Listing Acceptances on Resume for Application Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
the lantern

Bronze

Re: Listing Acceptances on Resume for Application

Post by the lantern » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:35 am

i am now dumber for having read this asinine thread in the first place.

GoodTimes

New

Post by GoodTimes » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:39 am

banjo wrote: Sending your other offers along with your application also smacks of arrogance; you should instead aim to present yourself in a confident, dignified manner.
Appreciate the help. I doubt that listing acceptances would smack of arrogance, while listing every other thing you have done (like service work - purportedly selfless and not a stepping stone to a lucrative job) does not.
Crowing wrote:
Have you never used an internet forum before? People have much shorter leashes online than irl; this is par for the course.
So? There are human beings posting these comments, and just because it is a norm does not mean it is right.
Crowing wrote: Listing these things isn't going to help you in any way. Acceptances are not a standard thing to put on an application, and if you're adding something that isn't conventional there better be a damn good reason for it, or you are just wasting adcomms' time.
I doubt the problem with a question whether to list one line on a resume is that it will waste time.
Crowing wrote: If you really want to do something that's good for yourself you should quit being so hypersensitive when other people don't treat you like the special snowflake you think you are.
That is a faulty interpretation of the situation. I require no special treatment, and if this is par for the course, then that is shameful. I asked a sincere question and have been insulted for it, while the best response that has been generated it that it isn't conventional. I merely suggest that people not act so incredibly hostile on a forum that is there for the purpose of helping people with law applications. If your goal is to ridicule, I fail to see what you are doing on a board like this.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:42 am

GoodTimes wrote: ... a forum that is there for the purpose of helping people with law applications. If your goal is to ridicule, I fail to see what you are doing on a board like this.
Someone really doesn't understand this site at all.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:45 am

So? There are human beings posting these comments, and just because it is a norm does not mean it is right.
What ivory tower did you grow up in? I've lived in multiple countries, moved every two years growing up, and went to two different undergrads. Guess what? Human beings are like this. Get used to it.

This isn't kindergarten bro. There are such things as stupid questions, though I guess I can't really fault you because it appears that you are so socially inept that you legitimately don't understand why what you asked is ridiculous. Frankly, it would be a rather offensive thing to do. But none of us can cure your 'Burgers if you really can't understand this.

But really if you still think it's a good idea then go ahead and do it. None of us are invested in your success; if you don't want to believe what everybody ITT has already said (whether seriously or sarcastically) then by all means carry on.

GoodTimes

New

Post by GoodTimes » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:46 am

Emma. wrote:
I could give you a serious answer about how TLS actually gets a lot of its value from the fact that it isn't just 0Ls. But instead...

And yeah, Chicago might be a bad choice for you.
It may get value from the fact that law students and graduates post on the site, but if you respond to all users who have ideas you think are bad this way, I doubt you are part of that contribution.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:47 am

OP,

The fact that everyone giving you a reply in this thread has thought this is a terrible idea should be revealing. You can do whatever you want to do, but now you know a lot of posters on an online forum think that your idea is horrible. The decision is still yours though.

(For the record, I also think this is a horrible idea.)

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:50 am

GoodTimes wrote:
Emma. wrote:
I could give you a serious answer about how TLS actually gets a lot of its value from the fact that it isn't just 0Ls. But instead...

It may get value from the fact that law students and graduates post on the site, but if you respond to all users who have ideas you think are bad this way, I doubt you are part of that contribution.
There's actually a decent argument for a market that relentlessly insults/shames the bad ideas/beliefs being better than a market that tolerates those types of ideas.

GoodTimes

New

Post by GoodTimes » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:51 am

Crowing wrote:
What ivory tower did you grow up in? I've lived in multiple countries, moved every two years growing up, and went to two different undergrads. Guess what? Human beings are like this. Get used to it.
This is a rather egregious case of the naturalistic fallacy, along with some completely irrelevant information at the beginning.
Crowing wrote: This isn't kindergarten bro. There are such things as stupid questions, though I guess I can't really fault you because it appears that you are so socially inept that you legitimately don't understand why what you asked is ridiculous. Frankly, it would be a rather offensive thing to do. But none of us can cure your 'Burgers if you really can't understand this.

But really if you still think it's a good idea then go ahead and do it. None of us are invested in your success; if you don't want to believe what everybody ITT has already said (whether seriously or sarcastically) then by all means carry on.
Where did I say it was a good idea? The reason I made the thread was because I wasn't sure. The ad hominems are just unnecessary and I did nothing to deserve them.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:52 am

GoodTimes wrote:
Emma. wrote:

Let me put this more bluntly. If I asked you if it was a good idea to piss on my application before mailing it in, you would think that that idea is so horrible that you can't even comprehend why I would seriously suggest it, right? You would probably feel like it is unnecessary to even explain why that's an awful idea. Well, this is a similar situation, except apparently you don't have the internal cues that make it seem so bad like the rest of us do.

Emma is actually a very helpful poster. When you have this many people ridiculing you, isn't it time to stop for a second and at least entertain the idea that maybe you have done something to bring this upon yourself rather than continuing to be hyperdefensive?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:52 am

GoodTimes wrote:
Crowing wrote:
This is a rather egregious case of the naturalistic fallacy, along with some completely irrelevant information at the beginning.
Crowing wrote: This isn't kindergarten bro. There are such things as stupid questions, though I guess I can't really fault you because it appears that you are so socially inept that you legitimately don't understand why what you asked is ridiculous. Frankly, it would be a rather offensive thing to do. But none of us can cure your 'Burgers if you really can't understand this.

Where did I say it was a good idea? The reason I made the thread was because I wasn't sure. The ad hominems are just unnecessary and I did nothing to deserve them.
Lol okay well done sir. I didn't catch the flame at first, but this was the necessary tip-off. Carry on.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:53 am

GoodTimes wrote:
Emma. wrote:

Meh. Read my post history. Though I certainly don't claim to be one of the ones that adds any value around here.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:54 am

I'm always amused by people who choose post count to ridicule people for. I've always found that, on a forum, I'm much more inclined to listen to people with a higher post count than lower. Not mock them.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:56 am

This thread sucks and is now about vuvuzelas.

--ImageRemoved--

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GoodTimes

New

Post by GoodTimes » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:56 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
GoodTimes wrote:
Emma. wrote:

There's actually a decent argument for a market that relentlessly insults/shames the bad ideas/beliefs being better than a market that tolerates those types of ideas.
Well, I made the post to have a good reason put forward that my idea was a bad one. The one that it is not socially conventional satisfies that - although I fail to see how it is a big deal to break social conventions on occasion, apparently all hell would break loose if I did it on my application, judging by the reactions of individuals on this board. Some arguments put forth have been bad ones, which is odd considering how ridiculous and stupid the idea supposedly is.

Also, I agree that insults and shaming can be effective at getting people to conform and change their opinions, but not for the right reasons, and that is an easy rationalization for people who just enjoy insulting other people on the internet. I would have been swayed by evidence and argumentation, and that should be the first go to.

Shmoopy

Bronze

Post by Shmoopy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:57 am

GoodTimes wrote:
banjo wrote: Sending your other offers along with your application also smacks of arrogance; you should instead aim to present yourself in a confident, dignified manner.
Appreciate the help. I doubt that listing acceptances would smack of arrogance, while listing every other thing you have done (like service work - purportedly selfless and not a stepping stone to a lucrative job) does not.
You don't understand the purpose of a resume. The goal is to show experiences and skills you've had in a detailed way, and also to give a general timeline of your professional life. Acceptance to another law school is not an experience or a skill, and the adcoms reading your application obviously know that you are applying to law school. It's probably true that a lot of people do service work for selfish reasons, but they list it on their resumes to describe the tasks they performed and the competencies they demonstrated. If you think that the point of putting service work on your resume is to get a +1 for being a person of good character or whatever, then you have no idea how employment works. That last part makes sense though, since you described service work as a "stepping stone" to a lucrative job. Yes, all the Ivy League frat bros are working at Meals on Wheels to get a leg up on the competition...

What is the purpose of showing your other acceptances to schools? Do you think it makes you look desirable? It makes you look like a pompous douche.... and if you are going to get bent out of shape and not listen when people tell you this, then you might actually be a pompous douche. Do whatever you want, but you asked -- it's a bad idea. People have given you substantive reasons in this thread.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:58 am

Crowing wrote:
Lol okay well done sir. I didn't catch the flame at first, but this was the necessary tip-off. Carry on.
:shock:

:oops:

--ImageRemoved--

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:00 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

GoodTimes

New

Post by GoodTimes » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:01 am

kalvano wrote:I'm always amused by people who choose post count to ridicule people for. I've always found that, on a forum, I'm much more inclined to listen to people with a higher post count than lower. Not mock them.
I suspect post count is a decent indicator of knowledge about law schools on this board, but my remark was not about that. It was the suggestion that spending days and days shitting on users on this board may, in fact, not be a very good use of one's time, even if one continues to learn about the law application process (long after one has graduated...). I've had a very successful application cycle and have not used this forum much at all.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:02 am

GoodTimes wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
GoodTimes wrote:
Emma. wrote:

Well, I made the post to have a good reason put forward that my idea was a bad one. The one that it is not socially conventional satisfies that - although I fail to see how it is a big deal to break social conventions on occasion, apparently all hell would break loose if I did it on my application, judging by the reactions of individuals on this board. Some arguments put forth have been bad ones, which is odd considering how ridiculous and stupid the idea supposedly is.

Also, I agree that insults and shaming can be effective at getting people to conform and change their opinions, but not for the right reasons, and that is an easy rationalization for people who just enjoy insulting other people on the internet. I would have been swayed by evidence and argumentation, and that should be the first go to.
It's a bad enough idea that people don't really care about having an argument about why it's a bad idea, because it feels like such a dumb argument to have. The short answer has already been given: it makes you look socially retarded. (You are deluding yourself if you think it's merely "breaking social convention.") It makes you seem socially retarded because it's not an accomplishment (something else that has already been said in this thread). Are you going to put job offers at places where you never ended up working? When you are applying to firms in law school, will you mention in your cover letter what other firms have given you offers for the summer?

It boils down to it's such an awkward thing to put on your resume that if I read that on someone's resume, I would assume they're socially awkward for not realizing that putting acceptances on your resume is poor judgment. And schools have a reason to stay away from people who are too socially awkward, because those are the people who strike out at OCI.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:04 am

GoodTimes wrote:
kalvano wrote:I'm always amused by people who choose post count to ridicule people for. I've always found that, on a forum, I'm much more inclined to listen to people with a higher post count than lower. Not mock them.
I suspect post count is a decent indicator of knowledge about law schools on this board, but my remark was not about that. It was the suggestion that spending days and days shitting on users on this board may, in fact, not be a very good use of one's time, even if one continues to learn about the law application process (long after one has graduated...). I've had a very successful application cycle and have not used this forum much at all.
Yet here you are, dragged down to our level.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:06 am

Desert Fox wrote:
GoodTimes wrote:
Yet here you are, dragged down to our level.
:lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GoodTimes

New

Post by GoodTimes » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:06 am

Shmoopy wrote:
You don't understand the purpose of a resume. The goal is to show experiences and skills you've had in a detailed way, and also to give a general timeline of your professional life. Acceptance to another law school is not an experience or a skill, and the adcoms reading your application obviously know that you are applying to law school. It's probably true that a lot of people do service work for selfish reasons, but they list it on their resumes to describe the tasks they performed and the competencies they demonstrated. If you think that the point of putting service work on your resume is to get a +1 for being a person of good character or whatever, then you have no idea how employment works. That last part makes sense though, since you described service work as a "stepping stone" to a lucrative job. Yes, all the Ivy League frat bros are working at Meals on Wheels to get a leg up on the competition...

What is the purpose of showing your other acceptances to schools? Do you think it makes you look desirable? It makes you look like a pompous douche.... and if you are going to get bent out of shape and not listen when people tell you this, then you might actually be a pompous douche. Do whatever you want, but you asked -- it's a bad idea. People have given you substantive reasons in this thread.
How did I not listen when people told me this was a bad idea? I have conceded the point already. The reaction to the OP was an overreaction. You can say it is a bad idea without getting off to your superior intelligence. Amazing how no one thinks this is a problem but everyone thinks asking a question on a law application question board is.

By the way, your post is the best critique of the idea so far. Thank you.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:08 am

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:09 am

ITT: OP proves that UChi's new interview policy doesn't work.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:11 am

Emma. wrote:ITT: OP proves that UChi's new interview policy doesn't work.
Twist: U of C adcomms are actually just as aspie as applicants

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”