Gun and knife laws in NYC Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
JCFindley

Silver

Re: Gun and knife laws in NYC

Post by JCFindley » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:58 pm

Tom Joad wrote:

Get one of these, breh. 45 caliber.

Nice, and wile I like your vintage model better, I have this which is the same concept....
--ImageRemoved--

fronkman

New

Post by fronkman » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:07 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
JCFindley wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
JCFindley wrote:
Not really worth it when it comes to handguns.... You really can't legally carry one in the City and in the house I would just as well have a shotgun or rifle anyway..... Now, knife wise, I prefer to have one with me but won't break the law to do it.....
Probably. A handgun still might be better in a small place. I know my hallway is too small to really get a rifle turned around holding it level. And it is super low probability to ever be an issue unless you use it.
16 and 1/4 inch barrel is pretty effective in tight spots....
Naw, you gotta go with the Mossberg 500 persuader for the home defense.

ETA: Yours is more stylish.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:09 pm

Shot my first deer with it when I was 12 :)

fronkman

New

Post by fronkman » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:12 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Shot my first deer with it when I was 12 :)
That's awesome, not your typical deer rifle.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:16 pm

fronkman wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
Naw, you gotta go with the Mossberg 500 persuader for the home defense.

ETA: Yours is more stylish.
I would like to get a 45-70 myself.....

Then there is always this, but not in NYC

Tom Joad wrote:Shot my first deer with it when I was 12 :)
Nice......

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:34 am

AreJay711 wrote:You know you could just break the law and if you ever actually needed to use a gun it would be worth whatever consequences you faced.
In New York city possession of a weapon is a crime. You don't have to use it. If a cop finds you with a weapon- knife or gun- you will be arrested. I think you can carry a Swiss army knife if you want a useful tool.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:35 am

AreJay711 wrote:You know you could just break the law and if you ever actually needed to use a gun it would be worth whatever consequences you faced.
--Plaxico Burress, 2007

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:20 pm

sunynp wrote:
In New York city possession of a weapon is a crime. You don't have to use it. If a cop finds you with a weapon- knife or gun- you will be arrested. I think you can carry a Swiss army knife if you want a useful tool.
I see some posts vanished.....

Regardless, this is kind of my point, a swiss army knife is in fact a knife. Not all knives are illegal and there is a specific language in the statutes that should at least give some guidance as to what is a weapon and what is not. The swiss army knife on my key chain is not and I would bet that a butterfly knife with a six inch blade is... Somewhere in between there is a limit as to what is considered a weapon and what is not.....

It is possible to kill someone with a tightly rolled issue of Better Homes and Gardens but it is not in and of itself a weapon. What I am actually looking for is the legal definition of a weapon in NYC and if any specific kinds of knives are illegal there even in the home..... (For instance, switch blades are illegal in many states but the actual legal definition of a "switch blade" varies greatly even among states where they are illegal.)

JC

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:31 pm

JCFindley wrote:
sunynp wrote:

Regardless, this is kind of my point, a swiss army knife is in fact a knife. Not all knives are illegal and there is a specific language in the statutes that should at least give some guidance as to what is a weapon and what is not. The swiss army knife on my key chain is not and I would bet that a butterfly knife with a six inch blade is... Somewhere in between there is a limit as to what is considered a weapon and what is not.....

It is possible to kill someone with a tightly rolled issue of Better Homes and Gardens but it is not in and of itself a weapon. What I am actually looking for is the legal definition of a weapon in NYC and if any specific kinds of knives are illegal there even in the home..... (For instance, switch blades are illegal in many states but the actual legal definition of a "switch blade" varies greatly even among states where they are illegal.)

JC
I looked it up for you - here is the administrative code and a lawyers blog post about it with links to statutes. It seems that knives with blades of 4 inches and up are illegal as is anything that you can flick open. Smaller knives can't be carried openly - like clipped on to your jacket. You might want to take that Swiss army knife off your keychain and put it in your pocket.

http://law.onecle.com/new-york/new-york ... 0-133.html

http://newyorkcriminaldefenseblawg.com/ ... itchblade/

http://newyorkcriminaldefenseblawg.com/ ... state-law/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:35 pm

sunynp wrote:
JCFindley wrote:
sunynp wrote:

JC
I looked it up for you - here is the administrative code and a lawyers blog post about it with links to statutes. It seems that knives with blades of 4 inches and up are illegal as is anything that you can flick open. Smaller knives can't be carried openly - like clipped on to your jacket. You might want to take that Swiss army knife off your keychain and put it in your pocket.

http://law.onecle.com/new-york/new-york ... 0-133.html

http://newyorkcriminaldefenseblawg.com/ ... itchblade/

http://newyorkcriminaldefenseblawg.com/ ... state-law/
Thanks.....

roaringeagle

Bronze

Post by roaringeagle » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:33 am

JCFindley wrote:
superbloom wrote:Live on the NJ side of the Hudson. Slightly more lax gun laws and cheaper COL.

EDIT: Or just not in NYC.
Ya know, not a bad idea and exactly why I lived in VA down here and not MD or DC....
Yeah CC laws in MD are harsh compared to those in VA.

Excellent117

Bronze

Post by Excellent117 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:25 pm

All gun-control does is make it more difficult for law-abiding citizens to obtain firearms, makes perfect sense..../sarcasm :roll:

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:49 pm

Excellent117 wrote:All gun-control does is make it more difficult for law-abiding citizens to obtain firearms, makes perfect sense..../sarcasm :roll:
Not true, proper gun control means being able to draw your weapon then double tap the perp's T-Box without nicking a hostage in less than a second.... Oh, wait, you meant the other kind of gun control; yeah, I don't disagree.....
roaringeagle wrote:
JCFindley wrote:
superbloom wrote:Live on the NJ side of the Hudson. Slightly more lax gun laws and cheaper COL.

Ya know, not a bad idea and exactly why I lived in VA down here and not MD or DC....
Yeah, I never got a CC here as I cross the Potomac a lot and it would instantly be felonious behavior if I did it armed.... Still, the ability to simply BUY a gun or own one just because I want to made me choose VA.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:00 pm

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:05 pm

JCFindley wrote:
Excellent117 wrote:All gun-control does is make it more difficult for law-abiding citizens to obtain firearms, makes perfect sense..../sarcasm :roll:
Not true, proper gun control means being able to draw your weapon then double tap the perp's T-Box without nicking a hostage in less than a second.... Oh, wait, you meant the other kind of gun control; yeah, I don't disagree.....
roaringeagle wrote:
JCFindley wrote:

Yeah, I never got a CC here as I cross the Potomac a lot and it would instantly be felonious behavior if I did it armed.... Still, the ability to simply BUY a gun or own one just because I want to made me choose VA.
One thing I learned in law school is that it is only illegal if you get caught.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:06 pm

AreJay711 wrote:One thing I learned in law school is that it is only illegal if you get caught.
Considering carrying an unlicensed gun in NYC can get you a nice one-bedroom in Riker's Island, are you sure it's worth the risk of not getting caught?

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:13 pm

dingbat wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:One thing I learned in law school is that it is only illegal if you get caught.
Considering carrying an unlicensed gun in NYC can get you a nice one-bedroom in Riker's Island, are you sure it's worth the risk of not getting caught?
It isn't for me......

Beyond that, the whole point of carrying a weapon or having other SD skills is to save your life if necessary. At least to me, spending 7 yrs to life in Sing Sing would basically be a fate worse than death. So, knowing the law, abiding by the law and setting yourself up for maximum advantage while remaining within the law is what I choose to do.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:18 pm

JCFindley wrote:Beyond that, the whole point of carrying a weapon or having other SD skills is to save your life if necessary. At least to me, spending 7 yrs to life in Sing Sing would basically be a fate worse than death. So, knowing the law, abiding by the law and setting yourself up for maximum advantage while remaining within the law is what I choose to do.
With your background, I would assume that your self defense skills are more than adequate for any part of NY where you might find yourself.
The city's reputation as a dangerous place is really a load of bullcrap. There are areas to be avoided, but many parts of the city are perfectly safe.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:29 pm

dingbat wrote:
JCFindley wrote:Beyond that, the whole point of carrying a weapon or having other SD skills is to save your life if necessary. At least to me, spending 7 yrs to life in Sing Sing would basically be a fate worse than death. So, knowing the law, abiding by the law and setting yourself up for maximum advantage while remaining within the law is what I choose to do.
With your background, I would assume that your self defense skills are more than adequate for any part of NY where you might find yourself.
The city's reputation as a dangerous place is really a load of bullcrap. There are areas to be avoided, but many parts of the city are perfectly safe.
NYC is like any other US city. There are places that are fine and places to avoid.... Avoidance is the preferred method... I do like having a knife for many more reasons than SD.... It is a virtual necessity when I am setting up my tent at art shows....

Since THIS is a gravity knife in NY I will be getting rid of it....
--ImageRemoved--

And replacing it with this....
--ImageRemoved--

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:46 pm

JCFindley wrote:Since THIS is a gravity knife in NY I will be getting rid of it....
--ImageRemoved--
How are you going to get rid of it?

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:49 pm

dingbat wrote:
JCFindley wrote:Since THIS is a gravity knife in NY I will be getting rid of it....
--ImageRemoved--
How are you going to get rid of it?
Gotta read up a bit more and see if they are illegal to own or illegal to carry.... One make life easy. The other I suppose I will sell it... (And the other "gravity" knives I own.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tigyrgrl

New

Post by tigyrgrl » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:30 am

Last edited by tigyrgrl on Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:14 am

tigyrgrl wrote:Just some basic thoughts:

Before you sell off any older long barrel weapons (especially ones with sentimental value) run the serial numbers to see if they qualify under as antique firearms. The laws for antique firearms are significantly more reasonable throughout the country.

Anything more modern that you have added any bells and whistles too, check to see if the attachments make the gun more or less restricted. (It can be something really small like changing the trigger guard).
Thanks.....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”