Netbook for Law school? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Scotusnerd

Silver

Re: Netbook for Law school?

Post by Scotusnerd » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:40 pm

Anyone who thinks that you will never have to deal with a 'dying format' has never dealt with a government agency...or the wonders that are state technology spending. That's all I have to say. :roll:

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:01 pm

zanzbar wrote:We have very different views of fully functioning. :lol: I always found ultrabooks not really worth the price for what you get. In the grand scheme of things we are talking about less than 1.5 lbs.

For that 1.5 lbs you trade away some combination of:
Processing speed
RAM
Hard drive space
inferior graphics card
CD/DVD/BR Rom/Writer
Nearly normal size keyboard
1080p Display
Functionality to some degree

With these like netbooks you are pretty much paying for reduced weight and increased battery life. Both of which I personally don't think are worth the reduction in overall performance. Of course OP might not mind that exchange I am just pointing out my own issues between using a netbook for note taking and how laptops aren't those big bulky ass 6 lb laptops most are accustomed to seeing.
Seeing how most ultrabooks are made out of quality materials and are premium laptops, they are usually blazing fast and just feel really really solid. The speed you give up will not matter for a law student.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:06 pm

ilovelawtays wrote:Price out a better attitude, too.
+1

Tekuo

New

Post by Tekuo » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:34 pm

kalvano wrote:
Tekuo wrote:
ilovelawtays wrote:Price out a better attitude, too.
kalvano wrote:I love it when people ask questions but only want answers that support what they want to hear.
Yeah? So asking for suggestions on a netbook and what traits it should have and then getting upset when the answer I recieve is "get a laptop" means I need a better attitude? Makes sense.

Buy an Ultrabook and stop being an ass.
Who are you? Mother Moderator? "Buy a laptop" copy and pasted is being an ass imo.

Posting on a thread without addressing the subject is also rude. Do you go around in public scolding everyone's attitude with your non-existent authority?

To the subsequent messages about what hardware to buy-- thanks. I am still searching for something light to bring to class. I am very unaware of computer technology but most netbooks on Newegg say to buy the netbook and replace parts. If anyone has a good Netbook that successfully journeyed with you through your 1L, please continue sharing.

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:36 pm

LOL ok OP. Go buy your netbook on newegg and upgrade it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tekuo

New

Post by Tekuo » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:40 pm

glitter178 wrote:
glitter178 wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:You guys are being dicks to a disabled person
i dunno. kind of seems like the disabled person is being a dick.
ETA: if you have a disability, the laptop/ netbook distinction isn't going to be a problem, but lugging around 40 pounds of casebooks is. buy a roller bag.

I am aware of the weight of books and do have a locker and roller bag. Still, in my situation, I have to lighten the heavy load where I can. This means buying a netbook and not a 10lb laptop, which I have at home anyways.

As far as being a dick goes, I serve the attitudes that I am given. If you don't like my attitude, the most dignified response you can give is to ignore it and continue your TLS life in someone else's thread.

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:42 pm

I had an Acer Aspire for the first few weeks of law school. It was fine if I didn't want to multitask. Since I needed a laptop anyways for exams, I replaced it with a mx11 which weighed about 4lbs. The laptop was leaps and bounds better; I ended up giving the netbook away.

Tekuo

New

Post by Tekuo » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:50 pm

zanzbar wrote:I got a fully loaded 15 inch Sony Vaio S and it is under 5 pounds. Of course you don't need all the crap I added on mine for a law school comp, but if you already allocating about 700-900 bucks to one then you might want to take a look at one of the more basic models or check out sony's clearance site.

I used a 10 inch netbook for most of my UG career to take notes on because my school had those BS half desks so a normal laptop wouldn't fit without the threat of it falling off. The netbook was pretty good because at the time most laptops were 5+ lbs and the battery life was horrible for most where as my netbook was roughly 3 pounds and had 9 hours of battery life. I also went to a campus where I had a ton of walking to do between classes because I rarely lucked out and had two classes in the same building. In the last two years technology has really caught up on normal laptops and you can get one that is about 4.5 lbs and has pretty good battery life (I think my vaio gets about 5 hours plus, in law school I think every assigned seat has an outlet nearby unlike in those huge UG auditoriums) so the obvious pros of the netbook have really been harmed. Also the cons I personally experience with them were after awhile it just crept up on me how annoying the small text is in every window and this makes the snap function borderline unusable. If you haven't used a netbook before there is a strong adjustment period on the keyboard because it is very cramped and also they are pretty cheaply made so don't expect more then about 18-24 lifespan out of the lower tier ones.

If you also plan on being involved in study groups you have to remember this is probably the laptop you will bring with you so it will have more uses than just taking notes in class on.
I did notice this in my search for a netbook. I did want to stay in the netbook price range since I shelled out a pretty amount for an ASUS gaming laptop. I bought that laptop 1 year ago. Recently, I had some major problems with my physical disability so Lifting 12lbs and placing it on a desk multiple times a day is not an option for me. My law school emphasized bringing a laptop wherever I go. '1L of a Ride,' the book I am going to use as my law bible, also stressed the importance of having a notebook for all school functions-- like the study groups you mentioned.

I will look into the Sony products and look into your suggestion of a smaller notebooks. I am hesitant because I will have two laptops and find that frivolous. However, I haven't seen a netbook that looks stellar yet.
Last edited by Tekuo on Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tekuo

New

Post by Tekuo » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:53 pm

DildaMan wrote:I had an Acer Aspire for the first few weeks of law school. It was fine if I didn't want to multitask. Since I needed a laptop anyways for exams, I replaced it with a mx11 which weighed about 4lbs. The laptop was leaps and bounds better; I ended up giving the netbook away.
How come you couldnt use your netbook for exams? I am starting my first semester so I wouldnt know.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:55 pm

Tekuo wrote:
glitter178 wrote:
glitter178 wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:You guys are being dicks to a disabled person
i dunno. kind of seems like the disabled person is being a dick.
ETA: if you have a disability, the laptop/ netbook distinction isn't going to be a problem, but lugging around 40 pounds of casebooks is. buy a roller bag.

I am aware of the weight of books and do have a locker and roller bag. Still, in my situation, I have to lighten the heavy load where I can. This means buying a netbook and not a 10lb laptop, which I have at home anyways.

As far as being a dick goes, I serve the attitudes that I am given. If you don't like my attitude, the most dignified response you can give is to ignore it and continue your TLS life in someone else's thread.
OP is correct. How DARE you guys come into OP's thread and offer good legitimate advice. THIS IS TEKUO'S THREAD!

On a different note: I just got the new 13 inch Sony S Series Premium and it is the best of all worlds. Super light, thin, fast, and I can play many modern games on high quality if I wanted to. I also replaced the HDD with an SSD. I will buy a dock and a big external monitor when I get to school and it'll serve as a desktop replacement that is also very light and built solidly. All for the price of one ultrabook.

Tekuo

New

Post by Tekuo » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:59 pm

thelawyler wrote:
OP is correct. How DARE you guys come into OP's thread and offer good legitimate advice. THIS IS TEKUO'S THREAD!
Yeah, giving me advice on attitude vs. laptop is legit advice.

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:01 pm

Tekuo wrote:
DildaMan wrote:I had an Acer Aspire for the first few weeks of law school. It was fine if I didn't want to multitask. Since I needed a laptop anyways for exams, I replaced it with a mx11 which weighed about 4lbs. The laptop was leaps and bounds better; I ended up giving the netbook away.
How come you couldnt use your netbook for exams? I am starting my first semester so I wouldnt know.
I ran ExamSoft a few times when the semester started to make sure it was sufficiently stable. It ran fine overall but had random points where it would hang for a few seconds. I didn't know if it was just my netbook, but I didn't want to risk it on the exams.

Also, in case of a reboot, the netbook took a long time to restart. The laptop rebooted much faster overall. The Aspire would be fine for day to day use, but I would burn in a few ExamSoft runs to make sure.

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:02 pm

thelawyler wrote: On a different note: I just got the new 13 inch Sony S Series Premium and it is the best of all worlds. Super light, thin, fast, and I can play many modern games on high quality if I wanted to. I also replaced the HDD with an SSD. I will buy a dock and a big external monitor when I get to school and it'll serve as a desktop replacement that is also very light and built solidly. All for the price of one ultrabook.
^ SSD was the best investment I have ever made. Someone's HDD started whirling mid exam. I feel bad for them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

L-girl

New

Post by L-girl » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:32 pm

I had a laptop for the fall semester of 1L and it was too heavy for me. I had a Toshiba. I had to walk pretty far to my garage and was a commuter also so I had to carry all of my books with me. For the spring, I got an Asus netbook and I love it. It's not tiny and it works great in class. At home, I have a desktop monitor, a wireless keyboard, and a wireless mouse. So I connect my netbook to a dock and then basically have a double screen where I can have different stuff open on the 2 screens. This has worked really well for me. I actually sold my laptop on ebay(which paid for the netbook) and even used the netbook for exams.

So I say get a netbook. It's worth it to have a few less pounds.

ilovelawtays

Bronze

Post by ilovelawtays » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:21 pm

I really hope you don't respond to people in real life this way. The connections you make in law school, and the way people view you and your personality, are way more important than whatever netbook you buy. If you come across as a combative jerk, your reputation will tank. Good luck getting client referrals or job leads if everyone hates being around you...

To be honest, I'm not really sure why you even started this thread. You know you can't carry a laptop, your law school strongly recommends a netbook, and you obviously have internet access to things like Amazon reviews and Consumer reports. Why get snotty with a bunch of strangers if you can just read some reviews and not be an ass to anyone. It's like you need the conflict or something.

Lame.

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:53 am

Tekuo wrote:
Posting on a thread without addressing the subject is also rude. Do you go around in public scolding everyone's attitude with your non-existent authority?
Does anyone know a good 3 day hike in the banff area?

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:01 pm

This thread is awesome.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Honey_Badger

Bronze

Post by Honey_Badger » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:34 am

ilovelawtays wrote:I really hope you don't respond to people in real life this way. The connections you make in law school, and the way people view you and your personality, are way more important than whatever netbook you buy. If you come across as a combative jerk, your reputation will tank. Good luck getting client referrals or job leads if everyone hates being around you...

To be honest, I'm not really sure why you even started this thread. You know you can't carry a laptop, your law school strongly recommends a netbook, and you obviously have internet access to things like Amazon reviews and Consumer reports. Why get snotty with a bunch of strangers if you can just read some reviews and not be an ass to anyone. It's like you need the conflict or something.

Lame.
This.

Tekuo

New

Post by Tekuo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:49 pm

[quote="ilovelawtays"

Lame.[/quote]

Yeah. I really dont know why I did either. I guess I wanted law students to share what netbooks they use.

I am sorry if I came off rude. Well, a little sorry. I dont mean to offend and still believe that the sensitivity here is too easily bothered. Really, Ben just managed to irk me on at a bad time.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”