If law school were only 2 years... Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Spritzpiggy

Bronze

If law school were only 2 years...

Post by Spritzpiggy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:04 pm

http://www.abajournal.com/mobile/articl ... _idea_now/

So, being an optimist, let's say the ABA really did allow law school to be reduced to a two year program. For speculations sake - What would be the first class eligible for this? It would suck to spend an extra $50k plus COL and interest for 3L if that would be unnecessary for the following class. Since they're submitting the proposal (whatever it is) in February 2014 anyone crazy enough to consider deferring a year for possible savings?

Also, any cons to taking out 3L? I love the idea, but that's because I'm a debt-averse 0L. Anyone actually think the ABA will be brave enough to trim the 3L fat from law school?

Br3v

Gold

Re: If law school were only 2 years...

Post by Br3v » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:10 pm

Spritzpiggy wrote:http://www.abajournal.com/mobile/articl ... _idea_now/

So, being an optimist, let's say the ABA really did allow law school to be reduced to a two year program. For speculations sake - What would be the first class eligible for this? It would suck to spend an extra $50k plus COL and interest for 3L if that would be unnecessary for the following class. Since they're submitting the proposal (whatever it is) in February 2014 anyone crazy enough to consider deferring a year for possible savings?

Also, any cons to taking out 3L? I love the idea, but that's because I'm a debt-averse 0L. Anyone actually think the ABA will be brave enough to trim the 3L fat from law school?
I imagine law school will be 3 years for a long time to come.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:11 pm

Likely won't happen. If it did, we'd lost nothing.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:14 pm

it probably would take a year or two to get everything in order. But you also have remember this, while it might be sweet for the first class to only have to suffer for 2 years, that class has to compete with its class AND the 3L class.

martymoose

New

Post by martymoose » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:31 pm

Also, any cons to taking out 3L? I love the idea, but that's because I'm a debt-averse 0L.
Oh no. You're not getting off that easy. I would expect tuitions to to go up to compensate. So instead of paying $40K a year for three years, you'd pay $60K for two.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Spritzpiggy

Bronze

Post by Spritzpiggy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:11 pm

Yeah I'm sure they'd increase tuition, but at least you save COL for a year...

IF they allowed a two year option I feel like it would be just that, an option. If you dint have a 2L job well...hang out a little more!

But I probably am being too optimistic in this. I'm sure their reforms will be insignificant and mostly empty

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:27 pm

northwood wrote:it probably would take a year or two to get everything in order. But you also have remember this, while it might be sweet for the first class to only have to suffer for 2 years, that class has to compete with its class AND the 3L class.
Great point, it would suck to be those classes.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:29 pm

Imagine if it went to FOUR years and you were the last 3 year class? Dope

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:33 pm

stillwater wrote:Imagine if it went to FOUR years and you were the last 3 year class? Dope
One of my 1L professors, who's super nice and I really respect, suggested this last year to our class. And the weird thing was, lots of heads started nodding. And I was just like, how clueless can you be old man?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:35 pm

cinephile wrote:
stillwater wrote:Imagine if it went to FOUR years and you were the last 3 year class? Dope
One of my 1L professors, who's super nice and I really respect, suggested this last year to our class. And the weird thing was, lots of heads started nodding. And I was just like, how clueless can you be old man?
b/c he sees those dolla bills

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:36 pm

Spritzpiggy wrote:http://www.abajournal.com/mobile/articl ... _idea_now/

The ABA already allows a 2 year program and Northwestern has had it for some time now. http://www.law.northwestern.edu/academics/ajd/

Spritzpiggy

Bronze

Post by Spritzpiggy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:38 pm

Yeah but you don't have summers free and you're still fulfilling the same credit hour requirement.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:39 pm

stillwater wrote:
cinephile wrote:
He said the fourth year should be a practical year, like a residency. And I do believe he had good intentions because he's also encouraged people to drop out if below median. So he knows half of us won't get jobs, but wants to extend school anyway?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Spritzpiggy

Bronze

Post by Spritzpiggy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:44 pm

Yeah except in residency doctors get paid! (Albeit very low wages for a doctor) This I would be all for.

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:47 pm

Some schools (e.g. Pepperdine) already offer an "accelerated 2 year JD" option. I don't think it would be crazy to see more schools follow suit in the near future.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:48 pm

cinephile wrote:
stillwater wrote:
cinephile wrote:
He said the fourth year should be a practical year, like a residency. And I do believe he had good intentions because he's also encouraged people to drop out if below median. So he knows half of us won't get jobs, but wants to extend school anyway?
They should shorten it to 1.5 years in class and 1.5 year residency with the option to leave the residency at anytime that you find an actual job.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:59 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:Some schools (e.g. Pepperdine) already offer an "accelerated 2 year JD" option. I don't think it would be crazy to see more schools follow suit in the near future.
Northwestern does it too. Start in May 0, end in May +2.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Spritzpiggy

Bronze

Post by Spritzpiggy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:03 pm

I love Drakes idea.

Goblin Tacos

New

Post by Goblin Tacos » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:22 pm

martymoose wrote:
Also, any cons to taking out 3L? I love the idea, but that's because I'm a debt-averse 0L.
Oh no. You're not getting off that easy. I would expect tuitions to to go up to compensate. So instead of paying $40K a year for three years, you'd pay $60K for two.

Oh don't worry. We'll pay that soon enough per semester.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:41 pm

Spritzpiggy wrote:I love Drakes idea.
+1

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”