0Ls: What's your plan B? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Rory19

Bronze

Re: 0Ls: What's your plan B?

Post by Rory19 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:44 pm

My Plan B is quickly becoming Plan A as well... Continue to progress in my current career, pay off debts, within 5-7 years make as much or more money through progression in my government position as I would coming out of law school and going into PI. Have the financial solvency to start a family and probably never look back.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:06 pm

Plan B: go to law school

North

Gold

Post by North » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:24 pm

Crowing wrote:Plan B: go to law school
What was plan A breh?

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:04 pm

North wrote:
What was plan A breh?
I haven't figured out plan A yet - or at least the entirety of it. Like idk if say "working shitty retail job" is above or below LS in plans atm.

PickMe!

Bronze

Post by PickMe! » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:13 pm

My plan B is quickly becoming my plan A as well. If I can't have 100% of my legal education paid for, I'll continue down the path of educational administration and policy.
Last edited by PickMe! on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

North

Gold

Post by North » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:23 am

Crowing wrote:
North wrote:
What was plan A breh?
I haven't figured out plan A yet - or at least the entirety of it. Like idk if say "working shitty retail job" is above or below LS in plans atm.
The debt kill LS for you?

Even with Chi on the table? Makes me feel even dumber for selling my soul to UVA...

Bobnoxious

Bronze

Post by Bobnoxious » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:38 am

Plan A = Law School leading to a mostly satisfied, semi-comfortable life afterward.

Plan B = Life insurance policy for 1-3 years + divorce (don't want her to owe the tax burden on forgiven loans) + bullet to the brainpan (or the equivalent).

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:49 am

Plan A: Law school making a devastating -40k/year along with alcoholism, lonely nights, and self-loathing/self-entitlement
Plan B: Software Developer at a mid-sized software firm near DC making a comfy 80k/y

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:02 am

jwinaz wrote:
El_Gallo wrote:I decided not to go to law school last year even though I had T14 numbers. I am currently doing Teach for America. I feel like a lot of liberal arts majors feel pressure to go to law school, just because they don't feel like they have other options. So far, for me education have been an extremely rewarding field. I would encourage other people to look into it.

There are a lot of ways to get a masters in education for nearly free. There are parts of the country that are in desperate need of teachers. After 3-6 years you can reasonably expect to move into administration and and make between 50k-90k. If you become a principle of a big school or a superintendent you can make well over 100k.

Check out this link for a list of educator salaries in in Washington State. There are 100's of people that make a six figure income. http://wwwb.thenewstribune.com/databases/school_pay/

Not that I advocate going into education for money, but I feel like a lot of people don't even look into it because they believe they will be poor for their entire lives.
That's interesting. Adjusted for COL in Washington, $50K is not that much. It's one of the more expensive states (esp. Seattle area), but a nicer place to live than most probably.

Can you provide some info. for teacher training programs that you say are free? ...That sounded interesting to me.
50k is a lot if you're teaching on the eastside. Look at COL in the tri-cities, yakima, and spokane, it's cheap as fuck. Also you're probably more likely to find employment there or one of the bumfuck areas like the okanogan valley. People looking for teaching jobs arent finding the cushy jobs in expensive areas like Seattle, Bellevue, or I-5 corridor in general.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dkb17xzx

Bronze

Post by dkb17xzx » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:08 am

Either apply to a PhD program in International Relations (job prospects for which are minimal) or do this 10 week programming gig which has good job placement in the Silicon Valley

i srsly wish i had doubled in economics with my worthless lib arts degree

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:26 am

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:36 am

North wrote:
Crowing wrote:
North wrote:
What was plan A breh?
The debt kill LS for you?

Even with Chi on the table? Makes me feel even dumber for selling my soul to UVA...
I haven't totes ruled anything out yet and am gonna use all the time I've got left before committing to anything, but I'm leaning toward not going atm. I don't actually think T14 sticker is universally dumb; I just think it's probs dumb for me.

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:22 pm

Plan B: Really start using my connection to move to an international organisation. Provided they start hiring again.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:25 pm

Isn't that what the LLM is for?

Oh wait, that's the backup plan for lawyers who can't find work never mind.

TheBiggerMediocre

Bronze

Post by TheBiggerMediocre » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:38 am

My plan is as follows go to any school in the top 100 once I get my results since i have literally bet my college education on going to law school and I don't want to go back to school for anything but law or maybe business unless I want to get into politics. Roughly if its t30 I shall pay sticker if 30-60 50% off 60-90 free! 90-100 pay me.
Bobnoxious wrote:Plan A = Law School leading to a mostly satisfied, semi-comfortable life afterward.

Plan B = Life insurance policy for 1-3 years + divorce (don't want her to owe the tax burden on forgiven loans) + bullet to the brainpan (or the equivalent).
I have had similar thoughts

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:06 pm

PickMe! wrote:My plan B is quickly becoming my plan A as well. If I can't have 100% of my legal education paid for, I'll continue down the path of educational administration and policy.
:shock:

jtabustos

Bronze

Post by jtabustos » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:24 pm

What about a mobile food service business guys?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37400996/ns ... ood-truck/

Here in CA they're quite normal to see. I've read that you can make pretty good money on them (I think as high as six-figures).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:13 pm

I am considering going back to this inside sales job I used to have in the area. Its a total shitjob with biglaw hours and a shit environment but it pays like crazy. If you actually stick around you can make six figures. I actually think its a hidden gem since its not that hard to get. I wonder if its worth waiting a year and saving up a little.

jwinaz

Bronze

Post by jwinaz » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:21 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:I am considering going back to this inside sales job I used to have in the area. Its a total shitjob with biglaw hours and a shit environment but it pays like crazy. If you actually stick around you can make six figures. I actually think its a hidden gem since its not that hard to get. I wonder if its worth waiting a year and saving up a little.

What is an "inside sales job" if you don't mind explicating? :P

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:23 pm

jwinaz wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:I am considering going back to this inside sales job I used to have in the area. Its a total shitjob with biglaw hours and a shit environment but it pays like crazy. If you actually stick around you can make six figures. I actually think its a hidden gem since its not that hard to get. I wonder if its worth waiting a year and saving up a little.

What is an "inside sales job" if you don't mind explicating? :P
Basically telemarketing lol. Over the phone. This place has some weird niche market selling a particular asset to other companies, and somehow they make a shitload of money. But like I said, working conditions there are downright horrible.

And by sticking around I meant more than a few months, you can easily make six figures and beyond. Most people don't last that long.

ksllaw

Bronze

Post by ksllaw » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:07 pm

http://education.yahoo.net/articles/car ... ?kid=1MN8K

Found this interesting. Paralegals have an 18% expected growth rate in jobs through 2020 according to this article.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:39 pm

john7234797 wrote:
Legacy Rabbit wrote:Double Major: Philosophy and Poli Sci and Minored in History.

I guess my undergrad degree has plateaued for my situation. I was very concerned about my ability to underwrite my lifestyle, and most importantly remain competitive, so I went back and received a paralegal certification that was newly being offered at my undergrad institution. My justification was that I need to have the income to help pay for law school and pay for the lifestyle. I wanted to remain "me" and pay out of pocket as much as I can. Plus, as oppose to going to school full time two semesters a year over three years and work in the summer, go part-time and hold a position that engages in substantive legal work at least 50 percent of the time.

This certification led to an internship with a highly respected tech company for a year. The certification, the tech company, the undergrad degree, and my prev years of work experience have culminated to a present situation of a job offer for about 50k as a paralegal. I will attend law school this fall in the state I grew up in part-time.

Companies are gearing towards wanting advanced degrees even for entry level positions. There are so many graduate degrees and experienced professional adults to pull from that someone in their 20s with only an undergrad liberal arts degree, without 3-5 years of substantive work experience as defined by the respected companies HR, may find it hard in today's current job environment.

I highly suggest to those of you who are not working Fortune 500, immediately do so.

Good positions to look for that assist you in building your resume: consulting, risk, contracts. These areas are also considered JD preference jobs and look great while you are a 0L. If you are not qualified for those positions. Working for a firm engaging in Foreclosure or bkptcy or short sales is very good. I say these three areas because someone with only a liberal arts degree can more than likely find a job in a firm or in house. Also, with a liberal arts degree jobs engaged or titled "research" are good too.

In conclusion, my situation:
No law school, than a full time worker bee :)
Good to see a fellow useless liberal arts degree holder finding some work. As a senior undergrad it's tough finding stuff. Got one interview for a research analyst position i hope goes well.. hoping to get a few more. I wish my school offered a paralegal certificate.. I'm not about to enroll in a program for a year at a local CC to get that. That is something I'd be interested in doing though.
Just an update, I was able to land the research analyst position. $32 K a year with some bonuses and benefits. Seemed like a small, very laid back place and it would be a pleasant work environment. Not a lot of longterm aspirations but seems like a solid place to get that first job.

Pretty excited and ready to accept. Should I withdraw from the Waitlsit at the schools I applied to?

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:00 pm

NYC Cops make over $90K after 5 years according to their recruiting website.

No student debt either.

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:04 pm

john7234797 wrote:Just an update, I was able to land the research analyst position. $32 K a year with some bonuses and benefits. Seemed like a small, very laid back place and it would be a pleasant work environment. Not a lot of longterm aspirations but seems like a solid place to get that first job.

Pretty excited and ready to accept. Should I withdraw from the Waitlsit at the schools I applied to?
Absolutely! Work experience pre-law school is a very smart path to take, and it gives you the time to improve your LSAT score if you decide that's something you're interested in. I've been working for two years, and I'm still applying to jobs in case I decide to defer/not go. After working a 9-5 and spending most of my nights and weekends playing video games, reading, and hanging out, what I'm getting myself into with law school doesn't sound super appealing at the moment.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:14 pm

Can any of those accountants speak to if dat biglaw salary is eligible for all them secret rich people tax loopholes I keep hearing about?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”