Penn's JD/LLM Program with HKU Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
bobbyflayed

Bronze

Penn's JD/LLM Program with HKU

Post by bobbyflayed » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:16 pm

Answered* thanks
Last edited by bobbyflayed on Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PowderedWater

New

Re: Penn's JD/LLM Program with HKU

Post by PowderedWater » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:34 pm

I'm no expert on the subject, but it doesn't seem to be all that great of a program. For one, the idea of going to HKU during the final year of law school seems to cut your chances at being hired by a firm, given that you won't be around (presumably) to participate in recruiting events and what have you, at UPenn.

Furthermore:

tfleming09 wrote:Before anyone else posts it

You don't hear anything about the JD/LLM combo because it's generally a worthless cost and time sink

bobbyflayed

Bronze

Post by bobbyflayed » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:43 pm

Any other downsides besides 3L recruiting?

When would get offers after 2L SA gigs?

Would having that intl LLM boost me when I attempt the lateral move to Asia after a few years practicing in the US?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:18 pm

bobbyflayed wrote:Any other downsides besides 3L recruiting?

When would get offers after 2L SA gigs?

Would having that intl LLM boost me when I attempt the lateral move to Asia after a few years practicing in the US?
I was considering this for fun, mostly because I like to live in HK for a year. I hear conflicting stories on the program. My contacts in HK tells me that HKU isn't all that great, so benefit of getting a degree there is marginal. Although, having lived/studied there for a year will probably help your cause of trying to apply to a firm in HK.

I don't think it impacts 2L SA at all. You will do your summer, then get offer probably before/around September. I don't think many people do 3L OCI, although you can probably just take the time off to come back and do it.

Several 2L OCI firms hire for HK offices, so you should definitely focus on those if you are interested in working there. You can split between US/HK offices of the same firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”