Safe to say Penn and NYU are peers? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: Safe to say Penn and NYU are peers?

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:53 am

Lay people don't have any idea what the fuck a Wharton is either

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:14 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:Lay people don't have any idea what the fuck a Wharton is either
They do.

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:28 am

I think the silly lay-prestige discussion is overlooking how different people in different contexts value different things. People who care about MBAs would know about Wharton and value Penn's connection. Artsy folks or those who studied philosophy might have a higher estimation of NYU. People who care deeply about other things might be more familiar with Columbia. FWIW, my prestige apathetic friends seemed to think of Columbia as a bigger deal than NYU. I initially leaned toward NYU because I'm a philosophy dork. (I changed my mind later.) Business dorks who aren't doing an MBA still might lean toward Penn for similar reasons.

But yeah, these schools aren't Harvard so the point is kinda moot. I hope that people make this choice based on money/fit rather than preftige anyway.

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:59 am

Pretty sure Princeton Law is right next to Harvard Law in lay people's minds.

PowderedWater

New

Post by PowderedWater » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:14 am

KevinP wrote:Pretty sure Princeton Law is right next to Harvard Law in lay people's minds.
I've met quite a few people who sincerely believe that Princeton has a faculty of law.

r6_philly wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Lay people don't have any idea what the fuck a Wharton is either
They do.
I can't speak for how it is in the US, but up north no one really recognizes Wharton, except for anyone sincerely interested in business.
Last edited by PowderedWater on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:17 am

Also, a lot of people don't know the difference between Penn and Penn State

PaulKriske

Bronze

Post by PaulKriske » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:20 am

tl;dr...

rayiner wrote:take Duke over the rest of the T4-14.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:37 am

moonman157 wrote:Also, a lot of people don't know the difference between Penn and Penn State
I am hearing that a lot when people ask me where I want to go, they ask me about Sandusky.

Pate

Bronze

Post by Pate » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:00 am

Donald Trump is a grad from Wharton and whenever he had an apprentice hopeful from Wharton he would announce that they graduated from the best financial school in America (and then asked why they heck they wanted to become an apprentice).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:55 pm

Penn more prestigious than Columbia and lay people knowing what a Wharton is? LOLOLOL

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:58 pm

KevinP wrote:Penn more prestigious than Columbia and lay people knowing what a Wharton is? LOLOLOL
Anyone on the east coast who is in the business world most definitely knows about Wharton.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:01 pm

KevinP wrote:Penn more prestigious than Columbia and lay people knowing what a Wharton is? LOLOLOL
While Penn undergrad was once the "weak ivy," it's undergrad is probably on par with Columbia's now--and definitely ahead of Dartmouth, Brown, and Cornell. As far as lay prestige goes, Columbia probably still wins, though not by miles and miles.

Also, as far as Wharton recognition goes, that depends on who your lay people are. If we're taking country bumpkins, they'll probably only be consciously aware of Local State U, plus the more prominent D1 schools--maybe HYPS. If you're talking lay prestige among college-educated, white-collar professionals, they probably will be aware of Wharton.

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:04 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
While Penn undergrad was once the "weak ivy," it's undergrad is probably on par with Columbia's now--and definitely ahead of Dartmouth, Brown, and Cornell. As far as lay prestige goes, Columbia probably still wins, though not by miles and miles.

Also, as far as Wharton recognition goes, that depends on who your lay people are. If we're taking country bumpkins, they'll probably only be consciously aware of Local State U, plus the more prominent D1 schools--maybe HYPS. If you're talking lay prestige among college-educated, white-collar professionals, they probably will be aware of Wharton.
All these lay prestige talk aside, this truly made me chuckle.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:08 pm

ajaxconstructions wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

All these lay prestige talk aside, this truly made me chuckle.
I'm sorry Penn having a slightly-below tip-top UG is hard for you to swallow.

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:19 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
Anyone on the east coast who is in the business world most definitely knows about Wharton.
I don't deny that it's a top school and people in the business world know. However, east coast business people does not equal most lay people. Most people I've met who have even heard about Wharton don't know it's affiliated with UPenn.
HeavenWood wrote: While Penn undergrad was once the "weak ivy," it's undergrad is probably on par with Columbia's now--and definitely ahead of Dartmouth, Brown, and Cornell. As far as lay prestige goes, Columbia probably still wins, though not by miles and miles.
I'd put Columbia (maybe slight edge to Columbia internationally) and Penn on equal footing in terms of lay prestige. I just take issue with Penn being more prestigious.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:22 pm

KevinP wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:
I don't deny that it's a top school and people in the business world know. However, east coast business people does not equal most lay people. Most people I've met who have even heard about Wharton don't know it's affiliated with UPenn.
HeavenWood wrote: While Penn undergrad was once the "weak ivy," it's undergrad is probably on par with Columbia's now--and definitely ahead of Dartmouth, Brown, and Cornell. As far as lay prestige goes, Columbia probably still wins, though not by miles and miles.
I'd put Columbia (maybe slight edge to Columbia internationally) and Penn on equal footing in terms of lay prestige. I just take issue with Penn being more prestigious.
As far as informed undergrad prestige goes, I would say Penn and Columbia are equals. Columbia definitely has more of a household name though.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:22 pm

Pate wrote:Donald Trump is a grad from Wharton and whenever he had an apprentice hopeful from Wharton he would announce that they graduated from the best financial school in America (and then asked why they heck they wanted to become an apprentice).
I found out about Penn b/c Donald Trump went there and so did Ivanka Trump.

Brown person from DC lay prestige rankings:
1) MIT (top UG engineering)
2) Caltech (top UG engineering)
3) Harvard (top 3 UG)
4) Stanford (top 3 grad engineering)
5) Berkeley (top 3 grad engineering)
6) Yale (top 3 UG)
7) Penn (top 3 med school, top 3 b-school)
8 ) Johns Hopkins (top 3 med school)
9) Cornell (Ivy engineering)
10) UVA
Last edited by rayiner on Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:25 pm

rayiner wrote:
Pate wrote:Donald Trump is a grad from Wharton and whenever he had an apprentice hopeful from Wharton he would announce that they graduated from the best financial school in America (and then asked why they heck they wanted to become an apprentice).
I found out about Penn b/c Donald Trump went there and so did Ivanka Trump. Also, their med school is usually in the top 3. Basically, Penn is in the top 3 for medicine and business, which is why I'd heard of them as a brown person from DC. Columbia is top 3 for...?
A Majority of AIDS and Cancer research coming out of Upenn med/research right now.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:28 pm

rayiner wrote:
I found out about Penn b/c Donald Trump went there and so did Ivanka Trump. Also, their med school is usually in the top 3. Basically, Penn is in the top 3 for medicine and business, which is why I'd heard of them as a brown person from DC. Columbia is top 3 for...?
And now I just found out that Penn has a top 3 med school.

See, normal people throughout the country really have no idea who ranks where. Out west people will ask about Joe Paterno and Jerry Sandusky if you say that you go to Penn. They'll think you are attending some online school if you say Wharton. They'll nod approvingly whether you say NYU or New York Law School. And after hearing the name Columbia, they'll say "Oh that's a good school. Where is that located again?"

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:29 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
rayiner wrote:
And now I just found out that Penn has a top 3 med school.

See, normal people throughout the country really have no idea who ranks where. Out west people will ask about Joe Paterno and Jerry Sandusky if you say that you go to Penn. They'll think you are attending some online school if you say Wharton. They'll nod approvingly whether you say NYU or New York Law School. And after hearing the name Columbia, they'll say "Oh that's a good school. Where is that located again?"
I think this poast encapsulates lay prestige, unless it's the top 3 schools, there is a huge dropoff in lay prestige so who cares.

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:33 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote: See, normal people throughout the country really have no idea who ranks where. Out west people will ask about Joe Paterno and Jerry Sandusky if you say that you go to Penn. They'll think you are attending some online school if you say Wharton. They'll nod approvingly whether you say NYU or New York Law School. And after hearing the name Columbia, they'll say "Oh that's a good school. Where is that located again?"
This rings true to me. It is only a very particular type of person who is aware of these things. There are current law students who aren't fully aware of rankings and what they mean.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Renne Walker

Silver

Post by Renne Walker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:40 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:And after hearing the name Columbia, they'll say "Oh that's a good school. Where is that located again?"
They even ask where is NYU? :roll:

You can thank the movies and TV for that. Movies are about H/Y, even “Suits” is all about H. Northwestern just received a little PR from HBO’s “The Network.” Mostly though, it is slim PR pickings for nearly everyone else.

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:50 pm

NYU gets a decent amount of play in Hollywood: The whole cast of Gossip Girl/ Ross from Friends/ Theo Huxtable/ Finch from American Pie...when the writer wants shorthand for hip/smart/artsy. When a TV show or movie wants to communicate that a character is super smart, they'll always go with HYPS.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:55 pm

hibiki wrote:This rings true to me. It is only a very particular type of person who is aware of these things. There are current law students who aren't fully aware of rankings and what they mean.
Even lawyers, who are about as rankings-conscious as they get (partners will gossip about the Chambers Rankings when they come out, no joke) are only vaguely aware of the current rankings ordering within the T14.

Think about it, you probably looked at the rankings pretty closely when you were applying to undergrad schools in the early 2000's. I know I did. I probably could have told you the top 25 from memory. Do you have any idea where Penn, Columbia, etc, are ranked today? Was U Chicago in the top 10 then? Is it now? How about Duke? Cornell? I honestly couldn't tell you without checking myself.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:27 pm

Renne Walker wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:And after hearing the name Columbia, they'll say "Oh that's a good school. Where is that located again?"
They even ask where is NYU? :roll:
:?:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”