Need a good job before law school. Ideas? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
TX_UH

Bronze

Need a good job before law school. Ideas?

Post by TX_UH » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:41 pm

I am planning to start law school in Fall 2015. Until then I need a job that will help me gain legal experience. What should I do and where should I do it?

Here are the factors to keep in mind:
-Live and work in Houston, TX
-Currently interning in Procurement contracts department of a large oil services corporation until the end of the month (January)
-Graduated last December
-New job must be paid

Let's see what TLS community suggests... and...GO!

Micdiddy

Gold

Re: Need a good job before law school. Ideas?

Post by Micdiddy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:07 pm

there are some law firms that infamously hire law school hopefuls as clerks. It's kind of a win-win but also opportunistic because they can basically pay really low rates, but sell the idea that you are gaining actual legal experience and can "determine if this is really what you want to do..." etc. etc.
I don't know anything about Houston but you can do the research and see if there's a place like this around.

TX_UH

Bronze

Post by TX_UH » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:48 pm

Thanks MicDiddy

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:35 pm

Sales. Work in sales. How much you make in life and in law will be dependent on how much work you can bring it. Start earning those skills early.

hobie2515

New

Post by hobie2515 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:10 pm

I worked for 2 years as a Landman in Midland. You might something similar (or at least work in the Land Department) for an energy company or a Land company. The work is all legal related (contracts, title, property and oil and gas law) and most companies pay very reasonably (as is often the case in the energy industry).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:31 pm

hobie2515 wrote:I worked for 2 years as a Landman in Midland. You might something similar (or at least work in the Land Department) for an energy company or a Land company. The work is all legal related (contracts, title, property and oil and gas law) and most companies pay very reasonably (as is often the case in the energy industry).
These types of jobs are what people and graduates should look for but often they are "beneath" new graduates. FWIW 2 year associate degree technicians in my state who are NICET / NFPA certified make more than starting lawyers with 7 years of schooling installing and inspecting fire alarms. Supply & Demand.

TX_UH

Bronze

Post by TX_UH » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:12 am

I actually worked for a major oil services company in the contracts team of procurement as an intern from May of last year until two weeks ago. Surprisingly, I did not get much from this experience that I hadn't already learned from my one business law class in undergrad. I tried to obtain a position working with the legal department at this company but to no avail, as they only wanted current law students and JDs for any of the positions in their office.

typ3: Your suggestion to work in sales is noted and I agree...I worked in sales for three years and I taught me skills I am glad to have today but I would like something where I can get more exposure to business law and learn the proverbial "ropes."

What do you (typ3, hobie2515, anyone else who would like to contribute) think about MicDiddy's suggestion?
Micdiddy wrote:there are some law firms that infamously hire law school hopefuls as clerks. It's kind of a win-win but also opportunistic because they can basically pay really low rates, but sell the idea that you are gaining actual legal experience and can "determine if this is really what you want to do..." etc. etc.
I don't know anything about Houston but you can do the research and see if there's a place like this around.
In Houston, there are plenty of firms in Houston and the surrounding area that range in size. The only firm that I know specifically offers positions like MicDiddy suggests is Baker Botts LLP. Any thoughts on this? Should I consider firm size and practices or go another route? ...and why, please?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”