passing the bar in multiple states Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
aarone119

New

passing the bar in multiple states

Post by aarone119 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:56 am

Hi all.

I have not even graduated my undergrad school yet, but I am planning on law school and I want to know about the policies of the Bar exam I can expect if I am to go through three years of law school.

If I go to law school in a state other than the one I plan to live in and practice law in (say I live in NY and go to a school in CA), will the education I receive prepare me for passing the CA bar TO THE EXCLUSION of passing it in NY and other states? Would I need to take it twice? Is it advisable to go to a school in the same state I intend to practice law in? Do I need a certain higher score in order to have the ability to practice law in more than one state?

Thanks in advance for the guidance.

atcushman

Bronze

Re: passing the bar in multiple states

Post by atcushman » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:02 am

law school does a great job of not teaching you anything you will need to pass the bar. You will however take/pay for a bar review course for the state in which you wish to practice...hopefully the state where you are offered a job and where your firm tells you to pass the bar

go to the Best school you can get into, if you dont go to a t14 go to the best school in the region you want to practice...not because of the bar because of the networking

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:04 am

After/while obtaining you JD, you study to take the BAR in the state you're going to practice. If you know you want to practice somewhere, going to school there can range from "helpful" to "required" if you don't go to a T14.

Also, reciprocity means some states accept the BAR from other states: --LinkRemoved--

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:17 am

There are basically two sets of laws: Common Law (rules handed down over time) or Statutory text (academic "cleaning up"; MPC, UCC, etc.), and every state (except Louisiana) uses a combination of the two, and good law schools generally teach you both, which would be helpful to pass any bar exam, but also to think beyond just the rules. Crappy law schools are more likely to teach specifically toward the local bar exam only.

Outside of the T14, you should not attend a law school that is not in the region you intend to practice in. This typically means the state, but can also mean just part of the state (if it's a large state) Within the T14, this is also true, but to a lesser extent; with some exceptions, you should attend an out-of-state T14 over a local non-T14.

Each state has its own bar admissions standards, though there is some overlap (e.g. the MBE can be taken once and used for multiple states). This is state specific. To the best of my knowledge, California is entirely distinct and there is no overlap with any other state. There's a link/thread somewhere on TLS that has far more information
Additionally, some states have reciprocity; but typically you will need to have been a lawyer for 5 years before you can waive in. Again, this is state specific

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:20 am

aarone119 wrote:Hi all.

I have not even graduated my undergrad school yet, but I am planning on law school and I want to know about the policies of the Bar exam I can expect if I am to go through three years of law school.

If I go to law school in a state other than the one I plan to live in and practice law in (say I live in NY and go to a school in CA), will the education I receive prepare me for passing the CA bar TO THE EXCLUSION of passing it in NY and other states? Would I need to take it twice? Is it advisable to go to a school in the same state I intend to practice law in? Do I need a certain higher score in order to have the ability to practice law in more than one state?

lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:49 am

Suralin wrote:

lol
Come on, man. These are legitimate questions about law school in a forum specifically described as a place to ask questions about law school.

We don't have to make fun of everyone.

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:28 am

TripTrip wrote:
Suralin wrote:

lol
Come on, man. These are legitimate questions about law school in a forum specifically described as a place to ask questions about law school.

We don't have to make fun of everyone.
True, but these are mostly questions that can be trivially answered with just a little research. For example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_examin ... ted_States or http://[link redacted]/0jADa or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admission_ ... ted_States

You're right though, that was pretty douchey of me. I apologize OP.

atcushman

Bronze

Post by atcushman » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:36 am

Dont feel too bad Suralin I laughed too

westie25

Bronze

Post by westie25 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:11 pm

This happens a lot especially where I live. Most attorneys in this area are licensed in MO & IL. Some are also licensed in KS and/or IN. You will take a bar review class to prepare for each individual bar. If you were to plan on practicing in Louisiana, then going to law school there would make sense. Their law is completely different. It is based off French code law instead of English.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:16 pm

As others have said, law school doesn't really prepare you to take the bar exam. For one thing, you likely won't take every course that will be tested on the bar. And you'll likely forget what you learn in the classes you do take by the time you're preparing to take the bar. So, companies like Barbri, Kaplan, and Themis offer bar prep courses that teach you what you'll need to know. If you graduate in May, you'll start the course right around graduation, and the course will end a little before the bar exam at the end of July. As for bar prep, it doesn't matter what state you go to (with the exception of Louisiana since they aren't on the common law system like the rest of the states).

If you want to be licensed in multiple states, there are several options. A couple states allow you to take the bar exam for both states at the same time. For example, you can do this for NY & NJ. You'd have one day of NY specific stuff, one day of NJ specific stuff, and one day for the MBE portion (nationwide). However, very few states allow this. In those states, you'll have to take each exam at different times (i.e., one in July and the other in February). If you can wait several years to practice in the second state, states have reciprocity with other states. This works in that after you've worked as an attorney for several years, the second state will allow you to become licensed in their state without having to take their bar exam. Each state has reciprocity with only certain other states, so you'd have to see whether your second state has reciprocity/commity with the first. If they don't, you'll have to take the bar exam in the second state.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”