What are the odds of getting admitted after being waitlisted Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
cardstrong5

New

What are the odds of getting admitted after being waitlisted

Post by cardstrong5 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:44 am

Excuse my ignorance, but if I get waitlisted by a school I'd like to, how reasonable would it be to expect to still get accepted? Does anyone have those general statistics?

emkay625

Gold

Re: What are the odds of getting admitted after being waitlisted

Post by emkay625 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:59 am

It varies widely from school to school and from year to year. Are you thinking of a particular school?

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:01 am

This is a very general question, and therefore the answer depends on the circumstances surrounding the waitlist. Some schools (e.g. Columbia) waitlist a ton of people who have no shot at getting in while other schools (e.g. Berkeley) waitlist only those who have a legitimate chance of eventually being accepted.

If you are above both medians, this is likely a case of "yield protect", and you have a strong shot of getting in provided you convince them that you really want to attend. If are you noticeably below both medians, the waitlist is essentially a soft rejection. If you are around the medians of a school, that's when it becomes hard to predict one's chances, especially amidst the current decline in applicants.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:42 pm

Completely depends on your numbers and the school. By and large though if you are above one of their medians, particularly the LSAT median, your chances are pretty solid.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”