Another "should I do it"? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
iamanerd

New

Another "should I do it"?

Post by iamanerd » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:51 pm

I am a paralegal at a V10 litigation boutique. The lawyers here do some of the most interesting and high-profile work in the country. And yet a lot of them are miserable and have repeatedly urged me to not go to law school.

However, I know a people that put up with a lot more shit for a lot less than $200k/year with great job security. And a lot of the work they do is pretty interesting--they're miserable because there's just too much of it.

I have a 3.8 with a 174 LSAT, so I have a real chance at getting in anywhere, and I wouldn't go below CCN. I actually think I would enjoy certain aspects of being a litigator--I like analytical writing, and I also like schmoozing.

That said, my parents have NO MONEY, so I don't really have a safety net if I fail to get a BigLaw or LRAP-eligible job. The only other jobs I am attracted to are college professor or journalist, which is to say, not realistic options.

What do you think--worth the gamble?

FlanAl

Silver

Re: Another "should I do it"?

Post by FlanAl » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:05 pm

iamanerd wrote:I am a paralegal at a V10 litigation boutique. The lawyers here do some of the most interesting and high-profile work in the country. And yet a lot of them are miserable and have repeatedly urged me to not go to law school.

However, I know a people that put up with a lot more shit for a lot less than $200k/year with great job security. And a lot of the work they do is pretty interesting--they're miserable because there's just too much of it.

I have a 3.8 with a 174 LSAT, so I have a real chance at getting in anywhere, and I wouldn't go below CCN. I actually think I would enjoy certain aspects of being a litigator--I like analytical writing, and I also like schmoozing.

That said, my parents have NO MONEY, so I don't really have a safety net if I fail to get a BigLaw or LRAP-eligible job. The only other jobs I am attracted to are college professor or journalist, which is to say, not realistic options.

might want to look into that more. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &sk=t&sd=a

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:09 pm

iamanerd wrote:I am a paralegal at a V10 litigation boutique. The lawyers here do some of the most interesting and high-profile work in the country. And yet a lot of them are miserable and have repeatedly urged me to not go to law school.

Go to the best full-ride you can get - which will be somewhere in the T14 for sure

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:12 pm

I am as pessimistic as they come on here, and I think law school sounds right for you. You've got great stats, you know what you're getting into, you sound pretty self-aware and aware of the market, and you have some ties to the industry. If this is what you want, go for it. Just make sure this is what you want, though.

I agree with Dingbat though, you might consider a full ride as opposed to a quarter mil of debt at CCN.

cowmater

New

Post by cowmater » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:13 pm

To clarify, would it be possible for you to apply this admissions cycle to see what sorts of scholly and fin aid offers you get from schools? Especially with fee waivers, I wonder if it may be worth it to see who bites?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:17 pm

Not much of a gamble in light of your work experience if you take a full tuition & fees scholarship to a lower T-14.

P.S. How long have you worked as a paralegal ? How much are you making (opportunity cost) ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:20 pm

1) There is no V10 Lit Boutique.

2) With a 3.8/174 you would be MUCH better off taking a large scholarship at the bottom T14. The difference between CCN and Penn or Northwestern is barely noticeable in overall job placement. Outside of NYC firms I'm not even sure there is a difference. But even in NYC the difference isn't huge.

iamanerd

New

Post by iamanerd » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:23 pm

Vault has a list of the ten most prestigious litigation boutiques. We're on it. Thanks for the advice though.
Desert Fox wrote:

1) There is no V10 Lit Boutique.

2) With a 3.8/174 you would be MUCH better off taking a large scholarship at the bottom T14. The difference between CCN and Penn or Northwestern is barely noticeable in overall job placement. Outside of NYC firms I'm not even sure there is a difference. But even in NYC the difference isn't huge.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:51 pm

It's actually a Vault Top 15 list of the nation's top litigation boutiques.

3 are in Houston, 1 in Chicago, 3 in NYC, 1 in Abbeville, Georgia, 1 in San Francisco, 1 in Dallas, 1 in San Diego, 1 in Denver, 1 (#15) in St. Louis, & 1 in Encino, California. Also, 1 in Wash. D.C.

OP: If you're in Texas, then consider UT-Austin on a full scholarship since you have professional relationships in the area & several Vault top 15 litigation boutiques in the state.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:58 pm

With a 3.8/174, and more importantly, an actual job, nowhere minus HYS is worth sticker. Picking Columbia at sticker over Northwestern with a full ride (which you could easily pull with an ED and your numbers) is borderline insanity.

All that said, I'd mentally count on sitting this cycle out, though also try for the highest full ride/HYS you can get. If it's better than full ride at Northwestern, go this year. If it's not, ED NU next cycle.

scifiguy

Silver

Post by scifiguy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:11 am

What % of people at HYS end up non-competitive for a legal job?

I hear people saying that only HYS are worth sticker (if even that). Supposedly the risk is low. But still, what if you're bottom of teh class at HYS?

Can, say, bottom 10% at HYS still get biglaw?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:26 am

scifiguy wrote:What % of people at HYS end up non-competitive for a legal job?

I hear people saying that only HYS are worth sticker (if even that). Supposedly the risk is low. But still, what if you're bottom of teh class at HYS?

Can, say, bottom 10% at HYS still get biglaw?
yes, but it won't be handed to them on a golden plate

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”