Putting "admitted to law school" on a resume? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
bdm261

Bronze

Putting "admitted to law school" on a resume?

Post by bdm261 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:38 pm

What's everyone's opinion on this? First off, I know it shows potential employers that I'm definitely not going to be there come Fall 2013, but in any cases would it be advisable?

I've been considering using it when I apply for part-time legal jobs at law firms because I figured it shows them that I'm competent enough to at least get admitted somewhere and that I've made a career choice that I'm committed to.

I was thinking of putting a line that says "Admitted as J.D. Candidate to XXX Law School, Beginning Fall 2013" in my Education section under my undergraduate credentials.

rebexness

Gold

Re: Putting "admitted to law school" on a resume?

Post by rebexness » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:39 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pumpkin_Pie

New

Post by Pumpkin_Pie » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:57 am

This is something you should talk about during the interview if they ask, not add to your resume.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:02 pm

rebexness wrote:In my experience, indicating that you are leaving, even for a part time job, is sort of the kiss of death.
This.

Dont do it.

DougieFresh

New

Post by DougieFresh » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:14 pm

You need to think about the advice that has been offered here and the kind of person and the kind of lawyer you want to be. Being honest and open enough to build trusting relationships is not a skill that you can just turn on. It takes practice and it takes time to develop.

In my experience, dishonesty is never a good idea.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cynthiad

Bronze

Post by cynthiad » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:16 pm

DougieFresh wrote:You need to think about the advice that has been offered here and the kind of person and the kind of lawyer you want to be. Being honest and open enough to build trusting relationships is not a skill that you can just turn on. It takes practice and it takes time to develop.

In my experience, dishonesty is never a good idea.
No one's suggesting op be dishonest. If they're specifically asked if they can commit to longer than a summer, obviously they should tell the truth. But generally part-time work doesn't require a guarantee that you can stick around for a specific length of time.

PickMe!

Bronze

Post by PickMe! » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:17 pm

Nova wrote:
rebexness wrote:In my experience, indicating that you are leaving, even for a part time job, is sort of the kiss of death.
This.

Dont do it.
+2

DougieFresh

New

Post by DougieFresh » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:34 pm

cynthiad wrote: No one's suggesting op be dishonest. If they're specifically asked if they can commit to longer than a summer, obviously they should tell the truth. But generally part-time work doesn't require a guarantee that you can stick around for a specific length of time.
Consider how that honesty or dishonesty could be perceived by any potential firm that may be looking to hire op.

And I dont think this eliminates op from finding a part time gig either, rather that the focus of his search should be on gaining experience and building quality relationships in the legal field. Specifically reaching out as a future law student hoping to learn from successful lawyers would be ops best move in this situation.

Relationships matter.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:42 pm

DougieFresh wrote:
cynthiad wrote: No one's suggesting op be dishonest. If they're specifically asked if they can commit to longer than a summer, obviously they should tell the truth. But generally part-time work doesn't require a guarantee that you can stick around for a specific length of time.
Consider how that honesty or dishonesty could be perceived by any potential firm that may be looking to hire op.

And I dont think this eliminates op from finding a part time gig either, rather that the focus of his search should be on gaining experience and building quality relationships in the legal field. Specifically reaching out as a future law student hoping to learn from successful lawyers would be ops best move in this situation.

Relationships matter.
no...law firms would just think you're a moron for putting a red flag like that on a resume.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:07 pm

f0bolous wrote:
DougieFresh wrote:

Relationships matter.
no...law firms would just think you're a moron for putting a red flag like that on a resume.
This.

lizaregina

New

Post by lizaregina » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:16 pm

Just to present an alternate perspective, I did this for positions I knew were going to be 1-2 years long.

I put:
•Accepted for matriculation by Harvard Law School, with possible deferral for up to two years

And it worked out really well for me with potential employers.

Yasy13

New

Post by Yasy13 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:19 am

I've always heard you should NEVER put anything on your resume that isn't already occurring. If you got into school, that comes up in interview, you don't put it on your resume. It's not dishonest to leave it out, but it IS unprofessional to put it on.

hume85

Silver

Post by hume85 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:23 am

lizaregina wrote:Just to present an alternate perspective, I did this for positions I knew were going to be 1-2 years long.

I put:
Accepted for matriculation by Harvard Law School, with possible deferral for up to two years

I actually think this isn't a terrible idea for someone in this person's situation. If it is a short term job, they are expecting you to leave, and HLS impresses people like little else. Just make sure to sell them on why the short term job is a very important part of your career development and arc.
But if the school is some random T1 on done, then don't put it on your resume. Few people will be impressed.

ETA: I say this, because more than one of the employers with which I interviewed recently where impressed that I got into Penn. It seemed to be something which helped me get a job offer. But I also put on cover letters, not my resume.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:28 pm

lizaregina wrote:Just to present an alternate perspective, I did this for positions I knew were going to be 1-2 years long.

I put:
•Accepted for matriculation by Harvard Law School, with possible deferral for up to two years

Yeah, as my UG lacks dat prestige, if I was able to put something like this in my attempt to apply to short-term finance related jobs, I could definitely see it being the reason I get an interview. Especially since it isn't implausible to go back into the field after LS.

chadbrochill

Bronze

Post by chadbrochill » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:03 pm

hume85 wrote: ETA: I say this, because more than one of the employers with which I interviewed recently where impressed that I got into Penn. It seemed to be something which helped me get a job offer. But I also put on cover letters, not my resume.
Nice, how did you spin it? My experience so far has been like what rebex said, any of this law school business is a kiss of death no matter what kind of job.

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:16 pm

I currently work at a law firm, and I know for a fact that they would not have seriously considered me if I had told them that I had been admitted and were definitely going to leave them within a year-ish.

I told them during the interview that it was a possibility but that I might even continue to work there part-time there once I went to law school (or defer, etc) ... but I did explicitly tell them that law school was in the cards. It can be a positive thing in that they may respect you more, and (in my experience) they've even taken me under their wing in a way, because they know I want to do similar work. So it can work to your advantage as long as you don't openly convey the idea that you're using them.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”