JD/LLM v. JD/MBA? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
wiseguy

New

JD/LLM v. JD/MBA?

Post by wiseguy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:17 am

Hey guys

I was wondering which combination would be ideal for M&A Law/Corporate Law: JD/LLM or JD/MBA. I hear a lot of hype about the JD/MBA (both good and bad) but I don't hear much hype about the JD/LLM. My ultimate goal is to be a lawyer in the corporate/business field and not enter IB/PE/VC etc. and also my undergrad degree will be in business and I would like to build upon that with the MBA (if I happen to pursue it) and I hope that would be a good reason to build upon for getting my MBA (since I hear about the flight risk issue). All in all though would it be more prudent to get a JD and LLM in Tax or Securities or get a JD and MBA (finance)?

Thanks

TTTehehe

Bronze

Re: JD/LLM v. JD/MBA?

Post by TTTehehe » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:33 am

wiseguy wrote:Hey guys

I was wondering which combination would be ideal for M&A Law/Corporate Law: JD/LLM or JD/MBA. I hear a lot of hype about the JD/MBA (both good and bad) but I don't hear much hype about the JD/LLM. My ultimate goal is to be a lawyer in the corporate/business field and not enter IB/PE/VC etc. and also my undergrad degree will be in business and I would like to build upon that with the MBA (if I happen to pursue it) and I hope that would be a good reason to build upon for getting my MBA (since I hear about the flight risk issue). All in all though would it be more prudent to get a JD and LLM in Tax or Securities or get a JD and MBA (finance)?

Thanks
LLM tax?

MBA with or without WE in business?

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:32 am

tfleming09 wrote:You don't hear anything about the JD/LLM combo because it's generally a worthless cost and time sink
It might be worthless, but sometimes you can complete the JD and LLM in only 3 years and don't have to waste any more time or money. My school doesn't have much in the way of required courses after 1L, so you could do it if you don't mind tax.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:31 am

cinephile wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:You don't hear anything about the JD/LLM combo because it's generally a worthless cost and time sink
It might be worthless, but sometimes you can complete the JD and LLM in only 3 years and don't have to waste any more time or money. My school doesn't have much in the way of required courses after 1L, so you could do it if you don't mind tax.
Yeah but its a lot of extra money for something that will not do you any good. There are several schools that have 3 year JD/MBA programs, including many top schools. Regarding a JD/MBA, the majority of firms do not seem to care. Why spend the money?

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:48 am

top30man wrote:
cinephile wrote:
Yeah but its a lot of extra money for something that will not do you any good. There are several schools that have 3 year JD/MBA programs, including many top schools. Regarding a JD/MBA, the majority of firms do not seem to care. Why spend the money?
I don't get it. I was trying to say that you don't have to spend a single penny more than you would to get a JD to get a LLM (at some schools at least). My school would let you do it concurrently and graduate in 3 years with both degrees.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TTTehehe

Bronze

Post by TTTehehe » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:40 pm

JD/MBA from top program(s) with 1.5 - 2+ years in finance/marketing/etc. can be helpful, and makes more sense than LLM, IMO.

How much that helpfulness is worth is subjective.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:48 pm

cinephile wrote:
top30man wrote:
cinephile wrote:
I don't get it. I was trying to say that you don't have to spend a single penny more than you would to get a JD to get a LLM (at some schools at least). My school would let you do it concurrently and graduate in 3 years with both degrees.
Ah. That makes more sense than if your school won't charge extra for it.

wiseguy

New

Post by wiseguy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:31 pm

With the switch from law school one year then b-school the other year and so forth for the JD/MBA program, does it hurt for a JD/MBA student when it comes to getting like a 2L clerkship/internship?

PowderedWater

New

Post by PowderedWater » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:08 pm

wiseguy wrote:With the switch from law school one year then b-school the other year and so forth for the JD/MBA program, does it hurt for a JD/MBA student when it comes to getting like a 2L clerkship/internship?
I'd seriously like to know more about this as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:47 am

wiseguy wrote:With the switch from law school one year then b-school the other year and so forth for the JD/MBA program, does it hurt for a JD/MBA student when it comes to getting like a 2L clerkship/internship?
It shouldn't.
wiseguy wrote:My ultimate goal is to be a lawyer in the corporate/business field and not enter IB/PE/VC etc. ... All in all though would it be more prudent to get a JD and LLM in Tax or Securities or get a JD and MBA (finance)?
What JD/LLM programs exist that you think would make sense for you?

All in all though. I would focus on getting into the best law schools you can get in to, and then evaluating your options from there.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:29 am

tfleming09 wrote:Before anyone else posts it

You don't hear anything about the JD/LLM combo because it's generally a worthless cost and time sink
I'm confused. This post happened and for some reason there are more posts after it??? Should this not have brought this awful converation to a grinding stop? Or are we going to talk about the many positives of a second rage MBA combined with a second rate JD?

I say, Man the fuck up and get the JD/MD/PhD or be fine with being regular for the rest of your life.

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:25 pm

I'm coming from a corporation to law school and really can't see the point of the JD/MBA at the cost of another year of your life and tuition. I also imagine we're not unique in regards to hiring where we look at experience first. Unless we're talking about a top MBA program...don't bother.

You're better off spending that extra year working.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:11 pm

I'm happy to discuss with you GULC's securities LLM off-line. PM me.

(W/r/t whether an MBA is right for you, consider whether you already have a strong grounding in accounting, finance, etc.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”