Listing Acceptances on Resume for Application Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
GoodTimes

New

Listing Acceptances on Resume for Application

Post by GoodTimes » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:56 pm

I'm about to send in my last law application, I already have a handful of acceptances and scholarships, and I was wondering whether it would be a bad idea to include on my resume a few particularly prestigious acceptances and scholarships I have received. This is a very good school I am applying to, better than my acceptances so far, so I highly doubt that the school will think I may pick one of my other options over it (especially since I wouldn't be applying to it at this point in the game if it wasn't my 1st choice). I can see how this is a bad idea - it may be viewed as very unusual to put law school acceptances as an item on a law school application, they may think it is uninformative and redundant, suggestive that I don't think they are fully capable of evaluating my application, and perhaps it is insulting to think they will be swayed by what a few excellent schools' admissions committees thought of my app.

Nevertheless, I really do have some prestigious scholarships and acceptances that may convince them that they are missing out if they reject me.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thank you for any advice!

mephistopheles

Gold

Re: Listing Acceptances on Resume for Application

Post by mephistopheles » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:56 pm

ridiculous.

GoodTimes

New

Post by GoodTimes » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:58 pm

mephistopheles wrote:ridiculous.
That isn't helpful at all.

Of course, that may not have been your intent.

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:59 pm

Are you an idiot? No school that hasn't accepted you yet cares where else you got accepted.

I'm glad you "can see how this is a bad idea." That's quite the understatement. It's borderline retarded.

Edit: I'm also curious what you consider so "prestigious" that it will just impress the pants off some adcomm and make them mail you an offer just as fast as they can lick the envelope. I'm hoping it's something like a Rubenstein or a Hamilton and you're not just delusional.
Last edited by Haymarket on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:02 am

In theory, this should have worked.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

law2015

Bronze

Post by law2015 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:03 am

There are a lot of retarded posts on TLS. I hope you are trolling.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:04 am

I highly suggest you do this. I've heard that schools DROOL over preftigious acceptances.

GoodTimes

New

Post by GoodTimes » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:04 am

Haymarket wrote:Are you an idiot? No school that hasn't accepted you yet cares where else you got accepted.

I'm glad you "can see how this is a bad idea." That's quite the understatement. It's borderline retarded.

Edit: I'm also curious what you consider so "prestigious" that it will just impress the pants off some adcomm and make them mail you an offer just as fast as they can lick the envelope. I'm hoping it's something like a Rubenstein or a Hamilton and you're not just delusional.
Maybe both. Your attitude is definitely not making me want to attend UChicago.

Not sure why you have to be so rude. I was just asking for advice. You didn't even explain why a school would not be interested in other acceptances and scholarships. Why wouldn't they be?

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:06 am

GoodTimes wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:ridiculous.
That isn't helpful at all.

Of course, that may not have been your intent.

i meant ridiculous that you even had to ask.

shit, i put my undergrad acceptances on there, too. it had schools accepting me in droves.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:08 am

GoodTimes wrote: You didn't even explain why a school would not be interested in other acceptances and scholarships. Why wouldn't they be?
All right, I'll bite.

Play out a scenario for me where you put those on and this makes the adcomm want to admit you even more. No, seriously. I want to know.

Put aside the fact that it indicates that you're socially retarded.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:09 am

Lulz. If your last app is to Yale, then please, please do this. They are certain to be very impressed.

GoodTimes

New

Post by GoodTimes » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:14 am

Haymarket wrote:
GoodTimes wrote: You didn't even explain why a school would not be interested in other acceptances and scholarships. Why wouldn't they be?
All right, I'll bite.

Play out a scenario for me where you put those on and this makes the adcomm want to admit you even more. No, seriously. I want to know.

It would just be one line on a resume. Not a huge deal at all. You have yet to actually say why it is a bad idea other than the fact schools wouldn't care. Assuming they wouldn't, I fail to see how it indicates I'm socially retarded.

Is going online insulting people really how you choose to spend your time? I genuinely hope you are an outlier at UChicago.

Regardless, even if this is a terrible idea, which there seems to be a consensus about, at least I asked before I did it (because I thought many may view it that way, although if I worked in admissions I may think it a useful and beneficial piece of information to include), and don't get off insulting people anonymously on the internet. Do you not care at all about being a kind person?

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:17 am

GoodTimes wrote:
Haymarket wrote:
All right, I'll bite.

It would just be one line on a resume. Not a huge deal at all. You have yet to actually say why it is a bad idea other than the fact schools wouldn't care. Assuming they wouldn't, I fail to see how it indicates I'm socially retarded.

Is going online insulting people really how you choose to spend your time? I genuinely hope you are an outlier at UChicago.

Regardless, even if this is a terrible idea, which there seems to be a consensus about, at least I asked before I did it (because I thought many may view it that way, although if I worked in admissions I may think it a useful and beneficial piece of information to include), and don't just insult people for no reason. Do you not care at all about being a kind person?
The fact that you had to ask this suggests you are totally tone deaf to social cues/norms.

Resumes are for your achievements. In the context of a law school app, the other schools that have chosen to admit you in not an achievement (I'm not actually sure there's any context where anything but the school where you eventually matriculate would be an achievement.

And yes, it is ridiculous and borderline offensive to suggest that admissions staff with their own procedures and criteria should care at all where else you've been admitted. If you are at all a contender at the school they'll probably assume you've been admitted to their peer schools without you bragging about it.
Last edited by Emma. on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GoodTimes

New

Post by GoodTimes » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:18 am

Emma. wrote:Lulz. If your last app is to Yale, then please, please do this. They are certain to be very impressed.
Are they also impressed by people who rack up 3,000 posts on law school application website? People who graduate from law school and still go back to the site to talk shit to people who sincerely ask for advice on law applications?

Oh, you also go to UChicago? I'm not going to give up on the school over this, but I'm really not sure who you are trying to impress (yourself?).

GoodTimes

New

Post by GoodTimes » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:21 am

Emma. wrote: The fact that you had to ask this suggests you are totally tone deaf to social cues/norms.
I don't really see how. I've never heard this question asked by anyone, because most people tend to apply around the same time, whereas I have spread out my applications.

Regardless, I get the picture and won't do it. This thread was informative in other ways as well.

Thanks.

Teflon_Don

Bronze

Post by Teflon_Don » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:22 am

Emma. wrote:
GoodTimes wrote:
Haymarket wrote:
All right, I'll bite.

Regardless, even if this is a terrible idea, which there seems to be a consensus about, at least I asked before I did it (because I thought many may view it that way, although if I worked in admissions I may think it a useful and beneficial piece of information to include), and don't just insult people for no reason. Do you not care at all about being a kind person?
The fact that you had to ask this suggests you are totally tone deaf to social cues/norms.
You're a dirty, dirty bitch.

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:22 am

Emma. wrote: The fact that you had to ask this suggests you are totally tone deaf to social cues/norms.
Oh man.

I'm still waiting for something like the thought process of an adcomm when they see this information and how it makes them want to admit you more?

Let me see if I can paint you a picture with my imagination brush. You're an average guy looking for a date to the prom. A pretty nice and attractive young man/lady tells you that they might be willing to go with you, but you need to ask them. Oh, and by the way, they've also already been asked by three other very popular people who promised to take them in their dad's jag and give them free booze. But who knows, you should probably still put yourself out there and ask right? I mean, they seriously might go with you, right? And they definitely don't seem like a total asshole for telling you about all their other offers, right?

Moron.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:24 am

GoodTimes wrote:
Haymarket wrote:
All right, I'll bite.

Regardless, even if this is a terrible idea, which there seems to be a consensus about, at least I asked before I did it (because I thought many may view it that way, although if I worked in admissions I may think it a useful and beneficial piece of information to include), and don't get off insulting people anonymously on the internet. Do you not care at all about being a kind person?
Have you never used an internet forum before? People have much shorter leashes online than irl; this is par for the course. Listing these things isn't going to help you in any way. Acceptances are not a standard thing to put on an application, and if you're adding something that isn't conventional there better be a damn good reason for it, or you are just wasting adcomms' time. This is something totally outside of the social norm, like writing poetry in your PS. It's not going to look good at all.

If you really want to do something that's good for yourself you should quit being so hypersensitive when other people don't treat you like the special snowflake you think you are.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:24 am

It comes off as manipulative, like you're trying to push the Committee towards a positive reading of your application. Until you have an acceptance, you are not on equal footing with these schools; they still have something that you want and that power dynamic is very clearly defined. Crossing that boundary -- even slightly -- raises questions about your ability to understand and conform to these power relationships. Once you have an acceptance and you're in the negotiation stage, you can consider forwarding on your other offers. Sending your other offers along with your application also smacks of arrogance; you should instead aim to present yourself in a confident, dignified manner.

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:24 am

GoodTimes wrote:I've never heard this question asked by anyone, because most people tend to apply around the same time, whereas I have spread out my applications.
Thanks.
LOL. Really? You think that's the reason this hasn't been asked? REALLY?

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:29 am

You have good reasoning... I'd do it

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:32 am

GoodTimes wrote:
Emma. wrote:Lulz. If your last app is to Yale, then please, please do this. They are certain to be very impressed.
Are they also impressed by people who rack up 3,000 posts on law school application website? People who graduate from law school and still go back to the site to talk shit to people who sincerely ask for advice on law applications?

Oh, you also go to UChicago? I'm not going to give up on the school over this, but I'm really not sure who you are trying to impress (yourself?).
I could give you a serious answer about how TLS actually gets a lot of its value from the fact that it isn't just 0Ls. But instead...

--ImageRemoved--

And yeah, Chicago might be a bad choice for you.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:33 am

Desert Fox wrote:In theory, this should have worked.
:lol: :lol:

clone22

Bronze

Post by clone22 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:34 am

nothing to lose. do it, and check in with the result. thanks

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:34 am

GoodTimes wrote:

Some of my acceptance letters specifically referenced my post count on TLS when they talked about how amazing I am.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”