Question about "ties" Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
SnapSnapSnap

New

Question about "ties"

Post by SnapSnapSnap » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:09 am

So, TLS conventional wisdom says that outside YH, "ties" to your targeted market generally become more important the further down the rankings you go. What goes for someone who wants to move permanently to their LS's market but has no pre-existing ties, just a love for the city, and plans to stay there?

I am from the west coast but I have no desire to stay/work here. I have always loved D.C., have visited often, chose GULC in part because of its location, and want/plan to settle in D.C./VA/MD long-term. Would lack of pre-existing "ties" mean the difference between getting a job and not, considering most GULC students aren't from the area? (I know it's no YH, but it's not really "local TTTT" either.) Will recruiters call bullshit on my honest answer that I just want to live/work there because I like it? Would the truth sound trite or immature or anything else negative? Is there a better way to frame it? Prior to discovering TLS I didn't know "ties" mattered outside of T1-ish & now I'm kinda freaking out. Thanks for your insight!

Tom Joad

Gold

Re: Question about "ties"

Post by Tom Joad » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:12 am

What we need is a ties market so that if you don't want your West Coast ties you can sell them and acquire someone's DC ties. I might have to get in touch with Epistimizer about this potential cash cow.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:13 am

Use search dammit

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:15 pm

TLS says DC cares less than every where other than NYC. You will need really really good grades to get to DC anyway so worry about that first.

And the whole point is to be able to answer the question. If they ask you why DC its better to talk about your extensive experience visiting, the fact that the federal gov is nearby etc etc than to have nothing coherent prepared.

Tbh they know most people who go to GULC want DC, it's probably a sufficient tie with the right grades.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”