Free Degree or Leave- What Should I Do Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Lock74

New

Free Degree or Leave- What Should I Do

Post by Lock74 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:44 pm

This time next year, I will be either applying for a graduate program/post bacc at my school or applying to the peace corp. I have 5 years of scholarship and will be graduating next year (3rd year) with a degree in criminal justice with a 3.9. This leaves several options on the table since I will have two years of free school left over. I am set on the Peace Corps and will either do it at the end of my scholarship or next year after I get my degree. I am wondering what I should do. Here are several of my options and concerns.

1)Get MBA- Requires 1 and half years after I graduate. I think the business knowledge will be beneficial for my career in law but there is currently a mixed opinion on people with a MBA and a J.D and this concerns me. In addition, I am currently much more interesting in PI/JAG/DA/ Gov more so than Biglaw.

2)Get MSP ( Masters in Public Service Management)- Requires 1 and half years after I graduate. This degree is more in line with what I want career wise and I think would provide a bigger boost when applying to Peace Corps and positions after law school.

3)Triple Major/ Post Bacc- Requires two years after I graduate. After my criminal justice degree it is possible to get two additional bachelor’s degree in humanities/ social sciences and psychology. Would give me a broad smattering of knowledge but no specific direction. This option seems pointless but if not let me know.

4)Biology/Post Bacc- Requires two years after I graduate. I am not drawn to the STEM sciences as I am the social sciences but I have never really given it a shot either. This opens up patent law and a more stable back up degree.

5)Get Criminal Justice Degree and get ready for the Peace Corp. I would be coming out of school when I am 21 and giving up two years of free school. I know I want to go to the Peace Corps and law school but I am worried this is the wrong route because I am giving up a free degree/easy living for two years. I am in no rush to law school and understand the importance of taking time off between undergrad and law school.

Note- The above master’s and degree options are all that I have at my current school. Also I know I have one year before I make a decision but I also know it will be here before I know it and I want to be the best prepared/ informed this time next year when I make my decision.

twenty

Gold

Re: Free Degree or Leave- What Should I Do

Post by twenty » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:07 pm

2), followed by 1).

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:11 pm

Get a computer science degree and be an FBI baller.

Lock74

New

Post by Lock74 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:17 pm

Thanks for the replies. Option two has made the most sense to me but I do not want to look over anything. I am looking for any and all perspectives.

My university does have a computer information degree but no true blue computer science degree. Anyway that type of FBI work is unappealing to me but I have though about it and looked into it.

Thanks again and keep em coming.

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:35 am

Order from most beneficial to least: 2,1,5,4,3

4 and 3 are useless. A bachelors degree in a biology field will not get your foot in the door for patent law, you need a PhD to be taken seriously for that. Also you will have to deal with courses that are generally agreed to be much more difficult(although since it would be your second major it has no affect on your gpa). 3 is the same issue, besides being able to say you had 3 degrees(which i will admit sounds cool), it has no real benefit for you and your career plans. I agree with 20%'s choices.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pumpkin_Pie

New

Post by Pumpkin_Pie » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:44 am

I wouldn't get another bachelors degree. If anything, I would get a master's in something that gives you useful skills like computer science (not information, that's a librarian's degree) or a foreign language.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:47 am

If you are going to do patent law, I'd echo the other person in this thread who said CS. You should be able to be an MS in CS over two years (they typically take 1 but you need to do prereqs and stuff). Don't do bio, it's not that in demand.

Getting another BA is just stupid. Get dat masters.

Lock74

New

Post by Lock74 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:03 pm

The masters in computer science does sound like a good idea but to bad my university does not have one. Thank you for the heads up on the biology degree. Option 2 seems to be winning out as I thought it would. Again thank you for the opinions and insights.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:34 pm

Why not 2 free years of law school?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:11 pm

Veyron wrote:Why not 2 free years of law school?
His undergrad probably doesn't have a law school. Plus, with a 3.9...

ddacey

Bronze

Post by ddacey » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:06 am

I did not know undergraduate colleges give out 5 year scholarships. What schools do this?

Lock74

New

Post by Lock74 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:10 am

I am an athlete and was red shirted which gave me a additional year of scholarship.

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:43 pm

Whatever you do, get that first degree ASAP, and protect that 3.9. As long as you get that first bachelors with the 3.9, you'll be set for law school (LSAC stops counting grades towards GPA once you earn the bachelors).

If you are set on both law and the peace corps, just graduate and go do the peace corps, and go to law school afterwards. Don't waste time getting another degree that may or may not help you in the future.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”