

Post by Misdirected » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:27 pm

A lot of smug douchebags here I see.

So no real arguments, just BS one liners? I'd love to see you guys with the 200k debt and subpar LS grades struggling to get that dream job.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:28 pm

You have read Campos' book and this is your conclusion?

Maybe you should look into how supersaturated the law market is in NYC. How much do you honestly think you will earn working out of your apartment?
And maybe only one person works on gun permits, which I doubt, because the forms are easy to fill out yourself?

I don't mean to be rude but I think you have serious problems with logical thinking.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:30 pm

blurbz wrote:
RodneyRuxin wrote:I think your username pretty much says it all.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:33 pm

holmesboy wrote:story.
We tried.

Misdirected

New

Post by Misdirected » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:37 pm

NYstate wrote:You have read Campos' book and this is your conclusion?

Maybe you should look into how supersaturated the law market is in NYC. How much do you honestly think you will earn working out of your apartment?
And maybe only one person works on gun permits, which I doubt, because the forms are easy to fill out yourself?

I don't mean to be rude but I think you have serious problems with logical thinking.
I said there is one lawyer dedicated to that in NYC, meaning that is ALL he does. There are other lawyers who do it, most are criminal lawyers who will do the work for you. Is it easy? You must not be from NYC. It is extremely complicated and full if trick questions, a lawyer is recommended even for premiss permits, and practically required if you want the rare carry permit. The forms are not the only part, there are also 3 interviews at 1 police plaza and the only person who can go with you is a licensed attorney. So yeah, it is a pretty solid business, the lawyer I mentioned charges $700 per visit to 1 police plaza, and a 3500 retainer to start the process. 3 visits are minimum, you may be asked to return. Oh,and you need to renew every 5 years.

Pistol permit applications have risen in the last 5 years there are now 3 times as many applications submitted, most are denied, money either way.

Lastly, if I'm making a modest income but my debt is only 60k vs 200k, that more than evens things out. Not to mention we're working under the assumption that you get hired at all after law school which is becoming tougher and tougher.

You're arguing for giving up 3 years of your life, 200k in debt for the off chance you make it to the top 10% of your class. 3 years 200k for a 10% roll of the dice. Yeah, I'm the one not thinking logically.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:44 pm

Misdirected wrote:
NYstate wrote:You have read Campos' book and this is your conclusion?

I said there is one lawyer dedicated to that in NYC, meaning that is ALL he does. There are other lawyers who do it, most are criminal lawyers who will do the work for you. Is it easy? You must not be from NYC. It is extremely complicated and full if trick questions, a lawyer is recommended even for premiss permits, and practically required if you want the rare carry permit. The forms are not the only part, there are also 3 interviews at 1 police plaza and the only person who can go with you is a licensed attorney. So yeah, it is a pretty solid business, the lawyer I mentioned charges $700 per visit to 1 police plaza, and a 3500 retainer to start the process. 3 visits are minimum, you may be asked to return. Oh,and you need to renew every 5 years.

Lastly, if I'm making a modest income but my debt is only 60k vs 200k, that more than evens things out. Not to mention we're working never the assumption that you get hired at all after law school which is becoming tougher and tougher.

You're arguing for giving up 3 years of your life, 200k in debt for the off chance you make it to the top 10% of your class. 3 years 200k for a 10% roll of the dice. Yeah, I'm the one not thinking logically.
Actually I have lived in NYC all my life. I have never known anyone who had a gun, though, so that may be why I am unfamiliar with the process. I'm not arguing for taking on 200k of debt, I'm suggesting you re read all that Campos has to say as well as check the saturation of small law firms in NYC.

I don't know any law school that charges so little, maybe you are thinking of CUNY?

The Association of the City of the Bar of New York is at 42 W.44th street. They may have some programs for solo practitioners that you might find interesting.

I don't think you came here for advice, you just came for an argument. So do what you want.

J-e-L-L-o

Bronze

Post by J-e-L-L-o » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:45 pm

or go to a community college and get an associates in Accounting that will cost you about 3k.

Profit

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Misdirected

New

Post by Misdirected » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:54 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:or go to a community college and get an associates in Accounting that will cost you about 3k.

Profit
Or a degree in pimpology and put your mother back on the streets. Profit. A small one, but still profit. She only needs hot pockets and tang and she is back out on the street.

Gunnar Stahl

Silver

Post by Gunnar Stahl » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:22 pm

Misdirected wrote: Or a degree in pimpology and put your mother back on the streets. Profit. A small one, but still profit. She only needs hot pockets and tang and she is back out on the street.
lol wtf

Ave

Bronze

Post by Ave » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 pm

Misdirected wrote:I just want a solid career and a challenging one. I also want to do something meaningful with my life.
I don't think you can say this and then proceed to use pistol permits as a great example for what you can do after graduating from a "crap ABA." Also, if your hostility is any indication, IF you do go into pistol permit, you will probably get your clients rejected more often than not.

Perhaps another career.

Misdirected

New

Post by Misdirected » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:52 pm

Ave wrote:
Misdirected wrote:I just want a solid career and a challenging one. I also want to do something meaningful with my life.
I don't think you can say this and then proceed to use pistol permits as a great example for what you can do after graduating from a "crap ABA." Also, if your hostility is any indication, IF you do go into pistol permit, you will probably get your clients rejected more often than not.

Perhaps another career.
Helping New Yorkers get through a draconian system so they can defend themselves in a large city isn't meaningful? I guess being an NRA life member and life long New Yorker gives me a different perspective. I would even work for a conservative think tank low pay or not. I wouldn't want to spend my life helping dirt bags get out of jail, or deadbeats who didn't pay their rent. Usually people who want meaning in their career want to be a poor "do gooder" who helps bad people. Not really my bag.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:56 pm

167 flame

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:45 pm

Ghost93 wrote:
Misdirected wrote: Or a degree in pimpology and put your mother back on the streets. Profit. A small one, but still profit. She only needs hot pockets and tang and she is back out on the street.
lol wtf
rad lulz wrote:167 flame

Davidbentley

Bronze

Post by Davidbentley » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:48 pm

rad lulz wrote:167 flame
Generous. -14 Curve?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:35 pm

Your insistence on the wisdom of attending a TTTT doesn't have anything to do with this, does it?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8#p6531034

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

J-e-L-L-o

Bronze

Post by J-e-L-L-o » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:40 am

Misdirected wrote:
J-e-L-L-o wrote:or go to a community college and get an associates in Accounting that will cost you about 3k.

Profit
Or a degree in pimpology and put your mother back on the streets. Profit. A small one, but still profit. She only needs hot pockets and tang and she is back out on the street.
+1 Fucking Eighty

holmesboy

New

Post by holmesboy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:05 am

Emma. wrote:
holmesboy wrote:story.
We tried.
I think we'll get it next time.

stuckinthemiddle

Bronze

Post by stuckinthemiddle » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:09 am

Do not go to law school with your GPA. Sorry, but no matter where you go, the odds will be very much against you.

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:49 am

Misdirected wrote: You're arguing for giving up 3 years of your life, 200k in debt for the off chance you make it to the top 10% of your class. 3 years 200k for a 10% roll of the dice. Yeah, I'm the one not thinking logically.

No one here believes even a t14 is a sure bet, but 10%? Have you done any research?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”