Are There More Christians or Atheists in Law School? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
nickb285

Silver

Re: Are There More Christians or Atheists in Law School?

Post by nickb285 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:50 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gobuffs10

Bronze

Post by gobuffs10 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:21 pm

nickb285 wrote:
gobuffs10 wrote:
chimp wrote:Who gives a fuck?
There is very little worse than someone trying to start a political/religious argument in a law school class.
Someone dragging up a political/religious argument that ended two weeks ago might qualify, though.
Not my fault the boards are dead. It was like the 8th post down. Nobody made you click it.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:53 pm

gobuffs10 wrote:
nickb285 wrote:
gobuffs10 wrote:
chimp wrote:Who gives a fuck?
There is very little worse than someone trying to start a political/religious argument in a law school class.
Someone dragging up a political/religious argument that ended two weeks ago might qualify, though.
Not my fault the boards are dead. It was like the 8th post down. Nobody made you click it.
Most people on TLS browse by "View active topics" and not by any specific forum. (Though some people stay in the lounge, some people stay in the LSAT forums, etc.) So for many people you bumped a dead thread that everyone had forgotten about. (And I'm not doing much better by helping keep in on the first page of the active topics.)

gobuffs10

Bronze

Post by gobuffs10 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:04 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Most people on TLS browse by "View active topics" and not by any specific forum. (Though some people stay in the lounge, some people stay in the LSAT forums, etc.) So for many people you bumped a dead thread that everyone had forgotten about. (And I'm not doing much better by helping keep in on the first page of the active topics.)
Duly noted. My mistake.

Audeamus

Bronze

Post by Audeamus » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:06 pm

John Mill wrote:
sinfiery wrote:
John Mill wrote:
sinfiery wrote:I would be shocked if it was proportional to society in general.
Why is that?
Basic assumptions being greater IQ than average for society = less likely to be religious

Second assumption being greater IQ than average for society = more likely to be in law school

And that's about it
Neither of those assumptions are true, and the first one is actually fairly stupid :roll:
I cannot help but step in and provide evidence, which you so vehemently claim does not exist, that supports Sinfiery's first assumption. Consider the following: "Evidence is reviewed pointing to a negative relationship between intelligence and religious belief in the United States and Europe. It is shown that intelligence measured as psychometric g is negatively related to religious belief." This a quote from Dr. Richard Lynn's 2009 article "Average intelligence predicts atheism rates across 137 nations" that was published in Intelligence, a peer-reviewed academic journal of psychology. In 2012 Social Psychology Quarterly article, Dr. Satoshi Kanazawa, a professor at the London School of Economics, concludes "atheism ...correlate with higher intelligence". These are only two of numerous studies that support Sinfiery's assumption.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”