Environmental Law Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
bdonaghy

New

Environmental Law

Post by bdonaghy » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:49 pm

I am currently a biology major with three semesters left and am very interested in practicing environmental law. I was wondering if getting a master in biology/ecology would be worth it along with a JD. Even if it is not much of a benefit, I think it would be something I'd enjoy. I should be graduating with at least a 3.5 along with a minor in chemistry and environmental studies. Any specific law schools I should look into? Would a joint JD/MA be worth it (any specific schools, i haven't found any that advertises a MA in biology besides the Ivy leagues)? Any advice would be fantastic! Thanks so much! Also, if this post doesn't belong in this section or you've already covered this, I'm very sorry! I tried to do a little search before posting.

ben4847

Silver

Re: Environmental Law

Post by ben4847 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:03 pm

bdonaghy wrote:I am currently a biology major with three semesters left and am very interested in practicing environmental law. I was wondering if getting a master in biology/ecology would be worth it along with a JD. Even if it is not much of a benefit, I think it would be something I'd enjoy. I should be graduating with at least a 3.5 along with a minor in chemistry and environmental studies. Any specific law schools I should look into? Would a joint JD/MA be worth it (any specific schools, i haven't found any that advertises a MA in biology besides the Ivy leagues)? Any advice would be fantastic! Thanks so much! Also, if this post doesn't belong in this section or you've already covered this, I'm very sorry! I tried to do a little search before posting.
I'm not aware that envi law involves a sophisticated understanding of environmental science. Laws like the CAA limit specific substances in measurable ways, and the CWA limits any discharge of pollutant from a point source without a permit. Lots of envi work is probably doing due diligence for purposes of CERCLA liability.

But, I could be totally wrong. I just took the basic course.

jackattack17

Bronze

Post by jackattack17 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:12 pm

I don't think the masters will be that helpful, unless you could do a dual degree and it would only take an extra year and not too much more in tuition. Like the other poster said, env'l law is more about interpreting statutes and regulations, and the lawyers leave the more technical stuff to the scientists. Other things being equal (grades, school rep), the MA would give you a little boost, but it's not necessary at all. You already have a good UG background. Look at maybe env'l management or env'l engineering. As for law schools, don't look at the env'l-specific rankings. As in, don't choose Vermont or Pace or Lewis and Clark over a significantly higher (overall) ranked school. The better school will still have env'l classes and it will be much easier to get a much better job. Good luck!

bdonaghy

New

Post by bdonaghy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:51 am

OK thanks for the info! I may need to re-evaluate law school and my career goals if it's not going to be as technical as i hoped for.

Asst. Principal Bone

New

Post by Asst. Principal Bone » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:53 am

bdonaghy wrote:OK thanks for the info! I may need to re-evaluate law school and my career goals if it's not going to be as technical as i hoped for.
But wait young man! I hear Vermont LAw School is a great school for Environmental Law hopefulls. Yodoolaheewhooo...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:47 pm

Why don't you look aroung and find someone from your undergrad who is practicing envi law, and shoot them an email asking to chat

Systematic1

Bronze

Post by Systematic1 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:16 pm

ben4847 wrote:Why don't you look aroung and find someone from your undergrad who is practicing envi law, and shoot them an email asking to chat
Credited.

bdonaghy

New

Post by bdonaghy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:02 pm

Thanks, I'll definitely try to shadow someone in the field.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”