PhD -> JD? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
kvothe

New

PhD -> JD?

Post by kvothe » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:49 pm

I'm currently enrolled in a PhD program at Stanford (in an engineering field), and I'm thinking about applying to Stanford for a JD (e.g. doing a joint JD/PhD).

I would expect my current status to affect the application favorably -- but to what degree? Does anyone have experience with this sort of situation?

Doorkeeper

Gold

Re: PhD -> JD?

Post by Doorkeeper » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:18 pm

It's definitely seen as favorable, but your UG GPA and LSAT scores still need to be strong and in the range of what Stanford takes (around 3.7+ and 170+). It's not a cure all if you have a 3.20 UG GPA, but it gives a definite bump. I know Stanford Law definitely looks favorably upon having their students do joint degrees.

kvothe

New

Post by kvothe » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:50 am

Thanks, that's good to hear. My undergrad GPA is in the high 3.7s, so it shouldn't be a problem. Sounds like 170+ will give me a very good shot at admission.

$$$$$$

Bronze

Post by $$$$$$ » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:01 pm

kvothe wrote:Thanks, that's good to hear. My undergrad GPA is in the high 3.7s, so it shouldn't be a problem. Sounds like 170+ will give me a very good shot at admission.
Were you an engineer with a high 3.7? Honestly, if you can get into an engineering Phd at stanford, any law school should be yours for the taking. Unfortunately, most would want a 3.9 poli sci than a 3.7 chemical engineer, even if the 3.7 chemical engineer is pretty much 100% employable upon admission.

kvothe

New

Post by kvothe » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:15 pm

$$$$$$ wrote:Were you an engineer with a high 3.7? Honestly, if you can get into an engineering Phd at stanford, any law school should be yours for the taking. Unfortunately, most would want a 3.9 poli sci than a 3.7 chemical engineer, even if the 3.7 chemical engineer is pretty much 100% employable upon admission.
Yes, my undergrad was in an engineering major. I know that law schools don't care about this (e.g. poli sci 4.0 > comp sci 3.9), but I'm hoping that my background will give me at least a slight boost (perhaps a big boost at Stanford).

Also, I think I can make up for this with a high LSAT score, if necessary.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bbsg

Bronze

Post by bbsg » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:12 pm

When I was first researching law schools in the US I took a notebook and wrote down a few words about each of the T14 just to get them straight in my head. For what it's worth, the words I wrote next to Stanford were "Joint-degrees ftw."

I'm unsure why I wrote that, but clearly some of their promo stuff was really pushing hard on joint-degrees. I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I'd say this bodes well for your case.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:48 pm

kvothe wrote:Thanks, that's good to hear. My undergrad GPA is in the high 3.7s, so it shouldn't be a problem. Sounds like 170+ will give me a very good shot at admission.
I think you're right. 3.7x is at/below their 25%, but: a) Stanford loves joint degrees, b) a PhD is a strong soft, and c) A high LSAT can help to mitigate the GPA since you've been out of UG for a few years. If you can get above Stanford's LSAT 75% (173), that would be ideal. From there on out it's all about your personal statement, recommendations, etc.

pixleprincess

New

Post by pixleprincess » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:33 am

Depending on how law-friendly your Department is (like maybe they pref their phds pursue academic or straight tech work to buisness/law) they might have some goods leads for you I've been in a phd program and some of our faculty worked with the university's ls faculty on projects, had spouses in the law school, friends with the dean (ok not of the law school specificaly but my advisor was good friends with the dean of the business school... but basically universities are incestuous, especially elite/ivys with a strong campus culture)... While of course the LSAT will be key - your position sounds like one in which the "who you know" might *actually* help, especially if you score somewhere in the 25th- 75th, that's an advantage few if any other Stanford applicants will have, even the undergrads, if your dept faculty have an interest in placing you in law... I'm not saying it's as easy as your advisor placing a phone call, but it can definately help.
Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”